Show me yo foods

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Took almost no thanksgiving food photos because I was busy, but the really important meal was turkey ramen today :hungry:

Good lord that looks delicious. Forget the turkey, turkey ramen should be our new national tradition.

I've been meaning to ask, is your kitchen area flooded with natural light? Or do you have a really nice camera? Because the lighting on your pics is always on point.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Good lord that looks delicious. Forget the turkey, turkey ramen should be our new national tradition.

I've been meaning to ask, is your kitchen area flooded with natural light? Or do you have a really nice camera? Because the lighting on your pics is always on point.
It was amaaaazing - simmered for 3 hours with the bones from a smoked turkey + onion, carrot, ginger and a tiny bit of star anise and garlic. I didn't make a tare sauce so I just used korean soup soy sauce and a little chinese cooking wine in there and then let people add extra soy/black vinegar/chili oil to taste.

I do have a big window facing that countertop, but it's the back of the house and shaded by a big tree so it's not crazy bright. My pantry gets a lot more light so I often take things in there for a quick photo. My camera is an entry-mid canon DSLR (60D I think?) with a few mostly Sigma lenses that were fairly cheap as far as lenses go. :snaphappy:

BocaCylon

Contributor
Reaction score
Sondi @Sondi

that ramen looks incredibly good, you're such a great cook. I'm going to save the photo so I can try and replicate it some other day. What kind of broth do you use for the ramen, can I use chicken broth if I have it around?

Reactions: Sondi

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Sondi @Sondi

that ramen looks incredibly good, you're such a great cook. I'm going to save the photo so I can try and replicate it some other day. What kind of broth do you use for the ramen, can I use chicken broth if I have it around?
Thank you! It would kind of work but I wouldn't recommend it since the major selling point is the broth so you want it to be as delicious as possible! Even if you just have some chicken thighs / legs you could simmer or a rotisserie chicken carcass with the meat picked off I would recommend doing that over using canned/boxed broth. It will be well worth it!

It is basically this recipe, but I added a few extra things I mentioned above to the stock.

oh. I've never had ramen before.
I'll be over at 6, K?
never?!? I wish we saved you some :p

BocaCylon

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! It would kind of work but I wouldn't recommend it since the major selling point is the broth so you want it to be as delicious as possible! Even if you just have some chicken thighs / legs you could simmer or a rotisserie chicken carcass with the meat picked off I would recommend doing that over using canned/boxed broth. It will be well worth it!

It is basically this recipe, but I added a few extra things I mentioned above to the stock.
thanks Sondi, I'll definitely be trying this. Tonight I made couscous with fresh chopped spinach, lemon, garlic and coriander (Nick Stellino recipe) plus some leftover turkey on the side. Forgot to take a photo though.

In more important news, one of my favoirte catalogs is back in business, chefscatalog.com sent me a new catalog today and I guess they reopened their website too. Chef knife and cooking equipment p0rn basically. Target bought them a few years ago in a very misguided move, screwed it up totally, shut it down a year or two ago and it's nice to see them back as sometimes the special sales are worth it. I still have a good supply of the chef knives I used to sell, so don't need anything really, but can't help looking at and wishing for that nice Wusthof nakiri knife/slicer with hollow ground edge, no it's not perfect like a Japanese knife but it's incredibly sharp and easy to maintain for a non-professional home cook like me.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Unlovely photo of the socca (chickpea flour pancake) pizza I've been making about once a week lately because it's really easy and the recipe is easy to remember so I don't have to look it up :bode:

Recipe:
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil + more to grease the pan

The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream, and it's best when it rests for at least 10 mins (I usually make it a couple hours in advance when I remember.) Oil a quarter sheet pan and bake the batter at 450 for 10 mins, then take it out, top, and bake for 10 more minutes.

I've made it with kale pesto, mozzarella, chopped veggies, regular pizza sauce.. basically anything that can go on a pizza. It's a different texture (think pancake) but it satisfies the pizza cravings without all the bread.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Just sweet potato things - shredded cheese, greek yogurt, green onion, Frank's hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles. One day I'll get my real camera out again...

Reactions: coffeeowl and Pleco

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Red Lentil Curry with Rice

I LOVE curries in the winter. I do variations on this recipe: https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/2018/01/red-lentil-curry-soup/

I substitute carrots for the red peppers (adds some more sweetness and I prefer them), and cook them with the onions and garlic. You can leave out the ginger or turmeric or substitute chili powder for the cayenne pepper. I add some red pepper flakes too. The only thing you don't want to substitute are the red lentils. Green or brown would not be good in this so just get the red. I also don't puree it because I like to serve it over rice. Today I realized I forgot the sweet potatoes when I was buying groceries. So I added 1 cup of long-grained white rice to the pot. Doesn't add to the cooking time and saves a step later. You can freeze it as well. I usually freeze half for another week.

Sooo good and comforting! :hungry:

Reactions: TSolo315 and Sondi

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Red Lentil Curry with Rice

I LOVE curries in the winter. I do variations on this recipe: https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/2018/01/red-lentil-curry-soup/

I substitute carrots for the red peppers (adds some more sweetness and I prefer them), and cook them with the onions and garlic. You can leave out the ginger or turmeric or substitute chili powder for the cayenne pepper. I add some red pepper flakes too. The only thing you don't want to substitute are the red lentils. Green or brown would not be good in this so just get the red. I also don't puree it because I like to serve it over rice. Today I realized I forgot the sweet potatoes when I was buying groceries. So I added 1 cup of long-grained white rice to the pot. Doesn't add to the cooking time and saves a step later. You can freeze it as well. I usually freeze half for another week.

Sooo good and comforting! :hungry:
Oh! That looks really good (I love the giant hunks of avocado on the blog version too :hungry:). Beans/legumes and rice are some of my favorite comfort foods.

I did lentils tonight too and I actually took a picture!

bacon and egg lentil rice bowls -- I threw in some kale for extra nutrients and because it was already chopped and massaged from last night. We'll probably have this again tomorrow with avocado instead of bacon (because we ate it all...).

Reactions: coffeeowl

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Oh! That looks really good (I love the giant hunks of avocado on the blog version too :hungry:). Beans/legumes and rice are some of my favorite comfort foods.

I did lentils tonight too and I actually took a picture!

bacon and egg lentil rice bowls -- I threw in some kale for extra nutrients and because it was already chopped and massaged from last night. We'll probably have this again tomorrow with avocado instead of bacon (because we ate it all...).

:eek: Lentil twinsies? And that looks amazing too! I'd try that (without the bacon). Yummmm!