05/05 - Summing Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Got a notice from Amazon Payments about an upcoming change (and I'm sure a lot of you did, too, but if not....)

Amazon Payments would like to inform you of an upcoming change to your Amazon Payments account. If you are an Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker who uses your Amazon Payments account only to disburse earned funds to your bank account, these changes will not affect you. This change only affects customers who use their Amazon Payments account to make purchases on third-party websites through Amazon Pay.

Beginning on May 30, 2019, you will no longer be able to use funds contained in your Amazon Payments account to make purchases on third-party sites through Amazon Pay. For some merchants, this ability may be discontinued before that time. Funds in your Amazon Payments account may still be used for purchases on www.amazon.com, and you will continue to be able to disburse funds in your account to your linked bank account.

Thank You

The Amazon Payments Team
Sounds like they are phasing out Amazon Payments altogether (?)

Reactions: LucyO

Gator

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I responded to your post saying I thought I messed it up and was going to get rejected and was afraid to do more. As I submitted it I noticed the other person said something about having to leave because I did it wrong. But I looked and saw it was approved. So I guess I can do more. :shrug:

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Got a notice from Amazon Payments about an upcoming change (and I'm sure a lot of you did, too, but if not....)

Amazon Payments would like to inform you of an upcoming change to your Amazon Payments account. If you are an Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker who uses your Amazon Payments account only to disburse earned funds to your bank account, these changes will not affect you. This change only affects customers who use their Amazon Payments account to make purchases on third-party websites through Amazon Pay.

Beginning on May 30, 2019, you will no longer be able to use funds contained in your Amazon Payments account to make purchases on third-party sites through Amazon Pay. For some merchants, this ability may be discontinued before that time. Funds in your Amazon Payments account may still be used for purchases on www.amazon.com, and you will continue to be able to disburse funds in your account to your linked bank account.

Thank You

The Amazon Payments Team
That is so weird. I wonder if they are changing over to something else. On the website there is no sign of a change coming. I wonder if they've told the merchants yet...

Reactions: HelloHello

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Sounds like they are phasing out Amazon Payments altogether (?)
I don't think so. It doesn't say anything about phasing out Amazon Payments for holding funds for your turk earnings until you transfer to a bank account or make a purchase on amazon.com.

It only says you can't use Amazon payments to make payments to third party websites, and I can't figure out why Amazon would want to cut off third party merchants from Amazon Payments and especially the transaction fees related to those merchants accepting Amazon Payments.

HelloHello

Reaction score
I just assumed they wanted to limit its use so you funnel it right back into Amazon.
Oh I responded to your post saying I thought I messed it up and was going to get rejected and was afraid to do more. As I submitted it I noticed the other person said something about having to leave because I did it wrong. But I looked and saw it was approved. So I guess I can do more. :shrug:
Yes, I got a couple of those but they couldn't be submitted because the Assistant didn't enable the button. This message says I've done the maximum allowed. I don't know if that's the max for today or forever. I was able to get into a different batch (where I had to requalify via the tutorial) however, no Assistant join me in three tries so I've given up for today. I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that if you get the submit button from the Assistant the response won't be rejected.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I don't think so. It doesn't say anything about phasing out Amazon Payments for holding funds for your turk earnings until you transfer to a bank account or make a purchase on amazon.com.

It only says you can't use Amazon payments to make payments to third party websites, and I can't figure out why Amazon would want to cut off third party merchants from Amazon Payments and especially the transaction fees related to those merchants accepting Amazon Payments.
Yeah, and they just highlighted a new merchant a couple of days ago on their blog.....I actually didn't receive the email yet, but it does sound really weird.

Reactions: HelloHello

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
That is so weird. I wonder if they are changing over to something else. On the website there is no sign of a change coming. I wonder if they've told the merchants yet...
I think Amazon Pay will still be usable for making purchases. Amazon is dumping a lot of money into that service right now, so I don't think it's going anywhere. But for whatever reason (maybe legal?) they don't want Amazon Payments connected to it anymore.

Gator

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I got a couple of those but they couldn't be submitted because the Assistant didn't enable the button. This message says I've done the maximum allowed. I don't know if that's the max for today or forever. I was able to get into a different batch (where I had to requalify via the tutorial) however, no Assistant join me in three tries so I've given up for today. I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that if you get the submit button from the Assistant the response won't be rejected.
Yeah guessing he wasn't supposed to give me the button but since he did it got approved. I'll have to try again tomorrow if there are any up. Too tired to try to figure it out tonight.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
I hate the slow responsiveness of requesters sometimes.

A nice batch of question generation was posted a few hours ago. Despite what the title says, the instructions say do not generate a question whose answer is yes or no. I emailed them to find out if the title or the instructions were correct and they have not responded yet. The batch might be gone by the time they respond.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I think Amazon Pay will still be usable for making purchases. Amazon is dumping a lot of money into that service right now, so I don't think it's going anywhere. But for whatever reason (maybe legal?) they don't want Amazon Payments connected to it anymore.
Oh, I didn't realize they were two separate things....that makes sense. Maybe they are just going to do Amazon Pay now instead?

Reactions: aveline

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
I figured Amazon Pay and Amazon Payments were one in the same as I was having a tough time a few minutes ago trying to find out if they were different or the same thing.

If they are the same now but splitting up, it could be that Amazon Payments is for bank transfers or amazon.com payments, Amazon Pay will be only for third party merchant transactions as you seem to suggest.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize they were two separate things....that makes sense. Maybe they are just going to do Amazon Pay now instead?
Yeah, they're kinda two things rolled into one. I always assumed Payments would just end up being fully absorbed by Pay, since you log in from the same site now and all. But when I log in it still says Payments, so it seems like they still make a distinction between the two. I've never had a non-Payments account, so idk if people that signed up for Amazon Pay see something different when they log in.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Well, here's my question. Why use Amazon Pay? It's limited to certain merchants. You can't use your Amazon gift cards. If you can't use the money you have in your Amazon Payments, which really is cash, why use it all? Much better to use Paypal, bank, or buy a pre-paid card if necessary. I guess if you have an Amazon credit card that might make a difference. I don't know what that's all about. If you get Amazon Prime benefits with merchants who accept Amazon Pay (and I don't know) that would make it attractive.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Yeah, they're kinda two things rolled into one. I always assumed Payments would just end up being fully absorbed by Pay, since you log in from the same site now and all. But when I log in it still says Payments, so it seems like they still make a distinction between the two. I've never had a non-Payments account, so idk if people that signed up for Amazon Pay see something different when they log in.
I just see Amazon Pay. That is the one it made me sign up for when I wanted to transfer money from Mturk. I didn't even know that Amazon Payments existed :hilarious:

MeTurks

Professional Lurker
Contributor
Reaction score
I did my first HIT!

It's a good numbers HIT. Not sure the best way to share, but the requestor is Eliana Polimeni.
My one piece of advice to you is that you do absolutely nothing from p9r. They are the first rejections of lots of us on here. They'll overturn sometimes but not always. It's not with messing with them when you can't afford even one rejection.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Do we know if they're going to take it away for using it on Woot.com? Amazon owns Woot

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I figured Amazon Pay and Amazon Payments were one in the same as I was having a tough time a few minutes ago trying to find out if they were different or the same thing.

If they are the same now but splitting up, it could be that Amazon Payments is for bank transfers or amazon.com payments, Amazon Pay will be only for third party merchant transactions as you seem to suggest.
Yeah, I kinda thought so, too. But that email specifically says it's only affecting payments that are made through Amazon Pay with Amazon Payments. Like as in you'll no longer be able to use one thing with the other. So it just seems like Payments is going back to how it was years ago, before Amazon Pay was a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.