05/11 - Cult wisdom on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

moderately agree

jan

Reaction score
Here's what mine did and he was living with his grandfather at the time and he ended up in the military. He was just out of high school and bored I guess. And he liked to play with things that make loud noises and cause much damage. I think my dad was afraid of him but he didn't say anything to me or I would of dragged the kid out of grand dad's state to the state I was living in and put down a few rules. Dad didn't want to be alone after Mom died so I left the situation alone. Anyway the kid put an ad in G & A mag selling guess what?! I won't say here but think of the ads that used to run saying 100 ways to prepare hamburger. It wasn't quite that and not hamburger, but it was bad. I didn't know about it until the neighbors told me after the kid went into the Army. I went home and made an inspection of his room after he was gone and found checks from places he ought not to have gotten checks from. This was back in I think 1994. I went to the library and found the mag that was supposed to have his ad and found that was true. It was there and these checks were coming in. I don't know what happened to those as I was informed someone else in the family was handling that. But I began to put two and two together and realized the kid had been given a choice - prison or military. He took military.
good thing he got another chance~! I was listening to a report on NPR about the military ( Devil_Dawg @Catfish ), so I knew that lately they aren't giving out those second chances - (until there's another war, I guess). But folks need other chances - something viable - when things go wrong (or they get boxed into a corner - and don't know how to work themselves out).

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
He knows, his parents are pretty awesome. I spend time with him every couple of years. This explanation gets a bit confusing with the he and she and I stuff, but I had cancer when I was pregnant. I chose to put my kid up for adoption because I wasn't sure what was going to happen with me. Long story short, I'm still alive. I was so scared back then, adoption seemed like my best option, and even now, I think it was my best choice. I was rather sick for a long time after he was born, with chemo and well, just fucking cancer. I love that baby, and I'm really lucky that his parents have never hidden me from him. He's a teenager now, and he seems to like me, but I'm not his parent, and I never will be. I'm not exactly sure what kind of relationship I will have with him when he's grown.
I'm in a very very similar situation, on the opposite end of things. I would say your role down the road might be friend, and while it might be difficult to consolidate those things for you, you'll be able to maintain a relationship that can otherwise be tenuous. If you want to talk about it at all, shoot me a PM.

Reactions: Christa and Tribune

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Have you seen these words? | PANDA
Requester: Rose Mellay [A2OIDTSLJVR3JT] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭ 4.14 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 15
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Have you seen these 25 words? Are they familiar to you? Meaningful?
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.55
Qualifications: Location is one of: CA, US; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95

Title: Decisions, Decisions | PANDA
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.14 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Description: Survey on your choices about product purchases ** Please don't take this survey if you have already taken another survey called Decisions, Decisions **
Reward: $0.60
Qualifications: Location is one of: CA, US; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95

The. 60 is bad (~8 min), haven't done the other yet

Reactions: Tribune and j0e

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Just calmly working down my queue when suddenly, a wild adultnet HIT appears.

Reactions: Tribune

cassius

Reaction score
Well I can almost promise you, it wasn't the Marines that took him.
Nope. They wouldn't of wanted him even if he hadn't done what he did. He was 82ndAirborne, military intel though. But I not sure he ever completed what he owed the military. He was good at trying to get out of that last year. Must of straightened it out though as he landed a job with DOD. I asked someone who works at the sheriff's dept and he told me he's seen this before. If they have a "list" of contacts, a door or two will open for them to land on their feet if and that's a big if, they turn over that list. He said they apparently take them to an interrogation room and literally drill them til they wear them down and get what they want.

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
good thing he got another chance~! I was listening to a report on NPR about the military ( Devil_Dawg @Catfish ), so I knew that lately they aren't giving out those second chances - (until there's another war, I guess). But folks need other chances - something viable - when things go wrong (or they get boxed into a corner - and don't know how to work themselves out).
Here's the major problem with the criminal justice system in America. If you commit a crime and serve time, you are still punished by society pretty much the rest of your life. You lose your right to vote, places won't hire you, etc. It's not right. So if you want this to get fixed and it has to be fixed, we can't keep going this way. Once you serve your time (and sentences are wayyyy tooo long), you come out with a clean slate. That's your second chance, if not we are just keeping people in employment for the purpose of keeping people down.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: First Impressions Survey(~ 10 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Natalie Wittlin [A2JZHN5P14GEZI] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.67 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 13 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: 10-minute survey: first impressions
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.80
Qualifications: Exc: [-2065166257-11718] has not been granted;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 90;Location is one of: US

j0e

Bounty Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Fast and easy content viewing (few minutes for possible $0.60) - E7CCk8xgAVf2R8Vth6nFX | PANDA
Requester: Sticky [A1I5WZRIXY5GS9] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.13 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭ 4.36 Generosity
☭☭☭☭ 4.71 Fairness
☭☭☭☭ 4.70 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 106

Description: Look at some content for a few minutes to help us improve our measurements.
Time: 20 minutes
Reward: $0.40
Qualifications: Age is not greater than 70; Location is US; Age is not less than 18

cassius

Reaction score
See my other message. He managed to land on his feet so far but I don't think it was too easy for him. He knows better than to talk to me about it because I don't care who you are, you don't do what he did. And it was right after the first incident of our you know what and that I think is what got the attention for him. We were just entering the period we live in now that we just cope with day by day and he had the stupidity to do what he did.

Reactions: Tribune and jan

ecko

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the major problem with the criminal justice system in America. If you commit a crime and serve time, you are still punished by society pretty much the rest of your life. You lose your right to vote, places won't hire you, etc. It's not right. So if you want this to get fixed and it has to be fixed, we can't keep going this way. Once you serve your time (and sentences are wayyyy tooo long), you come out with a clean slate. That's your second chance, if not we are just keeping people in employment for the purpose of keeping people down.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Have you seen these words? | PANDA
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.14 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Description: Have you seen these 25 words? Are they familiar to you? Meaningful?
Reward: $0.55

Title: Decisions, Decisions | PANDA
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭ 4.14 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Description: Survey on your choices about product purchases ** Please don't take this survey if you have already taken another survey called Decisions, Decisions **
Reward: $0.60
I didn't catch exact time on the .55 but it wasn't terrible. No writing.

Reactions: Tribune and j0e

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Write Original Job Descriptions of 250 Words | PANDA
Requester: Virtual Worker [A163A5ZMUKOOV6] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 3.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.90 Generosity
★★★★★ 3.48 Fairness
★★★★★ 3.48 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 55 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: Read a selection of 2-3 job postings and then write a generic description for that type of job.
Time: 2 hours
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $4.25
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is greater than 500;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95;Location is US

Status
Not open for further replies.