06/21 - Mental Awareness Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.
Maybe you need some help getting started?
Want more info about how the forum works?
NEW! Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.
Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

Hi everyone!

Been a little over a month since I had last done this and wanted to post an update on myself as well as seeing if any folks here want to check in with how they're doing with life or whatever is going on inside the mind.

Also, if you're not familiar with this, I just encourage people to share their stories of how they themselves have been impacted by mental health in the past and currently. It's a topic that should not be seen as taboo and one that needs to be discusses far more often than it does in the real world. Too often we're told to act tough or to show a tough exterior, but in reality that can only get you so far before internally you start to take a beating. At least, this is my experience anyway.

I have had OCD for all of my life basically. Each day is another chapter in this ever growing book of struggles that I've been dealing with for many years. That being said, my willpower is strong and I firmly believe that I will conquer this for good one day. I think I deserve a life of happiness, and that's exactly the plan I have in mind for myself. This past weekend was surprisingly tough for me, but the amount of good work helped distract me from what was running a muck in my head. It's a learning experience, and one that I'm appreciative of as it will help me towards total happiness in the future.

So tell us, with no judgment held from us, what you're going through and maybe what you're doing on a day in, day out basis to improve. For those that are checking in, what has been done in the past 5 or so weeks (or what has happened) that has impacted your life and that you've learned from. All discussions on this topic are welcomed.

This is a place for not breaking down each other but building up each other. Mental health concerns is something that nearly everyone goes through at some point in their life. I'm sure mods and admins will monitor any averse activity.

So that's the plan of the theme of this thread. Tell each other what's going on, with no judgment. We're a family here, non-traditional or otherwise. I know turking can be a grind, but the interactions with each other doesn't have to be to the mind. You might learn that someone is going through the exact same thing or has the exact same condition you're dealing with. You are truly never alone. This can open up a whole new realm of positivity in your lives, and I really hope that you all appreciate these check-ins as much as I do.

Let's kick ass today. I believe in every single one of you.

Great that you did this, humbleturker @humbleturker !!

Allow me to address "clinical depression" for a moment. I got into a serious spat with an acquaintance two days ago: I'll call him "John.". I'm trying to explain to John the difference between situational- or episodic depression, and clinical- or severe depression. Of course he's only hearing the word "depression" and ascribing to it the definition most people use when they are a bit depressed and/or having a bad day (although that kind of depression can last days, sometimes weeks--and isn't any more fun than clinical depression--but one eventually climbs out of those.

It was just as you said, humbleturker @humbleturker: "...we're told to act tough or to show a tough exterior." Only John is quoating his father and grandfather who, so John tells me, would say to a sufferer of clinical depression, "All ya gotta do is get your head out of your ass."

Well, fuck you, John.

The "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)" is the American Psychiatric Association's standard reference for psychiatry and includes over 450 different definitions of mental disorders. They revise it from time to time. They need to banish the word depression when used to describe or reference clinical- or severe depression and invent/use a different term to describe same. Maybe "severe anhedonia." (Anhedonia is the inability to feel pleasure.) Or "complex anhedonia." Or "my brain is really f*****up now syndrome."

So I think I'm going to write the editors of the DSM and talk to them about what I've talking about here; and a letter-writing campaign might be order somewhere down the road. :evillaugh: [ Or I could just write the President, explain the situation, and he'd have things all straightened out in, well, what?, two or three days? ]

Thank you, humbleturker @humbleturker. I would not have taken the time to write and post this without your encouragement.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
Oww and I am sitting here bitching about 85 degrees, even though I know it will cool down into the 60s tonight. You would consider this to be a nice balmy day.
Ya, I would. 70 or below are my best temps, I think. ... so enjoy your nice balmy weather, fella!!!! :)

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Wait is this Texas related? My sister is flying out to Texas in the AM to visit our mom ... I'm worried between the heat and storms her flight might get canceled. :disrelieved:
I think she should be okay. Maybe a delay but I wouldn't think any her flight would get cancelled. I haven't checked the projections in a few hrs though

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
I was going to make a crude joke earlier about Cindy blowing or something like that. But instead, I brought up my past and derailed the thread,
I thought the storm was called Sidney before a few hrs ago. Shows how much I'm living in a bubble. I'm sure the cindy blow joke would've been great stuff

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some ice cream too! I don't know how you stand such heat, but I hope you have an air conditioner the size of a jet engine to keep you cool enough.
I have an A/C that is just a tad under powered when it is this hot, but it does a sufficient job. I WOULD DIE WITHOUT IT. I have it set to 60 most of the day, and about 5 or 6 or 7 in the morning, it is COLD in here. :)

MindNumbing

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from UCI Driver Research Project for work related to 3IJ95K7NDXCPB9V267FFPFGSMBNGN6.
The value of your bonus is: $8.75 USD

The Requester included this note:
This is your participation payment. Thank you for participating!

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from UCI Driver Research Project for work related to 3IJ95K7NDXCPB9V267FFPFGSMBNGN6.
The value of your bonus is: $8.75 USD

The Requester included this note:
This is your participation payment. Thank you for participating!

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

I made that in one round when I was playing the game.

mypaperheart

I've got a hammer and a heart of glass <3
Reaction score
She should be ok. That's a long way from where we are.
Cool. She has a layover in Phoenix and yesterday they said they had to cancel some flights out of Phoenix from the heat ... so there's another potential roadblock there lol. Haven't checked how that situation is doing today yet...

Reactions: mboone73 and Rerun
Status
Not open for further replies.