02/18 - Foul Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloHello

Reaction score
I got a TV at the beginning of the pandemic (understandably - everyone was like - oh, but your poor daughter!).

It's HUGE. She watched it a handful of times. I watched it two or three times?

And it's broken. (I have NO idea how to throw out the damn thing. I'll have to pay for a day pass at the dump PLUS a fee to dispose of it. I think it will wind up costing me about 100 bucks to get rid of it :(.
How is it broken? I rarely watch the firestick/TV I prefer streaming to my iPad but it was cheap and I wanted to try it. I put up the roaring fire sometimes but then you have your own fireplace! You can do art too versus the fireplace.

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
How is it broken? I rarely watch the firestick/TV I prefer streaming to my iPad but it was cheap and I wanted to try it. I put up the roaring fire sometimes but then you have your own fireplace! You can do art too versus the fireplace.
The screen tipped. It didn't crack, but the picture won't come in :(

• Sad
Reactions: HelloHello

PandaThief

Reaction score
I initially ordered the 4K stick and it was awful so I called and they said the non-4K stick was better due to my type
I'm glad im not the only one, i'm gonna switch back to my old stick and just use this one as a backup. Ugh

KatieinPGH

*Wants Masters*
Reaction score
(I have NO idea how to throw out the damn thing. I'll have to pay for a day pass at the dump PLUS a fee to dispose of it. I think it will wind up costing me about 100 bucks to get rid of it :(.
Before you pay a fee to get rid of it, check with your township/city/borough and your garbage service website. We were surprised when we found out that our garbage company (Waste Management) offers an "At Your Door" service where you request a pickup of electronics and household chemicals, batteries etc and they pick it up for free. You are limited to one tv and only a couple monitors and printers per pickup but it is SO HANDY. And it is never advertised enough so half of our township has no clue it exists.

I did the same at my parents in Ohio, they didn't know their township offered free drop off once a month for TV's and computers and another drop off for all the other stuff that couldn't be thrown away or recycled. And again, there was no fee (and no advertising). Hopefully you'll get lucky! Still no way it should have broken that easily though.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe a connection pulled loose?
Wonder if there is an electronics repair program at a local school where they would pick it up and work on it and either accept it as a donation or fix it for a reasonable fee ????

• Sad

jan

Reaction score
Before you pay a fee to get rid of it, check with your township/city/borough and your garbage service website. We were surprised when we found out that our garbage company (Waste Management) offers an "At Your Door" service where you request a pickup of electronics and household chemicals, batteries etc and they pick it up for free. You are limited to one tv and only a couple monitors and printers per pickup but it is SO HANDY. And it is never advertised enough so half of our township has no clue it exists.

I did the same at my parents in Ohio, they didn't know their township offered free drop off once a month for TV's and computers and another drop off for all the other stuff that couldn't be thrown away or recycled. And again, there was no fee (and no advertising). Hopefully you'll get lucky! Still no way it should have broken that easily though.
we have super duper environmentally friendly set of laws. I'm all for that in principle (and I do MORE than my part. For instance, we can't throw out any food garbage. They will collect it. I do that one better and dispose of it on my property (essentially, I bury it as a compost method). But everything else is pay per throw (I have to buy special garbage bags -each one is 3.00- the $ is basically a surcharge to discourage you from throwing things out).

They also have a place to recycle things (like if you have a chair that is in okay shape - you can take it to the recycle place and anyone can go there and pick it up for FREE).

But big appliances. You have to pay for it. Nothing big like that will be picked up. Ever :(.

HelloHello

Reaction score
we have super duper environmentally friendly set of laws. I'm all for that in principle (and I do MORE than my part. For instance, we can't throw out any food garbage. They will collect it. I do that one better and dispose of it on my property (essentially, I bury it as a compost method). But everything else is pay per throw (I have to buy special garbage bags -each one is 3.00- the $ is basically a surcharge to discourage you from throwing things out).

They also have a place to recycle things (like if you have a chair that is in okay shape - you can take it to the recycle place and anyone can go there and pick it up for FREE).

But big appliances. You have to pay for it. Nothing big like that will be picked up. Ever :(.
You could try offering it for free and somebody who tinkers might take it off your hands?

Reactions: KatieinPGH and jan

HelloHello

Reaction score
You could try offering it for free and somebody who tinkers might take it off your hands?
I suppose you looked into getting it diagnosed to see if you want to get it fixed?

jan

Reaction score
I suppose you looked into getting it diagnosed to see if you want to get it fixed?
I was going to take a closer look (now daughter is at college. totally miserable, btw!!)

I might be able to figure it out. I agree, it's worth another look

vinc01

Reaction score

Charlene22

Reaction score
What about posting it on like Facebook yardsales for free if you want to get rid of it. Someone may be able to at least use parts off it.
I was going to take a closer look (now daughter is at college. totally miserable, btw!!)

I might be able to figure it out. I agree, it's worth another look

HelloHello

Reaction score
You know, jan @jan , now I’m making too much in MTurk, I have an average of 40 dollars a day and I stopped buying on amazon.com! I transfer money using Hyperwallet . I could choose Wise or other to transfer the dollars, but I preferred Hyperwallet because it is recommended by Amazon. Let’s see how it goes in the future... I have to admit, if it keeps up, it’s great.
You could try to earn some Amazon reward cards to pay for the membership (it's what I do) . . . I know swagbucks.com is international and quickthoughts.com too (you need a mobile or ipad for quickthoughts)

Reactions: vinc01

KYKITTY

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else doing these GeoHive's ? I'm on day 4 with no approval's yet.

• Grimacing
Reactions: alk69 and jan

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
do you have freecycle? try that. or maybe post on next-door and craigslist? Or buy a poster of aquarium fish and tape it to screen so you can have the large aquarium you always wanted?
OK, maybe that last wasn't that helpful.

I discovered 5 gallon bucket composting last year.... now we have enough for 2 gardens and some to sell! Alas, my regular supplier (a buddy who owns a restaurant) is retiring, so there goes my regular supplier. But I have a couple dozen stockpiled in the basement

KatieinPGH

*Wants Masters*
Reaction score

That's great! I was just trying to be helpful because a ton of people don't know that their cities and utility companies offer those things for free because it isn't in the bills or mailings. I was thinking you were in the NE US with the snow talk and with my sister and friends throughout CT, Rhode Island and Vermont most of them had free e-cycle pickups they weren't aware of (though my sister in CT is only twice a year, October and March).

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.