What does your username mean?

Achilles2357

Reaction score
One of the more surreal SNL sketches ever....

That... was interesting. I used to watch that SNL team way back when, but I don't remember that one. Pretty good though... I sometimes watched Mr. Belvedere too...

Reactions: <Gucci>

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Jerami

Well, it's obviously my name. But the reason I chose to spell it this way, as opposed to the way it's spelled in real life, is because that's how I've been spelling it for 20+ years. I've been using that spelling, even though it's legally Jeremy, because it's more phonetic. Or, at least, it's less likely to be mispronounced. You see, one of the most beautiful sounds to any person's ear is the sound of their own name, pronounced correctly. One of the most unappealing is the sound of their own name being mispronounced. I grew up in the state of Maine which, as beautiful as it may be, is no sanctuary for those of us who have been blessed with more than a second syllable in our names.

So, after years of being called Germany in primary school, I moved on to high school. There they began calling me Germy. This was better but was inappropriate when I got a job as a server at a restaurant. Nobody wants their food delivered by somebody who's Germy. lol. I proceeded to shorten it to Jer(pronounced J-air). This was visibly, if not admittedly, appreciated by friends, acquaintances and even family who could not seem say, "Jeremy." My happiness was cut short when I found that the ease and simplicity at which my new nickname was adopted and parrotted back was only the case when heard, and not read. That's when they started calling me, "Jrrrrr." Like Tony the Tiger after oral surgery.

I then went through an eclectic phase and tried Jayre(also pronounced J-air, I guess), which read as Jay-Ree or sometimes just plain old Jerry. At this point, Jerry was close enough that it made me smile. I can be stubborn at times and I figured, "These people(locals) have been mispronouncing my name for 20 years. I just want someone to get it right! If they can't get a normal name, like Jeremy, right, I'm going to make it annoying for them as well!" So, I left it as Jayre and let most people stumble over it for 5 minutes before saying, "close enough," without taking the time to correct them, as if they could never understand anyway. lol.

I eventually settled on Jerami. Lots of guys at the time(the 90's) mentioned that names that end in "i" were "girl names." I said, "you're probably right," and settled more firmly into my new spelling.:D My mother makes it a point of saying Je-RAAAH-mi now, not remembering or grasping the fact that, regardless of spelling, she's said it wrong for as long as I have memory.

Funny Side Note: Until the age of 25, only 3 women/girls had ever pronounced my name correctly. I fell in love with, and dated for multiple YEARS each, all 3 of them. I was engaged to 2.
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose..."

Last edited:

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Back when AOL chatrooms were the place to be, I created CaseySCRM for a role-playing game. This helped ensure that I was able to play as Drew Barrymore's character Casey from the movie Scream. I ended up using the handle for everything as this is my favorite scary movie. In 2001, I got married, moved out of my mother's home, and she was upset with me. So, she logged into my aol account, changed my password and started imitating me to my friends. No, I still have no idea why she did that to this day.

So, I flipped my name around to scrmcasey and had to notify all of my friends and family that the other version was definitely not me. I've used scrmcasey ever since. Scream is still my favorite scary movie and I could probably recite the entire dialogue from memory if that's something you're into.

TL;DR: scrm is Scream and casey is a character from that movie.

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
mmmm mine. Savvy is a term we love to used in parelli natural horsemanship. it means the more knowledge you collect the more savvy you are obviously. i'm very horse savvy. labell is a screen name i've used forever. Lauren is my name!

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Jerami

Well, it's obviously my name. But the reason I chose to spell it this way, as opposed to the way it's spelled in real life, is because that's how I've been spelling it for 20+ years. I've been using that spelling, even though it's legally Jeremy, because it's more phonetic. Or, at least, it's less likely to be mispronounced. You see, one of the most beautiful sounds to any person's ear is the sound of their own name, pronounced correctly. One of the most unappealing is the sound of their own name being mispronounced. I grew up in the state of Maine which, as beautiful as it may be, is no sanctuary for those of us who have been blessed with more than a second syllable in our names.

So, after years of being called Germany in primary school, I moved on to high school. There they began calling me Germy. This was better but was inappropriate when I got a job as a server at a restaurant. Nobody wants their food delivered by somebody who's Germy. lol. I proceeded to shorten it to Jer(pronounced J-air). This was visibly, if not admittedly, appreciated by friends, acquaintances and even family who could not seem say, "Jeremy." My happiness was cut short when I found that the ease and simplicity at which my new nickname was adopted and parrotted back was only the case when heard, and not read. That's when they started calling me, "Jrrrrr." Like Tony the Tiger after oral surgery.

I then went through an eclectic phase and tried Jayre(also pronounced J-air, I guess), which read as Jay-Ree or sometimes just plain old Jerry. At this point, Jerry was close enough that it made me smile. I can be stubborn at times and I figured, "These people(locals) have been mispronouncing my name for 20 years. I just want someone to get it right! If they can't get a normal name, like Jeremy, right, I'm going to make it annoying for them as well!" So, I left it as Jayre and let most people stumble over it for 5 minutes before saying, "close enough," without taking the time to correct them, as if they could never understand anyway. lol.

I eventually settled on Jerami. Lots of guys at the time(the 90's) mentioned that names that end in "i" were "girl names." I said, "you're probably right," and settled more firmly into my new spelling.:D My mother makes it a point of saying Je-RAAAH-mi now, not remembering or grasping the fact that, regardless of spelling, she's said it wrong for as long as I have memory.

Funny Side Note: Until the age of 25, only 3 women/girls had ever pronounced my name correctly. I fell in love with, and dated for multiple YEARS each, all 3 of them. I was engaged to 2.
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose..."
I named my daughter Emerie... with the intent of it being pronounced Em-Marie, or at the very least Em-er-y. Now, I hear people say "Em-rie" and cringe. I hope she grows up with as positive of an attitude towards mispronunciation as you did, and also settles for a guy who adopts my version :LOL:

Bluedogan

Reaction score
I love art. I always have. One of my favorite painters was George Rodrigue. He did a very successful line of paintings called Blue Dog. So a while back when I joined up for Reddit I made my name Bluedogfan. Only I fucked up and typed it Bluedogan. It just stuck.

As for my avatar. It is Gaston of course. I love reading as much as Belle and I always cracked up when he held it sideways.

chuchotant

I made that batch faaamous
Reaction score
[En] Chuchotant (shoo-show-tuh) means whispering in French. Ever since first taking French back in 1991, I've loved the word. (2nd favorite word is also French word: zezayer (zeh-zeh-yay) which means to lisp (which I have)).
I am a scorpio and one of the symbols of scorpios is the phoenix. I think I was just searching for phoenix and my avatar image came up. I liked it and it reminded me of a phoenix in an abstract way.
When <Gucci> @<Gucci> calls, you answer (even if its a couple days later :ROFL:). Here you go. I remembered I had contributed to this thread before

Reactions: <Gucci>

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Krikket is from my lifelong passion of all things bugs. That particular spelling I use for continuity on multiple sites. I found that 'Cricket' was usually taken. My old avatar was of a Jerusalem Cricket, which is actually not from Jerusalem or a true cricket but is just one of my favorite bugs. Always delighted to find one of them under a rock :) Current avatar is a festive owl because owls are fucking adorable.

THFYM

Neither Agree Nor Disagree
Contributor
Reaction score
"TurkHardForYourMoney" was the first quick "Turk" related pun I thought of so I could upvote on r/HWTF. It carried over to MTG, then was later shortened since no one bothered to type out the whole thing anyway.

hockeyfan87

Reaction score
I uh...like hockey. Nashville and Columbus to be precise. 87 (born in 1987) is a reference to how old I am, not because I'm a Crosby fan (ugh).

waffles

Hi?
Contributor
Reaction score
I uh...like hockey. Nashville and Columbus to be precise. 87 (born in 1987) is a reference to how old I am, not because I'm a Crosby fan (ugh).
i also enjoy the hockey

edit: also can i change my nick to waffles?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacis Amans