01/17 - Three-Bean Thursday

Do you like bacon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Now that the government is on day "Ted Cruz long shutdown grey beard", I"m curious...

how many of you are turking because you are furloughed?

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone feels this way but, wouldn't it be more rude to send someone a Google translated email in what you assume would be their preferred language? (Like if you sent someone something in Korean, for example.) Just checking my moral compass.
Personally, I think it would be rude to send an email in any language other than the one that they've already been using to correspond with you, unless they've agreed to it or you know them on a personal level or something.

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone feels this way but, wouldn't it be rude to send someone a Google translated email in what you assume would be their preferred language? (Like if you sent someone something in Korean, for example.) Just checking my moral compass.
I've done it when there was an obvious language barrier.

EDIT: I don't think it's insulting. I admit that their English is better than my, last time it was Vietnamese, but would prefer to blame any communications errors on Google.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerami

HelloHello

Reaction score
and a government holiday too (wink) but the rest of the working world works! I will have to see if the NYSE and NASDAQ is open - maybe I can get passively wealthier that day.
If you want to see your mturk money send it to the bank before the weekend starts!

Reactions: aveline

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Personally, I think it would be rude to send an email in any language other than the one that they've already been using to correspond with you, unless they've agreed to it or you know them on a personal level or something.
That makes sense.
I've done it when there was an obvious language barrier.

EDIT: I don't think it's insulting. I admit that their English is better than my, last time it was Vietnamese, but would prefer to blame any communications errors on Google.
I feel like they can do it on their end, if they want but, once I translate it into a language that I can't read, I can't guarantee it's voracity.

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
That makes sense.

I feel like they can do it on their end, if they want but, once I translate it into a language that I can't read, I can't guarantee it's voracity.
I did some limited testing with Google Translate in it's early days with people that I knew that spoke different languages. The results were pretty good.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I did some limited testing with Google Translate in it's early days with people that I knew that spoke different languages. The results were pretty good.
I bet when it's bad, it's awful, though. :p

There's usually no, "coming close" with a translator because it doesn't translate for synonyms.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

There's usually no, "coming close" with a translator because it doesn't translate for synonyms.
I mean, just look up any foreign language song and then try to translate it to English... might be discernible, but definitely won't sound fluent/native. I love the fact that language has nuances that computers can't emulate.

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score

I did some HITs when I first started Mturk with some translations that were supposed to have been done from audio in real time. They were pretty awful.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I mean, just look up any foreign language song and then try to translate it to English... might be discernible, but definitely won't sound fluent/native. I love the fact that language has nuances that computers can't emulate.
Too true.:)Sometimes even, the more recognizable the song, the more they had to shoehorn the language into a cadence that isn't standard for it. It can get silly.

Reactions: DareAngel3

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
Bacon is an incredible competitor. Look at that stat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.