01/12 - The Phenomenal Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsutiger25

Contributor
Reaction score
that explains the student loans :p A bunch of my friends in college are going through med school right now. At least one of them chose the air force academy route so his med school is paid for
Thats the way to do it....my husband had thought about going to the USNA but ended up choosing to stay close to home and have undergrad paid for with scholarships and work to save money for med. school. Thats the biggest thing I think most people don't understand....they think doctors make a ton of money ( don't get me wrong they do) but what they don't understand is the amount of student loans they have + most residencies only pay 50-60k a year. Our best friends are both doctors, I don't even know how much student loan debt they have...but they are closer to 75-80k a year in insurance.

Lauren

Reaction score
How much in total do you owe? We're sitting around 150k left and we pay around 50k a year in malpractice insurance ( which is also tax deductible)
i think it was around 150k borrowed but will come to 250k with interest when it's paid off. i've officially been paying for a year, one of my loans was like 114k last year when i started paying and I paid 13k on it over the year and it's still at 110k one year later (that one is 8% interest and a 15 year loan). i don't mind paying back what I owe but the interest is insane and it's a real struggle having to pay income tax on the money that's going straight to the loan companies. which is why I really think we should move to a consumption tax system.

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats the way to do it....my husband had thought about going to the USNA but ended up choosing to stay close to home and have undergrad paid for with scholarships and work to save money for med. school. Thats the biggest thing I think most people don't understand....they think doctors make a ton of money ( don't get me wrong they do) but what they don't understand is the amount of student loans they have + most residencies only pay 50-60k a year. Our best friends are both doctors, I don't even know how much student loan debt they have...but they are closer to 75-80k a year in insurance.
Yeah when you owe hundreds of thousands it digs into the nice salary which is well deserved for the amount of work you have to do. Especially the work leading up to the competitive as fuck med schools and the stressfull residencies

Reactions: sofaslug

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: Kliq

lsutiger25

Contributor
Reaction score
i think it was around 150k borrowed but will come to 250k with interest when it's paid off. i've officially been paying for a year, one of my loans was like 114k last year when i started paying and I paid 13k on it over the year and it's still at 110k one year later (that one is 8% interest and a 15 year loan). i don't mind paying back what I owe but the interest is insane and it's a real struggle having to pay income tax on the money that's going straight to the loan companies. which is why I really think we should move to a consumption tax system.
Exactly- I can't even look at the bills at the end of the year that this is how much you've paid to the principal: $5,506 and interest: 11 MILLION DOLLARS BWHAHAAHAH

* I sweat thats what it seems to say haha

Reactions: sofaslug and Lauren

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about your opinions | PANDA
Requester: Irit [A18711AQZQXOZW] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 2.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.25 Generosity
★★★★ 1.80 Fairness
★★★★★ 2.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 6 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: Give us your opinion about mobile use
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 90;Total approved HITs is greater than 50;Location is US

Lauren

Reaction score
yeah i was saying how ridiculous it is how doctors overcharge for stuff that it's getting so ridiculous. but maybe if tuition wasn't through the roof and people didn't try to sue them every 5 seconds, they could lower what they cost.

It should not cost more than like $20 for:
doctor: "how is everything? any problems?"
me: "no"
doctor: "ok great, here's a refill for your prescription which is not included with the $180 I'm charging you for this two minute visit you're required to come to just to get a refill on your prescription even though you could've told me you were ok over the phone"

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
(He's not.)

I lived near Austin for a while, I never actually went there though. It was a pretty area. I think money is really important when you live in Texas, being poor there absolutely sucked. I've been dirt poor in three states now and that's by far the worst. (Unless I count my month in california. But we don't talk about that.)

In other news, I just got a rogue Z that was a "proposal planning" company...with a thing at the bottom that was like, "Hey ladies, want to give him a nudge? Just enter his email and we'll email him about our services. It will be our little secret." Whoa. :yuck:

Reactions: loki3404

alithia

Oblivion
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet baby jesus, you all are giving me an aneurysm with these student loan numbers! My two bachelors cost me a total of $26k. o_O

Matilda Jones

Grey Ghost
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Play a fun and interactive game, up to 0.5$ bonus (~25-35 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: schneidman lab [A38QRZYQDZN614] (Contact)
TO: [Pay: 4.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Comm: 2.33] [Fast: 5.00] [Reviews: 9] [ToS: 0]
Description:
In this game you will interactively learn to classify abstract images. You can earn up to 0.5$ bonus for high performance. We expect the game to take ~20-30 minutes +~5 minutes for a short survey at the end
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $3.00
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is greater than 500; HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 85; Schneidman lab 30.11.16 previous participant has not been granted;
HIT posted from Mturk Suite v1.2.1
Just caught this off panda, it took about 14 minutes.

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score

In other news, I just got a rogue Z that was a "proposal planning" company...with a thing at the bottom that was like, "Hey ladies, want to give him a nudge? Just enter his email and we'll email him about our services. It will be our little secret." Whoa. :yuck:
Good way to scare them away :p

Reactions: minkyboodle

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.