Administrator
Reaction score
Nevermind :)

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, so, the grayscale coloring books had little miniature versions of one of the pictures inside it so I decided to try that rather than ruining a full-size image if I messed up.

The skin smudged a little when I tried to use the blender pencil to smooth it out a bit, so I think maybe light colors I need to try and refrain from using the blender pencil

I also chose this picture just so I could tag coffeeowl @coffeeowl because it's an owl and I tried to make it coffee colored.

I think it turned out neat but it's definitely something I'm gonna need to fiddle around with.

Last edited:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Okay, so, the grayscale coloring books had little miniature versions of one of the pictures inside it so I decided to try that rather than ruining a full-size image if I messed up.

The skin smudged a little when I tried to use the blender pencil to smooth it out a bit, so I think maybe light colors I need to try and refrain from using the blender pencil

I also chose this picture just so I could tag coffeeowl @coffeeowl because it's an owl and I tried to make it coffee colored.

I think it turned out neat but it's definitely something I'm gonna need to fiddle around with.
Awws! Lovely owl and fairy. :love:
I want to go hang out with them.

Reactions: Rerun and Jaded

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of colouring lately.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score

I love how the fairies are all one color in different hues. Really need effect. Is the name of the book in the second spoiler named Dia de los Muertes? The skull looks so awesome.

Reactions: essjay

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I love how the fairies are all one color in different hues. Really need effect. Is the name of the book in the second spoiler named Dia de los Muertes? The skull looks so awesome.
Yeah, I just used the one pencil, but layered and/or varied pressure.

The second book is just called Dia de Los Muertos, yes, but my husband picked it up at the dollar store and I can't find it anywhere online to purchase.

Reactions: scrmcasey

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: essjay and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

Wow, I'm really loving them one pencil fairies. (All of them are gorgeous but those ones really stood out as awesome.)

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful as always! And lovely to see you around here.
Wow, I'm really loving them one pencil fairies. (All of them are gorgeous but those ones really stood out as awesome.)
Thanks, ladies, that means a lot.

I got the idea from r/coloring, which I try not to browse too often because I consistently feel bad about my abilities when I do.

I do like working with just one pencil, though, because I'm trying to work on my shading. I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing a lot of the time.

Reactions: coffeeowl and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously we are effective at time management today:

Oh! I like her hair! I like seeing when people color things I've colored too :O O: :O

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I

I'm feelin iffy about the grayscale. Some of it does really well (like the yellow on bee girl) some of it not so much (like the red in her hair) Sometimes I can blend it to smooth it out and make it look better (The green on the O) and sometimes the gray smudges real bad when I try and blend (The black smudges at the bottom of the K) I figure this is me needing to get used to it, or that I'm using the wrong pencils. It seems like the lighter Prismacolor pencils and the harder Raffine pencils I have do better than the darker Prismacolor, and the softer Raffines.

Okay, that's all the ramblies. I should probably go write.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I

I'm feelin iffy about the grayscale. Some of it does really well (like the yellow on bee girl) some of it not so much (like the red in her hair) Sometimes I can blend it to smooth it out and make it look better (The green on the O) and sometimes the gray smudges real bad when I try and blend (The black smudges at the bottom of the K) I figure this is me needing to get used to it, or that I'm using the wrong pencils. It seems like the lighter Prismacolor pencils and the harder Raffine pencils I have do better than the darker Prismacolor, and the softer Raffines.

Okay, that's all the ramblies. I should probably go write.
Heh, the 6y/o assigned this page to me but only wants me to use two pencils and there's too much space so I have already checked out of it.

I'm also mad at another page the 10y/o challenged me to colour using only red, yellow, blue and black pencils because I was trying to make purple and I fucked it all up and now everything is the worst.

Reactions: scrmcasey and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Heh, the 6y/o assigned this page to me but only wants me to use two pencils and there's too much space so I have already checked out of it.

I'm also mad at another page the 10y/o challenged me to colour using only red, yellow, blue and black pencils because I was trying to make purple and I fucked it all up and now everything is the worst.
I kinda wish I'd tried something a little more interesting (rainbows or something) for the OK but I was really just sort of playing around.

Making purple SOUNDS like it would be fun but maybe it doesn't quite as well with pencils :muted:

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I kinda wish I'd tried something a little more interesting (rainbows or something) for the OK but I was really just sort of playing around.

Making purple SOUNDS like it would be fun but maybe it doesn't quite as well with pencils :muted:
I think it actually looks much better in this picture than it does IRL. The orange and the green were easy. I have erased and started the purple over four times, though, and am saying fuck it at this point because there's so much buildup on that part of the page that if I try to do something else, I'll probably rip it or make it even worse.

Reactions: scrmcasey and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it actually looks much better in this picture than it does IRL. The orange and the green were easy. I have erased and started the purple over four times, though, and am saying fuck it at this point because there's so much buildup on that part of the page that if I try to do something else, I'll probably rip it or make it even worse.

That looks a lot better than I pictured. (I pictured it based on my ability, not yours :p ) I think it looks pretty nifty, but I know sometimes it doesn't matter that it looks cool to outside eyes!

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks a lot better than I pictured. (I pictured it based on my ability, not yours :p ) I think it looks pretty nifty, but I know sometimes it doesn't matter that it looks cool to outside eyes!
Ha, yeah, I totally get what you're saying. It's not the worst, but I'm definitely not pleased with it.

Reactions: Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Ha, yeah, I totally get what you're saying. It's not the worst, but I'm definitely not pleased with it.
This is probably a really dumb question, but how did you get the colors to mix properly to make the orange, green, and purple? Did you just color in the same spot with all the colors or was there some blending from both sides going on?