04/01 - Silly Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
That job is a legacy position that is only there as a 'hold over' until the next generation. As it is, the new business model is 6 self-cashout aisles being monitored by one human. Then, once the tech is perfected, they won't need the human for every 6. They'll need one human for the entire store. There will be a HIT where you watch a minute of aisle footage for $.20 and see if the help light comes on. Then you click, "Yes" and the human reacts in real-time. :p
Ehh, as long as there are stores, there will always be some human cashiers for people who are unable to do self check out, like people with disabilities. And in some places/states, it's currently not legal to use self check out if you're buying alcohol.

blackpupjean

Reaction score
That job is a legacy position that is only there as a 'hold over' until the next generation. As it is, the new business model is 6 self-cashout aisles being monitored by one human. Then, once the tech is perfected, they won't need the human for every 6. They'll need one human for the entire store. There will be a HIT where you watch a minute of aisle footage for $.20 and see if the help light comes on. Then you click, "Yes" and the human reacts in real-time. :p
yes, I can see that coming. Then the customers can be even more irate. I had some guy complain to me that he should be paid if he goes to self checkout and bag his own groceries. I was like, then don't go to self checkout.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Ehh, as long as there are stores, there will always be some human cashiers for people who are unable to do self check out, like people with disabilities. And in some places states, it's currently not legal to use self check out if you're buying alcohol.
I agree that there will be a human or 2. I just don't think that the lion's share of the work will be done by humans in the, not too distant, future. :)

Last edited:

blackpupjean

Reaction score
Ehh, as long as there are stores, there will always be some human cashiers for people who are unable to do self check out, like people with disabilities. And in some places states, it's currently not legal to use self check out if you're buying alcohol.
Really, in Wisconsin you can, but the self checkout register will alert the self checkout host so he/she can check for an id. I think there will always have to be a smoke shop register though, as in the store I work in, customers can only buy tobacco products at one register.

Reactions: Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Really, in Wisconsin you can, but the self checkout register will alert the self checkout host so he/she can check for an id. I think there will always have to be a smoke shop register though, as in the store I work in, customers can only buy tobacco products at one register.
Eventually, it will scan your ID and use biometrics to see if you are you. It will make less mistakes than human cashiers when checking for fake IDs. imo

Zenophanes

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I agree that there will be a human or 2. I just don't think that the lion's share of the work will be done by humans in the, not too distant future. :)
"Does this video contain footage of a human performing the following action: Shoplifting"
It will be...an interesting future, to say the least.

blackpupjean

Reaction score
I tell, I have gotten more of a thick skin dealing with these customers, but oh vay, some of these people need to take baths. No skin thick enough to stomp out the smell. The way they dress also. Wow, no self respect at all. I've seen it all.

blackpupjean

Reaction score
"Does this video contain footage of a human performing the following action: Shoplifting"
Yeah, there is shrinkage at the self checkout registers, hard for one host to watch 6 registers. Especially when they are busy helping someone.

Reactions: Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
There are some HITs like that. Not worded that way but, you are classifying videos of customers interacting with products. Then, they can filter out all of the ones that the human doesn't touch a product, before scanning for security purposes. They happen around Christmas, when employees are too outnumbered to catch everything. Sometimes, they do all the footage, sometimes they just 'spot check' on their employees throughout the day.

Reactions: theturkscribe

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Demographics survey | Accept
Requester: Panos Ipeirotis [A3DL93QTPE513P] Contact
TV: [Hrly: $29.18] [Pay: 4.18] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 4.44] [Fast: 4.75] [Comm: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 59] [ToS: 1]
TO2: [Hrly: $16.00] [Pen: 0.04 days] [Res: ---] [Rec: 100% of 2] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$0.10
Duration: 1 hour
Available: 1
Description: Demographics survey
Requirements: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.1.19
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: <Gucci>

sudilly

Bubble Hell Avenger
Contributor
Reaction score
I tell, I have gotten more of a thick skin dealing with these customers, but oh vay, some of these people need to take baths. No skin thick enough to stomp out the smell. The way they dress also. Wow, no self respect at all. I've seen it all.
I'm sure you've seen this but it's good for a laugh.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Reactions: GTR

Shadowmoo

Contributor
Reaction score
Any common batches up?

Shadowmoo

Contributor
Reaction score
Are noah worth doing?

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Short survey study on body image during pregnancy, for women currently pregnant only (~10 mins)(~ 10 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Anna Klas [A1D4XPJVDLFSI1] Contact
TV: [Hrly: $15.42] [Pay: 4.50] [Fast: null] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 4.69] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 14] [ToS: 0]
TO2:
No Reviews
Reward: $1.00
Duration: 55 minutes
Available: 34
Description: A 5-10 minute study investigating pregnant women's body image. You will be asked to answer questions about your: demographics, current pregnancy, and body image. Participants must be currently pregnant to take part in this study.
Requirements: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 5000; Exc: [81127-80538] DoesNotExist; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.1.19
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: <Gucci>
Status
Not open for further replies.