02/26 - Muffins on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvadorZombie

The Jon Moxley of Mturk
Reaction score
are the 37 and 33 yr olds staying at home to save money?
People seem surprised by the idea of grown family members living with parents. If they're contributing to the family and everyone gets along, I don't see the problem. It's a very common thing in quite a few different cultures, so maybe it's just a cultural thing. I'm American, my first immigrant ancestors were back in the 1700s so we've been here for a while, but I've always been around older family members through most of my childhood, then when I became an adult I ended up moving back in with my father for a bit...then he developed COPD and heart-related issues, and I stayed with him until he died years later. Then had my own place again for a few years, went back to school, that failed and now I'm living with more family. It is what it is. I've never understood 1) why that's so weird to people, or 2) why people care what others think about their living situation. If people don't like it, fuck 'em.

FunBacon

Reaction score
jeez...my parents kicked me out and took me off their phone plan like a month after I turned 18
The day I turned 18 went to go get my own...and just last night had to inform the ex wife that I was taking her off my plan. She had been saying "I'll pay part...blah blah". It made sense since it would be cheaper, but she couldn't come through. She wasn't a fan to say the least lol.

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
just curious why you would make the 24 year old get his own health insurance when he could stay on yours til 26
because it added to the premium, mom said nomore

Reactions: Liz

ItsAmyTee

Corgo
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Left home out of high school, got married at 22. Always covered my own phone/car insurance. My parents had an odd religion-based health insurance that didn't really cover much, so I was pretty psyched to get on my husband's.

Will probably do things a little differently with my kids.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Vote on a Video of an Olympic performance made by Mechanical Turk workers | Accept
Requester: Mechanical Olympics [A68D1XTF062PP] Contact
TV: [Hrly: $24.83] [Pay: 5.00] [Fast: null] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 3.69] [Fast: 4.33] [Comm: 3.67] [Fair: 4.33] [Reviews: 13] [ToS: 1]
TO2: [Hrly: ---] [Pen: ---] [Res: ---] [Rec: ---] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$0.20
Duration: 15 minutes
Available: 1
Description: Vote on an original video, made by Turkers, of someone performing an interpretation of an Olympic sport.
Requirements: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.1.12
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Pleco @Pleco Classic® some Olympic stuff for you for your withdrawals.
Thanks, this is way better than scratching the shit outta the wood floor by sliding stones on it pretending I was curling, just to get that sweet Olympics fix.

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
because it added to the premium, mom said nomore
i guess everyone's healthcare costs are different, but for me it would have cost me nearly $200/month extra to get my own health insurance whereas it was costing my parents nothing because my dad's plan was "spouse + family" and it didn't matter how many dependents were on it

MagicalStreams

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Reaction score
morning guys :p So... I have good news and bad news. Good news is I'm able to pay for my own phone now, so I'll be getting my own phone and plan... the bad news is that I'll be paying for it at all lol.

I used to be on my parents phone plan but I think its time i get my own :) Sadly thats like 98 bucks a month but I'm happy I can afford it now instead of having to rely on my parents'.

Things are lookin up!

As a parent of an adult (21) child who is determined to stay in my house, use my stuff, eat my food FOREVER...

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
I have no judgments with people living with parents for a while as long as they're doing something with their life. I lived with my mom until 21.

My good friend until 27, got her own place then.
My best friend and her husband, until 2 years ago. They saved up to buy a foreclosed house and kept living with his parents until it was livable.
My boyfriend is 26 and with his parents. He also works 50-60 hours a week and doesn't make a ton of money, plus is never home, so no big deal there.

Edit: my mom wanted me back when my ex left me homeless. Yes I could have been saving 500-600 a month and be out of debt.

But at what cost? My sanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pleco and ItsAmyTee

Liz

Babysitter
Contributor
Reaction score
I made the 24 year old get his own car and health insurance, he makes close to 90k a year, and pays me 400 in rent a month. He's saving all his money to buy a house outright, so I don't really mind. They all know they got 1 more year to GTFO though
That's what my 22 year old says...saving for a house. LIES

jakey baby

Certified Muppet
Reaction score
As a parent of an adult (21) child who is determined to stay in my house, use my stuff, eat my food FOREVER...

awhhhh thank you :) I'm 21 too. I gotta admit the first two years of living here were rough as hell but I'm so thankful for all I've been through. I'm doing better than I ever have.

Status
Not open for further replies.