How do you use scripts?

craig1954

College prof
Reaction score
I am relatively new at this. I have bought a few books that give general guidance but no specificity. Everything I've seen so far tells me to get various scripts, which I have done, to aid my Turking but nothing as to how to specifically use each one. I want to know what buttons to push, where to put HITS and how, setting alerts, etc., etc. Is there a 'go to' page that may help?
I'm hoping these come under 'the only dumb question is one not asked'

BTW - I'm almost at 1000 HITS!

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I am relatively new at this. I have bought a few books that give general guidance but no specificity. Everything I've seen so far tells me to get various scripts, which I have done, to aid my Turking but nothing as to how to specifically use each one. I want to know what buttons to push, where to put HITS and how, setting alerts, etc., etc. Is there a 'go to' page that may help?
I'm hoping these come under 'the only dumb question is one not asked'

BTW - I'm almost at 1000 HITS!
Welcome! Unfortunately, there isn't really any one source (that I'm aware of) that explains all of the most common scripts. What's popular can kinda change from time to time, so a guide like that would probably become outdated quite quickly if someone wasn't constantly on top of maintaining it. Also, it's difficult to answer without knowing what scripts you installed. Was there anything specific that you would like help with?

Personally, I've never been a fan of how people often throw a million scripts at new turkers that are just learning to find their way. I think MTurk's learning curve is steep enough that if you don't have much familiarity with using userscripts it can become very overwhelming. I think it's best to start with the bare minimum of what you need, then slowly start adding new scripts as you start to understand the shortcomings that those scripts are meant to fill. I think something like MTurk Suite would be just fine for starting out, as it contains many of the essentials. There is documentation for that here: https://github.com/Kadauchi/mturk-suite/wiki