Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
I am a big Sci-fi geek/Trekkie. My favorite movie ever is Serenity with Memento as a close second.
I have watched pretty much every sci-fi series and movie ever, but I have never seen Dr Who.
I would like to watch it and I am curious if I should start from the beginning or if it is better to jump in somewhere in the middle?
ok this one I know. lol honestly I haven't watched many of the classic episodes. But as far as the current ones: If you want to get hooked immediately, watch 'Blink'. And forgot the name but maybe the one about Van Gogh. Then (or otherwise) start at the beginning with Eccleston. Who I have recently learned I may have misjudged.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I am a big Sci-fi geek/Trekkie. My favorite movie ever is Serenity with Memento as a close second.
I have watched pretty much every sci-fi series and movie ever, but I have never seen Dr Who.
I would like to watch it and I am curious if I should start from the beginning or if it is better to jump in somewhere in the middle?
My husband has seen Memento dozens of times. You guys would have a lot to talk about.

Reactions: Kerek and Squatty

Cmoney

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: short survey on how people change (2 minutes). This is a REPEAT HIT. Do not accept if you have already taken it. | PANDA
Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
Requester: Alf B. Kanten [ADAZVHQ29FGOI] (Contact)
TO 1: [Pay: 4.50] [Fast: 4.93] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 25] [ToS: 0]
TO 2:
Not Available
Description: Read a few scenarions and answer some questions. This is a REPEAT HIT. Do not accept if you have already taken it.
Time: 20 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.30
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 97; Location is US;
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.20.14

mrs.pynk

wait... what?
Contributor
Reaction score
I started at the beginning of the "new"series with Eccleston. The first episode took me 2 or 3 tries to watch, but after that I was hooked. But I'm one who needs to start from the beginning. I would have loved to have started with the classic ones, but no one was streaming them at the time.

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yes, that is why I am asking for a Dr Who fan to advise me.
I would start with "Rose" but there's a bit of campiness (campyness? campy...yeah) in the early seasons. Because of that, some suggest starting with "The Eleventh Hour" or "Blink".

weakman

Reaction score
What is crack lackin everyone?

Reactions: Sondi

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that is why I am asking for a Dr Who fan to advise me.
If you don't want to go all the way back, but still want a feel for the show before the Tennant episodes (which are my favorite), I would start with the Eccleston episodes. I wasn't a fan immediately because of how campy and silly they seemed, but that changed when I actually gave them a chance.

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Ink Fight - FIREFOX on WINDOWS 10 (NT 10.0) only; WebGL; ~$10 (avg $7) bonus; Don't accept if done the requester's other HITs | PANDA
Requester: Museum Study [A68O9AS79451U] (Contact)
TO 1: [Pay: 3.00] [Fast: 4.50] [Comm: 3.00] [Fair: 4.86] [Reviews: 15] [ToS: 0]
TO 2:
[Rate: $12.00/hr] [Pen: 0.75 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: -- of 0] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Description:
Learn tendencies and make decisions.
Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Reward: $2.00
Qualifications: None;

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Complete a PENN research study about driving behaviors (Earn up to $2.20 for a brief survey)(~ 1 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Catherine McDonald [A3TPM7YN1DOU9E] (Contact)
TO 1: Not Available
TO 2: Not Available
Description: A survey about driving behaviors
Time: 45 minutes
Reward: $0.20
Qualifications: Total approved HITs LessThanOrEqualTo 500000; Exc: [35374115-38562] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US;

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I feel like I sensed this question or something..

Starting with either Classic Who or Nu-Who is a widely-debated topic, so it depends on preferences that might not be known until you start watching. Some say you couldn't possible have love for Who as a whole unless you started with early incarnations, but that is just silly. I was exposed to some CW as a child, but it was not until I sat down to some PBS on a very bad night in 2008 (and lucked into a DW marathon on PBS) that I was in love and so very entranced. Yes it is kitschy in places, especially in earlier NW episodes, when the budget was skeleton at best. But it is so, so worth it. It gets better with each regeneration of the Doctor, and you will laugh, cry, and laugh while crying. You might also find yourself screaming, "Moooooooffffffffffat!"

(I love you to death Miss Leela, but) please don't watch Vincent and the Doctor out of order. It is good as an independent episode, but there are nuances that I cannot spoil that will make it great if you watch it in order, as part of the time of the Ponds. (Also know that it has made grown, burly men bawl like babies.) Blink is an okay episode to watch as a single installation though.

I feel like there's so much more I could add, but I also know that I've probably already typed too much. It's not a secret to anyone that I adore DW, so I tend to get all giddy and blabbery about it. Then again, it did literally save my life, has allowed me to process several traumatic occurrences in my life in a more promising way, and has given me a hero to believe in-one that will always "an optimist, a hoper of far-flung hopes, and dreamer of impossible dreams", which helps me find the hero within myself when needed.

Shutting up now, but I'm so excited that you've decided to hop aboard the TARDIS!

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like I sensed this question or something..

Starting with either Classic Who or Nu-Who is a widely-debated topic, so it depends on preferences that might not be known until you start watching. Some say you couldn't possible have love for Who as a whole unless you started with early incarnations, but that is just silly. I was exposed to some CW as a child, but it was not until I sat down to some PBS on a very bad night in 2008 (and lucked into a DW marathon on PBS) that I was in love and so very entranced. Yes it is kitschy in places, especially in earlier NW episodes, when the budget was skeleton at best. But it is so, so worth it. It gets better with each regeneration of the Doctor, and you will laugh, cry, and laugh while crying. You might also find yourself screaming, "Moooooooffffffffffat!"

(I love you to death Miss Leela, but) please don't watch Vincent and the Doctor out of order. It is good as an independent episode, but there are nuances that I cannot spoil that will make it great if you watch it in order, as part of the time of the Ponds. (Also know that it has made grown, burly men bawl like babies.) Blink is an okay episode to watch as a single installation though.

I feel like there's so much more I could add, but I also know that I've probably already typed too much. It's not a secret to anyone that I adore DW, so I tend to get all giddy and blabbery about it. Then again, it did literally save my life, has allowed me to process several traumatic occurrences in my life in a more promising way, and has given me a hero to believe in-one that will always "an optimist, a hoper of far-flung hopes, and dreamer of impossible dreams", which helps me find the hero within myself when needed.

Shutting up now, but I'm so excited that you've decided to hop aboard the TARDIS!
No, no. You did not say too much. DW fucking rocks. There are some legitimately terrifying episodes, and there are some legitimately soul-crushing episodes that, if you don't like crying in front of others, you should probably watch alone. All of this talk made me queue all of the episodes on Netflix because I want to rewatch all of them. And catch up, since I fell behind. It's just the best show ever.

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
The other thing about classic Who is they're serials and there's a lot of missing episodes. I enjoy both the classics and new Who though.

TissueHime

Thread Maker Extraordinaire
Threaderator
Reaction score
paris hilton is at the formula e race o.o

Reactions: Pleco

cassius

Reaction score
I would start with "Rose" but there's a bit of campiness (campyness? campy...yeah) in the early seasons. Because of that, some suggest starting with "The Eleventh Hour" or "Blink".
Don't miss the Tennent epis. They are the best. And they will help you catch up if you haven't watched the show, campy or not. I got interested in Dr. Who some years ago in Holland. Unfortunately when I got back to the states I couldn't get the show. The ones that are end of year like December summaries are great. Some of them bring in past doctors and that's really interesting. But Rose...no, you can't miss the Rose epis. That is what made Tennent a household name.

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Don't miss the Tennent epis. They are the best. And they will help you catch up if you haven't watched the show, campy or not. I got interested in Dr. Who some years ago in Holland. Unfortunately when I got back to the states I couldn't get the show. The ones that are end of year like December summaries are great. Some of them bring in past doctors and that's really interesting. But Rose...no, you can't miss the Rose epis. That is what made Tennent a household name.
Which is why I suggested she start with Eccleston. He doesn't get enough love and I agree that starting with The Eleventh Hour is skipping too much (not to mention there are parts of that episode that are pretty darn campy imo so I don't get people's aversion to the campy parts of the 2005 episodes).

Status
Not open for further replies.