01/29 - Favoriting Friday!

Who do you think should escape going to council this week?

• http://www.mturkcrowd.com/posts/27497/

• http://www.mturkcrowd.com/posts/27539/

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. The problem comes in to when you want to do something above or different from coding and you need to be able to convince the people in charge that you're worthy. Again, it wasn't about talent. It was "how do I convince a board to give you the reigns to this branch of the company when you're not college educated?"
They will take experience over education every time. The people at the top want to make money. They care about what you have done. Trust me, if you can build websites that are better and more efficient than some kid coming out of college who's never had a job, they will choose you every time.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Title: Play a short visual pattern game | PANDA
Requester: Brock Ferguson [A15EQNVZDX3QHR] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 3.50][Fair: 5.00][Comm: 0.00][Fast: 4.50]
Description:
On a series of trials, you will be shown two sequences of shapes and asked to determine whether they follow the same or different pattern.
Time: 10 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $2.00
Qualifications: Masters has been granted; Total approved HITs is not less than 50; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95; Location is US

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
It's definitely offensive to the anti-pineapple crowd, but I am of the opinion that bread and cheese go with almost everything :)
It was actually more the chicken and barbecue sauce on pizza that I find offensive.

Reactions: Jaded and Sondi

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Dynamic Decision Making Laboratory for work related to 3E6L1VR4XWMU2RDAN5MCF0KITAHF6A.
The value of your bonus is: $3.05 USD

The Requester included this note:
Dear participant, Thank you for taking part in our study on decision making. You have earned the following bonus based on your recorded performance. Thank you again for your interest in our studies. Dynamic Decision Making Laboratory

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It was actually more the chicken and barbecue sauce on pizza that I find offensive.
Would you find a bbq chicken sandwich offensive?! It's basically that but flatter :p

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I used to supervise temp workers who graduated from ITT tech. They got paid worse than I'm currently making now. I was making okay-ish money at that job, but had to quit because I moved three hours away (long story)

But a community college would be alright, you think?
Go to community college and take every class you can that will transfer to a 4 YEAR SCHOOL. Take as long as you can then transfer to the 4 year school to allow you to get that 4 year degree from there while limiting the number of expensive classes (and all those fees) you have to take there.

Reactions: sparklekittie

CatWhiskers

Looking In Your Fridge
Reaction score
I'm throwing in the towel, going to get food, and watch cat videos the rest of the night. (not really, just half of it).

Shout out to C to the J for being patient with me today and my non stop questions. And shout out to the rest of youse for the entertainment.

Reactions: C to the J

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
bah, you can almost put anything on pizza and it's ok. except miniature fish that's just nasty

Reactions: Aydiarose and Sondi

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
They will take experience over education every time. The people at the top want to make money. They care about what you have done. Trust me, if you can build websites that are better and more efficient than some kid coming out of college who's never had a job, they will choose you every time.
That's just completely incorrect. Yes, you can get an entry level job in the field without a degree, based entirely around your talent. Above that is very limited without the piece of paper.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Reactions: C to the J

Just Matthew

And the bottom drops out.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's just completely incorrect. Yes, you can get an entry level job in the field without a degree, based entirely around your talent. Above that is very limited without the piece of paper.
liiike when your server farm is overheating and they want you to get the HVAC guys in there and you need to come up with a better cooling solution but you never took thermodynamics on coderwhatever.com and when they want the entire bussiness plan presented to them on monday but you can't do that either because you never took a single business class and have no idea how to write one properly.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on the company. There are plenty of places that will trash your resume if you don't list a degree.

DanTheManGum

Reaction score
liiike when your server farm is overheating and they want you to get the HVAC guys in there and you need to come up with a better cooling solution but you never took thermodynamics on coderwhatever.com and when they want the entire bussiness plan presented to them on monday but you can't do that either because you never took a single business class and have no idea how to write one properly.
Reboot it. That's what my IT guys tell me.

GoldenTemple

Serial Liker
Contributor
Reaction score
Experience will always trump a degree and here is why I say that. It depends on what world you want to enter. Do you want to enter the corporate world? Yes, then you might need a degree but it really doesn't gaurantee anything. It gets you to the interview, your skills or lack there of get you the job when its time to show you can write. So many people use google to help them with their code instead of actually learning how to write ande debug. If you actually know your craft and are a master at it, you can self promote yourself. You don't need to get hired in that sense. You can freelance your talents online and make plenty of money. There are people who make like 30-40k a year on odesk helping start ups.

Last edited:

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Translation from English to Arabic | PANDA
Requester: Jon Mitchiner [AGMUUPHBK4TZ2] (TO)
TO Ratings: No TO (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Translate 4 documents from English to Arabic
Time: 60 minutes
Reward: $10.00
Qualifications: Masters has been granted

Title: Translation from English to Portuguese | PANDA
Requester: Jon Mitchiner [AGMUUPHBK4TZ2] (TO)
TO Ratings: No TO (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Translate 4 documents from English to Portuguese
Time: 60 minutes
Reward: $10.00
Qualifications: Masters has been granted

On the off chance that anyone speaks/reads either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.