Turking laptop

Fester

Contributor
Reaction score
Have never had a laptop before but really want one. I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of turking in bed at night. Anyone care to recommend a brand or model they like? I've been looking at the Dell XPS15. The only thing I don't like about it is the placement of the webcam on the bottom of the unit. Honestly though, I can't imagine I'd use a webcam very often and if I did want to, I suppose I could buy a clip on webcam.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Nonsense and Shenanigans
Reaction score
YAHU @YAHU might be able to offer some insight

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
Have never had a laptop before but really want one. I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of turking in bed at night. Anyone care to recommend a brand or model they like? I've been looking at the Dell XPS15. The only thing I don't like about it is the placement of the webcam on the bottom of the unit. Honestly though, I can't imagine I'd use a webcam very often and if I did want to, I suppose I could buy a clip on webcam.
I hate that they only offer win 10 now basically, but the dells have been pretty great. I want to say their customer service is supposed to be bad but I can't remember personally having any issues.

Id stay away from lenovo like da plague though

Reactions: TotalBabe

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I hate that they only offer win 10 now basically, but the dells have been pretty great. I want to say their customer service is supposed to be bad but I can't remember personally having any issues.

I had a Dell laptop some time ago. Maybe their customer service has improved in the last ten years, but it was really dreadful when I had my Dell.

Reactions: YAHU

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Dell laptop some time ago. Maybe their customer service has improved in the last ten years, but it was really dreadful when I had my Dell.
the xps' are pretty great, im not so sure about the lower cost models. but back in the day they were absolutely terrible. I think i had a mid-range one and it slowly died into nothingness

Reactions: TotalBabe

VGB

thank you for playing the way you play
Reaction score
My older laptop is a Dell inspiron model and it's still in good condition after a few years. As far as construction goes, they're sturdy as hell. The XPS are real nice but honestly more for high-intensity stuff, imo. However, if you have the coin, they're well worth it.

My current is a mid-range Asus model, the hardware is nice but the shell is a little cheap. Their higher-end stuff is also real nice if you have the money to spend.

Reactions: ducky

hydraliskraider

Cuyler Stuwe (salembeats)
Banned
Reaction score

Funny.

Lenovo is my #1 recommendation.

They used to be well-known for great keyboards on their older ThinkPad series (these days, the resolution and color in their screens is among the best for PC laptop manufacturers). A great keyboard is actually really important for a laptop, because if you want to maintain the portability of the machine, you're not going to want to be toting around an extra keyboard to compensate for a bad one.

The importance of the laptop's keyboard becomes magnified even further if you write code, transcribe, write term papers, or do anything else that's typing-heavy.

I also absolutely love all of the power user features in Windows 10, and I've been putting together a course in using these features (i.e., multiple desktops, window snapping, etc.) to help people be more productive.

You and I are total polar opposites on this issue, aren't we?

Last edited:
Reactions: YAHU

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
Funny.

Lenovo is my #1 recommendation.

They used to be well-known for great keyboards on their older ThinkPad series (these days, the resolution and color in their screens is among the best for PC laptop manufacturers). A great keyboard is actually really important for a laptop, because if you want to maintain the portability of the machine, you're not going to want to be toting around an extra keyboard to compensate for a bad one.

The importance of the laptop's keyboard becomes magnified even further if you write code, transcribe, write term papers, or do anything else that's typing-heavy.

I also absolutely love all of the power user features in Windows 10, and I've been putting together a course in using these features (i.e., multiple desktops, window snapping, etc.) to help people be more productive.

You and I are total polar opposites on this issue, aren't we?
yea

Achilles2357

Reaction score
I got a Dell Latitude as my "work" computer as part of a job, and kept it when I left the job. I actively used it for ten years, and I still hope to restore it to functionality, although right now there is a very basic mechanical issue (I can't get the case open...) that proves an obstacle to fixing it. This is the "business" model and is extremely durable. But I think the cost is quite high. It is also fairly heavy, but that never bothered me. These might be a good buy used though, as businesses may unload them after a few years to buy fancier stuff.

Reactions: Steez

Steez

Woke
Reaction score
You could probably use any laptop to do MTurk work realistically, and if doing work in bed is the goal I would say a smaller laptop/notebook might be the best option. My 15" Acer laptop is a bit bulky for what it is. I envy those who have a desktop, I truly miss having one... Had one ~5 years ago that I custom built myself in 2009, but then went off to college and got a laptop.

Reactions: Achilles2357

Nathan01

Reaction score
I don't know what others used, but I've been using Google Chromebook laptops for quite awhile, i.e. Samsung Chromebook 3, 4GM RAM. Check other brands of Google Chromebook.