Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm always paranoid they can see/secretly judge us for expired shit lmao
Can't they use Abandonment rate (%) as a (dis)Quallification?

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
I'm always paranoid they can see/secretly judge us for expired shit lmao
Lol, I know it freaks me out too. and I feel real guilty for letting HITs expire. Like, I feel like a bum for not getting them done.

Reactions: JenniLeigh

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
That's what I've heard but I've never seen that particular "qualification" used in a HIT before. I feel like it would definitely be used against someone when it comes to getting masters. Which I secretly yearn for.

Reactions: Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Lol, I know it freaks me out too. and I feel real guilty for letting HITs expire. Like, I feel like a bum for not getting them done.
I don't feel very guilty... unless it's got a 1350 minute timer. :)

Reactions: AlexDroog

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
I've seen it used exactly once, not 100% sure which requester it was but I think it might have been Jack Stone (aka Twitter). RIP me if anyone uses it again because I will not hesitate to return mediocre HITs :shrug:

Reactions: Jharkan and Jerami

Achilles2357

Reaction score
yeah, they are really good about paying right. And we make out on the exchange rate. But I've never made any serious dough from them. I put it down to the fact that I'm in a really common demographic - 30's, white, American. There are about 5 million people of that same demographic ready to do surveys for money.
I don't think anyone is going to make big money from Prolific, but it is only recently that I've become good enough at mturk that I've had to throw back Prolific studies since I had better stuff. The other good thing about Prolific is that even if some of the studies have boring standard question sets, on the average they are more interesting than the average mturk "study". Not always, but they have the edge... but if you get better at picking the right mturk studies... mturk can get the edge even there.

Last edited:

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
That's what I've heard but I've never seen that particular "qualification" used in a HIT before. I feel like it would definitely be used against someone when it comes to getting masters. Which I secretly yearn for.
Want to know the secret to getting Masters (and for preventing a high abandonment rate)?...

Reactions: AlexDroog

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I don't think it's used, mostly because I don't think it's high on the priority list for requesters, when assigning qualifications. But, it isn't really a big deal unless a requester allows too much time on their HIT, then they have to deal with delays. But, if it's a reasonable timer, it'll just expire and go back to the pile.

Story about HIT timers. I recall a time when...
I've seen very high paying, single HITs that have a long timer but, are impossible to do for whatever reason(confusing instructions, no submit button, won't load, etc.) and get passed from one person to the next, every 24-48 hrs, because the pay is so high. lol. I remember that I grabbed a $90 HIT that, through communication with the requester, the HIT kept getting more and more involved. He just kept adding stuff. I made some effort on it but, after 2 days, I said eff this, and threw it back. I was going to, but didn't, give them my work, for holding them up for 2 days. Then I said, nope. I'm not getting paid for that. Then someone else here caught it. They had to go through the same lengthy explanations with the requester, got a day into it and said, "this is impossible to do the way that they are asking," and threw it back. It kept popping up for a week but, the problem for the requester was that people were holding it for 2 days before tossing it back. It took like 9 days before someone actually just did it.
Don't know what really made me think of that. Sorry. Just late night rambling.:coffeepc:

Last edited:
Reactions: sudilly

Achilles2357

Reaction score
I've seen it used exactly once, not 100% sure which requester it was but I think it might have been Jack Stone (aka Twitter). RIP me if anyone uses it again because I will not hesitate to return mediocre HITs :shrug:
It is probably partly because I'm not doing many batches, but I'd say I'm returning 20-40% of hits I accept. Maybe even 50%. Some of these are official DQ's (you've done these, please return), others are things I don't meet the demos for (and I'm being honest), others are just bad hits that met some threshold for acceptance but not for doing, and sometimes I just have better stuff in the queue.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I also don't know if a return and and 'Abandon' are the same, metric-wise. I thought abandoned was only for expired timers but, what do I know?

Reactions: DareAngel3

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
I don't think it's used, mostly because I don't think it's high on the priority list for requesters, when assigning qualifications. But, it isn't really a big deal unless a requester allows too much time on their HIT, then they have to deal with delays. But, if it's a reasonable timer, it'll just expire and go beck to the pile.

Story about HIT timers. I recall a time when...
I've seen very high paying, single HITs that have a long timer but, are impossible to do for whatever reason(confusing instructions, no submit button, won't load, etc.) and get passed from one person to the next, every 24-48 hrs. lol. I remember that I grabbed a $90 HIT that, through communication with the requester, the HIT kept getting more and more involved. He just kept adding stuff. I made some effort on it but, after 2 days, I said eff this, and threw it back. I was going to, but didn't, give them my work, for holding them up for 2 days. Then I said, nope. I'm not getting paid for that. Then someone else here caught it. They had to go through the same lengthy explanations with the requester, got a day into it and said, "this is impossible to do the way that they are asking," and threw it back. It kept popping up for a week but, the problem for the requester was that people were holding it for 2 days before tossing it back. It took like 9 days before someone actually just did it.
Don't know what really made me think of that. Sorry. Just late night rambling.:coffeepc:
It's funny you mention that. I pick up a HIT like that every week. I tossed one back today. $20 HIT that wanted me to go through a bunch of corporate document and distil some policies down to a list on a spreadsheet. He put up examples and really tried with the instructions but... I just won't put the time into something I feel has a high chance of getting arbitrarily rejected because some obscure requirement wasn't met. Then I might send out an email saying some shit that I shouldn't.... and who knows where it goes from there. Best to just let someone else deal with the headache. I do alright on here without those HITs. But yeah, I see those things at least once a week. Call it a hot potato or a rejection grenade getting ready to go off in someones face.

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
It is probably partly because I'm not doing many batches, but I'd say I'm returning 20-40% of hits I accept. Maybe even 50%. Some of these are official DQ's (you've done these, please return), others are things I don't meet the demos for (and I'm being honest), others are just bad hits that met some threshold for acceptance but not for doing, and sometimes I just have better stuff in the queue.
alright my HITS returned rate is 21%. My abandonment rate is 2%. My submission rate is 75%. Wonder what happened to the other 2%

Reactions: Michele and Jerami

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
alright my HITS returned rate is 21%. My abandonment rate is 2%. My submission rate is 75%. Wonder what happened to the other 2%
those stats were a pain in the ass to dig up btw

Reactions: jklmnop

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
37 pages of qualifications and about 2 of those pages are relevant. Thanks for the congestion survey comet.

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
I return a lot of HITs that don't put a clear time expected to finish the HIT. Nothing worse than getting a $1.50 HIT and then it saying it'll take 40 minutes in the informed consent. I usually make a point of saying a little something on turkopticon when they do that. This skinny white boy doesn't even think about completing a HIT for less than $1/10 minutes and I think it's unreasonable for a requester to assume I will.

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
I also don't know if a return and and 'Abandon' are the same, metric-wise. I thought abandoned was only for expired timers but, what do I know?
two different metrics on the qualifications page

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
and 2% of my HITs end up in Davy Jones locker!

Status
Not open for further replies.