Forum Guidelines and Moderation Discussion Thread

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, dunno exactly how it would work. Maybe new members from the last 3/6/whatever months who haven't won a major award, with criteria as some mix of what it takes to win Crowd Pleaser and HIT Poster.

Is there an example of a person who would win this award so I can get a sense of what it's like? I don't know when people joined.
It wouldn't have to be tied to join date if we didn't want it to be. It could be fewer than 300 posts or some number like that.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Since crowd pleaser sometimes seems to be more of a popularity contest and HP is based on posting hits, I would't be opposed to lowering the amount of $ for CP and focusing more on HP.
I like this idea too. By at least making them equal it will give HP a bit more prestige.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
What should the equal amount be?
I haven't thought that far ahead yet. :p

Currently

CP $40
HP $20

If we're serious about doing a rookie award, you could make them all equal $20/banner/donation perks.

Or like some have suggested, making HP more prestigious than CP.

Reactions: Jaded

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
It wouldn't have to be tied to join date if we didn't want it to be. It could be fewer than 300 posts or some number like that.
Could definitely do something like that if everyone likes the idea, I'm not sure what the other parameters would be though. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I haven't thought that far ahead yet. :p

Currently

CP $40
HP $20

If we're serious about doing a rookie award, you could make them all equal $20/banner/donation perks.

Or like some have suggested, making HP more prestigious than CP.
If the only change is balancing that out, I would give the HIT Poster winner $30 and the banner, the runner up $10, and the Crowd Pleaser $20 and the banner.

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I support the two win lock out. I also agree with awarding more to HP vs CP especially since sometimes being diligent with hit posting takes away from the work time for the person posting. Of course on that note, that's probably why some don't post hits at all but it's nice to reward those who are helping out in that way accordingly.

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I just got back.

Also, do you feel if the two time lock out would discourage people from posting HITs?

Is this something you all feel we should take a vote on?
It wouldn't discourage me. I work from home and have the availability to post HITs throughout the day. I like being able to help people :)

Is there anyway to create a third type of post? right now we have only two types, "hits" and "not hits". if we could have a third "off topic" type you could add the option to not show them, the same way you can go into "hits only" mode. place an option in the reply box that lets the poster mark their post as OT.
My personal reasons for not going into grind mode is that there is a lot of very useful info that gets discussed and i do not want to miss out on that, this would allow someone to avoid the discussions not work related without missing out on the good stuff.
This may not be possible but it is an idea i have been thinking about for awhile.
This is a great idea :)

Or add a Rookie of the Month award for newer members to encourage new blood but not discourage veteran HIT posters.
Brilliant! I would suggest some parameters though regarding their activity. And of course check that it's not a person just trying to scam every month (if people do that).

Isn't the reward for Crowd Pleaser higher than Hit Poster? That one could be lowered and help pay for part of the new award. I know the mods don't want to do this, but really the Crowd Pleaser could just be a banner and come with no reward, I think most people would be happy with the recognition alone.
CP definitely should not be a high reward award ... totally agree.

Since crowd pleaser sometimes seems to be more of a popularity contest and HP is based on posting hits, I would't be opposed to lowering the amount of $ for CP and focusing more on HP.
I think it would be beneficial to try and limit the 'popularity' type activity if possible. We should try and steer towards inclusivity and away from exclusivity.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I don't know if it's possible, but could the HP winners be ranked higher if they add a time to the hits that they post. The completion times post are very rare here. Thanks
I think that might prove difficult because I'm not sure how we would track it.

Reactions: <Gucci> and Jaded

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
How about a "Mentor Banner" to members who are available to help out new members, can be reached via PM, who solicit questions throughout the day in the Daily Work Thread and who frequent the MTurk Help & Resources threads?

ETA: Would be a volunteer type based thingy offered to select members (loose idea)

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Brilliant! I would suggest some parameters though regarding their activity. And of course check that it's not a person just trying to scam every month (if people do that).
I do like this and it seems judging by the amount of likes Kerek @Kerek's post got, a lot of others like the idea.

electrolyte @electrolyte mentioned earlier that it wouldn't have to be by join date, but could also use the amount of posts they have.

I'm not sure what the other parameters are that we could use, other than nominations of members under a certain post count.

I'm wondering if anyone else has anymore input/ideas on the rookie award idea.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I do like this and it seems judging by the amount of likes Kerek @Kerek's post got, a lot of others like the idea.

electrolyte @electrolyte mentioned earlier that it wouldn't have to be by join date, but could also use the amount of posts they have.

I'm not sure what the other parameters are that we could use, other than nominations of members under a certain post count.

I wouldn't want to exclude a newish but active user who exceeds whatever post limit you set, especially if those posts are HITs. So I'd say if they're either newer than a certain amount of time or under a certain number of posts they're eligible. I also think this is an idea that sounds better in theory than it will be in practice.

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to exclude a newish but active user who exceeds whatever post limit you set, especially if those posts are HITs. So I'd say if they're either newer than a certain amount of time or under a certain number of posts they're eligible. I also think this is an idea that sounds better in theory than it will be in practice.
Definitely needs to be fleshed out, but it's a solid idea :)

ecko

Contributor
Reaction score
How about a "Mentor Banner" to members who are available to help out new members, can be reached via PM, who solicit questions throughout the day in the Daily Work Thread and who frequent the MTurk Help & Resources threads?

ETA: Would be a volunteer type based thingy offered to select members (loose idea)
This is a awesome idea. I would be happy to volunteer for something like this.

VGB

dr. peepee poopoo
Reaction score

a reasonable amount of posts/week could be used; so, say you have a lurker who has introduced themselves and thrown in a comment here or there before decides to start posting HITs more often, this wouldn't penalize them for join date or even for previous posts, but reward them for becoming an active member. Setting some kind of "active" member threshold could help with that.

But like Kerek @Kerek said this does sound better in theory than practice, I'm not sure how feasible this is.