Help Us Shape Our Forum!

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I don't really see there being a problem with having a raffle, just in my personal opinion. I don't really think it matters what anyone thinks the admins (as well as mods) are doing or not doing with funds. I feel like if it's ran with transparency, things would probably go just fine.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
For the record, I am much more in favor of a raffle because so many of us are short on funds. I think it's reasonable to ask a dollar to play rather than have an auction which would leave out a lot of our members.

If we could even get half as many of the people that vote regularly to participate that would be about $50. It's not a huge fundraiser but a good little boost and, like you said, is good for the community. Plus there's always the potential for a time when the donations might be short a month and/or an unexpected cost arises. Not to mention they would be getting something real, not a banner or icon or cash prize, but a real thing.
I like the idea of everyone buying a 'ticket' for a dollar and then someone winning it and the money going back towards prizes for other things.

This is just my opinion, though. aveline @aveline is right, we've been accused of profiting on the forum. On the other hand if we are accused of that w/out having raffles, I don't see what the problem is with adding raffles and still getting accused of it.

Still just my opinion not me as staff.

TylerS

Lazy Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
Relatively new member here. I like the raffle idea, but also just want to say - I could give two shits if you guys make a million off this forum (I'd be happy for ya). If it works, people post hits, it's not toxic, and the uptime is good, then who gives a crap? I do like the raffle idea, but just putting that out there. Make some money off of it, why not? You're the ones who set it up, put in time, moderate, etc, I don't see the problem.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Relatively new member here. I like the raffle idea, but also just want to say - I could give two shits if you guys make a million off this forum (I'd be happy for ya). If it works, people post hits, it's not toxic, and the uptime is good, then who gives a crap? I do like the raffle idea, but just putting that out there. Make some money off of it, why not? You're the ones who set it up, put in time, moderate, etc, I don't see the problem.
Agreed. I never understood why people cared whether the forum makes money or not. They don't but who cares if they did?

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter what other people think... but it does matter how the staff feel.

This simple solution to the raffle question is to have it organized and run by forum members, rather than forum staff. Money raising activities are more palatable and less objectionable when they can't be attributed to some form of authority.

Let the person with the most interest in the project take it over... find a way to make it transparent how much is coming in and what it is being used for... the staff can endorse it and participate in it with no authority as members of the community without owning it... problem solved.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Here's an idea... is there a way to notify mods if a new member has posted something that has received no responses whatsoever? It seems that pretty much every post in the Introduction thread gets responses, and I think that made a difference to me when I joined, but I just noticed a post in a different thread that was around three weeks old and had no responses at all, and it was the only post from the member. Getting no responses at all can be quite discouraging..... In reality I can be a cynical and ruthless person, but I DO want everyone do to feel encouraged to participate and do their best!

Reactions: <Gucci> and aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Here's an idea... is there a way to notify mods if a new member has posted something that has received no responses whatsoever? It seems that pretty much every post in the Introduction thread gets responses, and I think that made a difference to me when I joined, but I just noticed a post in a different thread that was around three weeks old and had no responses at all, and it was the only post from the member. Getting no responses at all can be quite discouraging..... In reality I can be a cynical and ruthless person, but I DO want everyone do to feel encouraged to participate and do their best!
Unfortunately, there isn't. We just kinda have to keep an eye out. Unfortunately, we sometimes miss things, though, and it's actually why we set up the whole Mentor thing, just to make sure people weren't being overlooked.

With the nature of this forum, though, and the way we tend to stay in one thread all the time, it can be easy to overlook stuff that gets posted in other parts of the forum. Personally, I have the majority of the forums on this site set to notify me when new threads are made, just so I can make sure people are getting their questions answered. I don't always seem to get the notifications, though, especially in this particular forum, and I'm not sure why.

But it's not really something that should be totally on the staff anyway, IMO. This community really depends on its members to help out other members. We only have a handful of people on staff, and we don't always have all of the answers, so I think it's really important that other members keep an eye on these less-used forums, too. We try to pick up the slack where we can, but obviously the few of us don't possess the entire knowledge of the collective community. This is really one of those things where we need everyone chipping in.

May I ask which thread that you saw this person that wasn't being answered? Maybe I don't currently have notifications set for there, so I'm curious.

Reactions: <Gucci> and kryss

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Here's the thread: http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/so-how-many-people-are-using-turkopticon-2.2599/
I think I must have looked at it since I was in it...
Thank you. And yeah, this is the type of stuff that gets asked around here almost every day, so I think anyone here should be able to answer at least part of that person's question. And sometimes, if I don't know the answer, I'll just link it in the work thread and ask if there's anyone else that can help.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Tuesday the 26th is my birthday and it is Red Dawn theme. Red Dawn tabbies?

Reactions: aveline