Books, Books, Books

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like a recommendation
I like fantasy (more than sci-fi)
the wheel of time was 4/5, game of thrones 3.5/5 (got boring), memory thorn and sorrow series was decent enough 4/5, and the fall of the malazan 4.5/5 (only short of 5/5 because I don't believe anything can be perfect)

but I'm looking for something similar to those.
recent reads are flight and solace trilogy

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'd like a recommendation
I like fantasy (more than sci-fi)
the wheel of time was 4/5, game of thrones 3.5/5 (got boring), memory thorn and sorrow series was decent enough 4/5, and the fall of the malazan 4.5/5 (only short of 5/5 because I don't believe anything can be perfect)

but I'm looking for something similar to those.
recent reads are flight and solace trilogy
Oooh

Octavia E. Butler's Lilith's Brood series is one of my all-time favorites (but might be too borderline science fiction for you). I haven't had a chance to read any of her others yet, but she's won tons of awards. Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is another favorite. Neil Gaiman and Teri Pratchett's Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is absolutely hilarious, but no good if you're looking for a serious read. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is also pretty good. You could try American Gods too, I couldn't really get into it but it's supposed to be a major hit. I've read a few books in the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, those are good and definitely straight fantasy.

Let me know if you want some more recs, I'll keep thinking :)

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Oooh

Octavia E. Butler's Lilith's Brood series is one of my all-time favorites (but might be too borderline science fiction for you). I haven't had a chance to read any of her others yet, but she's won tons of awards. Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is another favorite. Neil Gaiman and Teri Pratchett's Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is absolutely hilarious, but no good if you're looking for a serious read. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is also pretty good. You could try American Gods too, I couldn't really get into it but it's supposed to be a major hit. I've read a few books in the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, those are good and definitely straight fantasy.

Let me know if you want some more recs, I'll keep thinking :)
ehhh... the way sanderson took over for robert jordan for wheel of time when he died made me not like him - I didn't like the way he attempted to write like robert jordan (and failed at it, terribly)

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
ehhh... the way sanderson took over for robert jordan for wheel of time when he died made me not like him - I didn't like the way he attempted to write like robert jordan (and failed at it, terribly)
ah, ok. I've read some of Wheel of Time, but couldn't get into it because I had already read the Storm of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I loved the series, but there's a major controversy around it because apparently Goodkind basically plagiarized all of Wheel of Time. It just ruined Wheel of Time for me (even though that was the original...Storm of Truth was my favorite series for a long time and I was bitter that it was all copied).

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
ah, ok. I've read some of Wheel of Time, but couldn't get into it because I had already read the Storm of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I loved the series, but there's a major controversy around it because apparently Goodkind basically plagiarized all of Wheel of Time. It just ruined Wheel of Time for me (even though that was the original...Storm of Truth was my favorite series for a long time and I was bitter that it was all copied).
storm of truth was ok, but the further you get into the books, the more political it got, and it got really boring.
I liked the first two or three books though

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
storm of truth was ok, but the further you get into the books, the more political it got, and it got really boring.
I liked the first two or three books though
the tv series... lol I remember when they announced that show, and I was super excited
my girlfriend was like 'that looks like crap'
and the show
was
crap
it was awful

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
the tv series... lol I remember when they announced that show, and I was super excited
my girlfriend was like 'that looks like crap'
and the show
was
crap
it was awful
I watched one episode and noped out lol

Reactions: Jaded

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched one episode and noped out lol
I did too - I explained to my girlfriend that the girl didn't have her powers yet, I think the guy wasn't supposed to have the sword yet, and it was just ...it was too 1980s. the bad kind of 80s acting.
the intro to the show was nothing at all like the intro to the books.

and I can appreciate when a show or movie will be different than the book - look at norse mythology, told by mouth for so very long, resulting in the same stories becoming vastly different from each other just because they were told in different places, in different forms over the years.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I did too - I explained to my girlfriend that the girl didn't have her powers yet, I think the guy wasn't supposed to have the sword yet, and it was just ...it was too 1980s. the bad kind of 80s acting.
the intro to the show was nothing at all like the intro to the books.

and I can appreciate when a show or movie will be different than the book - look at norse mythology, told by mouth for so very long, resulting in the same stories becoming vastly different from each other just because they were told in different places, in different forms over the years.
I'm kind of a snob when it comes to books being made into movies/TV shows. I get aggravated because so often they completely change the story line or character development. I was willing to give it a try, but you're right, the acting was just so bad I couldn't make myself.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kind of a snob when it comes to books being made into movies/TV shows. I get aggravated because so often they completely change the story line or character development. I was willing to give it a try, but you're right, the acting was just so bad I couldn't make myself.
but that's just it. sometimes the difference between different media can be seen to have come from a different point of view.
I mean, we both know that's not the actual, exact reason.
you can't shove hours and hours of character development, a book that takes over a week to read and think about
you can't exactly shove that into a two hour movie and get the same affect
game of thrones makes each book into a series that's what, ten-twelve hours per season, like twenty hours per book?
I don't know, I didn't watch the show

Reactions: themildone

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
but that's just it. sometimes the difference between different media can be seen to have come from a different point of view.
I mean, we both know that's not the actual, exact reason.
you can't shove hours and hours of character development, a book that takes over a week to read and think about
you can't exactly shove that into a two hour movie and get the same affect
game of thrones makes each book into a series that's what, ten-twelve hours per season, like twenty hours per book?
I don't know, I didn't watch the show
i know :( I guess I just look forward to seeing an actual representation of characters I love, and when I don't get exactly that, I kind of lose interest. I don't like that I do that, but it's hard for me to do otherwise

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
i know :( I guess I just look forward to seeing an actual representation of characters I love, and when I don't get exactly that, I kind of lose interest. I don't like that I do that, but it's hard for me to do otherwise
the theatre of the mind is much more capable than any special effects artist will ever be

Reactions: themildone

El Pablo

ಠ_ಠ
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about half way through the 2nd GoT book, when do they start veering off from the show? Well when does the show veer off, you know what I mean.

Only difference I've noticed so far, and it's terrible it wasn't in the show, is when Danny's dragons suck milk from her tits.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm about half way through the 2nd GoT book, when do they start veering off from the show? Well when does the show veer off, you know what I mean.

Only difference I've noticed so far, and it's terrible it wasn't in the show, is when Danny's dragons suck milk from her tits.
lmao I totally forgot about that. I've read the first 5? books, but only watched the first episode, so I have no idea...but now I think I need to reread them and finish the series.

Reactions: El Pablo and Jaded

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm teaching a few intro to lit courses this semester, and I'm crowd sourcing (hurr durr) for some new works. Any short stories or poetry you particularly love? I'm mostly looking for some contemporary works to shore up the reading list, but I'm open to anything.

Reactions: TotalBabe

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm teaching a few intro to lit courses this semester, and I'm crowd sourcing (hurr durr) for some new works. Any short stories or poetry you particularly love? I'm mostly looking for some contemporary works to shore up the reading list, but I'm open to anything.
I minored in English and have always thought teaching a class might be quite interesting. I really like this short story by Eudora Welty called "Why I Live at the P.O." It may not be to everyone's tastes, but it always gives me a laugh when I read it.

One of my favorite poems is Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 (which is probably not a very interesting choice). I like "Longing" by Matthew Arnold, too. Not very contemporary, I'm afraid. :)

Reactions: redtokyoboxers

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
I minored in English and have always thought teaching a class might be quite interesting. I really like this short story by Eudora Welty called "Why I Live at the P.O." It may not be to everyone's tastes, but it always gives me a laugh when I read it.

One of my favorite poems is Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 (which is probably not a very interesting choice). I like "Longing" by Matthew Arnold, too. Not very contemporary, I'm afraid. :)
Love Eudora Welty! I was seriously considering using that particular short story, but it unfortunately had to be cut. Course description has me teaching short story, poetry, drama, and the novel. Just not enough time.

I'll use that sonnet for sure! I use Sonnet 130 as a point of comparison for other sonnets, and it's a lot of fun to talk about the language used. Thanks!

Reactions: TotalBabe

Binxybaby

Reaction score
Its almost beach weather here in FL so I'm thinking about good books to bring to the beach.
I have a kindle but I'm always torn between not wanting that to get ruined and wanting to have a physical book in my hand.
I was stuck in traffic the other day and was like, man I wish I had a book right now lol

Jaded @Jaded if I buy your book in kindle form instead of paperback do you get less money out of the deal? I only ask because I want to make sure Im not jipping you out of money.

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Its almost beach weather here in FL so I'm thinking about good books to bring to the beach.
I have a kindle but I'm always torn between not wanting that to get ruined and wanting to have a physical book in my hand.
I was stuck in traffic the other day and was like, man I wish I had a book right now lol

Jaded @Jaded if I buy your book in kindle form instead of paperback do you get less money out of the deal? I only ask because I want to make sure Im not jipping you out of money.
I get about the same either way iirc, something like 1.30 vs 1.50

Reactions: Binxybaby

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I get about the same either way iirc, something like 1.30 vs 1.50
But buy whichever one you would rather read :o I don't care how much I get, I just like that other people are reading it and (hopefully) like it.

Reactions: Binxybaby