Forum issues/feature requests thread

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I added a new bbcode. This one is [float]. What it does is it allows you to float an image or something off to the left or right and have text wrap around it. It has always kind of bugged me that we didn't have this ability because I would often prefer to have text appear to the left or right of an image instead of on a separate line. I think it might be useful for people that write guides and like to include a lot of images.

The formatting would be something like this:

[float=left or right][img]image url[/img][/float] your text here would appear off to the side of the image and wrap around it.

For example:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, pro omnis semper definitiones id. Mel odio wisi consul ne, impedit voluptua quo ex, deleniti intellegat vix ex. Est etiam ridens appareat ei. Wisi erant id has. Doctus probatus at duo, duo ne habeo laudem temporibus. Qui illum dicunt ex, graece liberavisse nec ad. Ei enim deleniti has, his appetere efficiendi interpretaris an.

Odio atomorum eam te, ad cum enim simul atomorum. Pri ne pericula assentior theophrastus. Congue ceteros tractatos cu pri, cu causae maiorum epicurei mel, mea fastidii posidonium delicatissimi ne. Volutpat posidonium cu sit. Debet paulo at sit, latine legendos eu quo, vix et recusabo rationibus.

At mea purto etiam equidem. Viris quaerendum vituperatoribus has ut, ne est populo scribentur repudiandae. No alia illum quaerendum vim. His ipsum evertitur ut, in dolor conceptam pro. Sumo commune fastidii id vis.

Option accusam rationibus in vel. Saperet ornatus postulant in pri. Ex nam velit utinam alienum, et eum vero affert minimum, eu accumsan hendrerit vim. Enim autem vidisse eam no, at pro mutat efficiendi. Rebum idque vix at, eu legere assentior vix. Eu malorum ancillae verterem vim, sit et amet aperiri. His equidem civibus eu.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Added quick navigation to the user bars.

Fixed breadcrumb links.

Added ribbons to user profiles.

turkenator

━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)
Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed something odd when I was filling in my profile and making an introductory post just now.

Certain pages jump straight to the bottom when they load. The ones it happened to me on were the "personal details" page and the "create thread" page. I tried disabling all browser extensions, but they still jump to the bottom. Not the end of the world, of course, but kinda weird. Also worth noting is if I open them in a new tab with middle click, the jump to the bottom does not happen and the page loads normally. It only seems to happen if I left click to open it in the current tab.

I am using Firefox v44.0 for Windows.

Reactions: clickhappier

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I noticed something odd when I was filling in my profile and making an introductory post just now.

Certain pages jump straight to the bottom when they load. The ones it happened to me on were the "personal details" page and the "create thread" page. I tried disabling all browser extensions, but they still jump to the bottom. Not the end of the world, of course, but kinda weird. Also worth noting is if I open them in a new tab with middle click, the jump to the bottom does not happen and the page loads normally. It only seems to happen if I left click to open it in the current tab.

I am using Firefox v44.0 for Windows.
Try going to your preferences and disabling Sticky Navigation under Style Options. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

I was having similar problems with certain themes for a bit, where pages would keep jumping to weird places when I would load them. But it seemed to correct itself after like a day or two and I'm not sure why. Another person mentioned something sort of similar and disabling Sticky Navigation seemed to fix it for them.

turkenator

━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)
Contributor
Reaction score
-
Try going to your preferences and disabling Sticky Navigation
Nope. I tried all the different combinations of "sticky navigation" and "sticky userbar" being turned on or off. It always seems to jump to the bottom on certain pages.

What I did figure out though, is that it only happens with the default "scratch" theme. If I switch to either of the other two themes I have available, it doesn't do it at all.

Reactions: clickhappier

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
-

Nope. I tried all the different combinations of "sticky navigation" and "sticky userbar" being turned on or off. It always seems to jump to the bottom on certain pages.

What I did figure out though, is that it only happens with the default "scratch" theme. If I switch to either of the other two themes I have available, it doesn't do it at all.
Okay, thank you. I'll look into it.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
We have this Live Update add-on at another forum I belong to and it is AMAZING. You get a little red number on your favicon/on the tab when you have new notifications. Is that something we could have here?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/live-update.274/
I actually came across this about a week ago. I held off, though, because I thought the name might be a little confusing, since we already have a different addon feature with the same name. I did find a different addon that does the same thing, but I kinda forgot about it. :p

Thanks for reminding me, though, lol.

Reactions: essjay

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually came across this about a week ago. I held off, though, because I thought the name might be a little confusing, since we already have a different addon feature with the same name. I did find a different addon that does the same thing, but I kinda forgot about it. :p

Thanks for reminding me, though, lol.
Whatever it's called, as long as I don't have to come back and refresh to see if anyone has applauded my witticisms, I'm cool.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Whatever it's called, as long as I don't have to come back and refresh to see if anyone has applauded my witticisms, I'm cool.
Yeah, I'll take a look. The alternate one that I had picked out didn't have as many customization options, so I'm not sure what sort of load that it would put on the server if everyone had that checking for updates every x seconds. I'll play around with it, though.

Reactions: essjay

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Ha!

I think I figured out the issue with the search function. For some reason, if you click on just the magnifying glass, it doesn't recognize your search input, but if you click on the search button at the bottom, it does. So I guess I was just using it wrong?

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I propose a batch sponsored by mtc and extra donation funds designed to get new members of mtc who are also new to turk and have less than 500 hits to get there quickly and easily. the hits could be set to only people with under 500 hits can do them and the quals could be approved on a person to person bases from contact on the forum like pm'ing an admin their worker id. the hits could be simple 1 click and done hits or other fun creative hits. Jaded @Jaded looks like she was trying to do something like this from her personal funds but something run my mtc might make the forum more newbie friendly. they might even become contributors later :wink:
just my 2c thanks for reading here's a cat gif
peace :p

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
^ I wanted to set something like that up, but I kind of hedged. It's been a really long time since I was a newbie. Is there any kind of learning advantage to doing those first 1000 crap HITs? I don't want to sound like one of those old people who grumbles about kids shoveling sidewalks to build character, but there's something about learning how to build your numbers organically that seems like it might be useful in the long run. Although it might be cool if you could set up numbers HITs that also served to educate or something. Maybe just set up a batch of 500 facts about Mturk, that way when the person finishes, they've done 500 HITs and learned some useful information about... scripts and batches and stuff. But all of that would be dependent on the availability of funds and someone feeling up to running the batch off their requester account. Chances are the donations are going to taper off over the next few months, since a big portion of the members here have already donated and the biggest boom in new users came when everyone fled the other forum like ship jumping koala bears.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I
think there is a learning process more in 1k to 5k than there is from 1 to 1k. Imo anyway, so if I do get around to figuring this out that is what I would do is help to get to 500 or 1k but no further

I do like the idea of the batches being links to resources or faq type things with answers. So that will go on the list of th8ngs to make the hits about rather than tagging pictures of marshmallows.

^ I wanted to set something like that up, but I kind of hedged. It's been a really long time since I was a newbie. Is there any kind of learning advantage to doing those first 1000 crap HITs? I don't want to sound like one of those old people who grumbles about kids shoveling sidewalks to build character, but there's something about learning how to build your numbers organically that seems like it might be useful in the long run. Although it might be cool if you could set up numbers HITs that also served to educate or something. Maybe just set up a batch of 500 facts about Mturk, that way when the person finishes, they've done 500 HITs and learned some useful information about... scripts and batches and stuff. But all of that would be dependent on the availability of funds and someone feeling up to running the batch off their requester account. Chances are the donations are going to taper off over the next few months, since a big portion of the members here have already donated and the biggest boom in new users came when everyone fled the other forum like ship jumping koala bears.

Reactions: Drwho10

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I propose a batch sponsored by mtc and extra donation funds designed to get new members of mtc who are also new to turk and have less than 500 hits to get there quickly and easily. the hits could be set to only people with under 500 hits can do them and the quals could be approved on a person to person bases from contact on the forum like pm'ing an admin their worker id. the hits could be simple 1 click and done hits or other fun creative hits. Jaded @Jaded looks like she was trying to do something like this from her personal funds but something run my mtc might make the forum more newbie friendly. they might even become contributors later :wink:
just my 2c thanks for reading here's a cat gif
peace :p
While I think it's kinda cool to see people doing that for new turkers, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to make it an official forum-sponsored thing. Batches can be really expensive to post, so it's not something that we would be able to do for everybody. It would come down to us having to decide who's worthy of getting numbers batches and who's not, and I think it would just be a bit of a mess.

I'm also not sure how ethical it would be if we were to do that for people. When requesters set the quals on their HITs, they want to be sure that the workers that they're looking for is what they're getting. I don't think it would be fair to them if we were artificially inflating everyone's numbers. Someone could be the biggest scammer in the world and get a free pass to 1k approved, just by being here.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm speaking mainly about doing this as a forum, on a large scale. If people want to do that for other people here and there, that's fine. I just think it should come from individuals rather than the forum itself.

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I should have said this is definitely me doing this on my own not a forum run thing.

I just like posting hits and reading people's nonsense. Some of yall are pretty damn funny.

Edit: I hope I worded this right o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: aveline

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
While I think it's kinda cool to see people doing that for new turkers, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to make it an official forum-sponsored thing. Batches can be really expensive to post, so it's not something that we would be able to do for everybody. It would come down to us having to decide who's worthy of getting numbers batches and who's not, and I think it would just be a bit of a mess.

I'm also not sure how ethical it would be if we were to do that for people. When requesters set the quals on their HITs, they want to be sure that the workers that they're looking for is what they're getting. I don't think it would be fair to them if we were artificially inflating everyone's numbers. Someone could be the biggest scammer in the world and get a free pass to 1k approved, just by being here.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm speaking mainly about doing this as a forum, on a large scale. If people want to do that for other people here and there, that's fine. I just think it should come from individuals rather than the forum itself.
thanks for the insight

Reactions: Jaded and aveline
D

Deleted member 481

I don't know if this is just me, but I'm having issues with the forum showing broken images, usually the avatars, and taking a long time to load. I'm using the latest version of Chrome. I don't have another browser so I can't check to see if it's just Chrome.
I also have the MTC Forum Enhancement script loaded so I'm not sure if that is causing the issue either.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I don't know if this is just me, but I'm having issues with the forum showing broken images, usually the avatars, and taking a long time to load. I'm using the latest version of Chrome. I don't have another browser so I can't check to see if it's just Chrome.
I also have the MTC Forum Enhancement script loaded so I'm not sure if that is causing the issue either.
This is probably not the issue at all, but sometimes it happens to me... If I leave the forum up long enough auto-updating eventually I'm trying to load too many pics and gifs and junk and my browser (also Chrome) starts to slow down. I try to remember to click the time stamp on a new post every once in awhile and it will take me to that post on the correct page for my settings.

^ maybe helpful, maybe not, hope it is though!