Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
:\
That sort of reminds me of that teaching story (it's told a lot in Zen circles) - about the monkey traps. (You know, the box with a hole in it - there's food inside. The monkey puts his hand through the hole to get the food - but when he makes a fist (holding the food), his hand become bigger than the hole - so he can't get out.

all he has to do, to run away and survive, is let go..........but, alas, the temptation of the food is too much:amish:
What if the monkey crumbled the cheese between his hands and then hold some of it between his fingers making his hand small, and then when he took out his hand he sprinkled the crumbled cheese on a nice 4-cheese lasagna?

jan

Reaction score
I thought this story was about raccoons and it was in "Where the Red Ferns Grow"

And now I am sad thinking of that book
Was it? I just saw online that Pirsig had it in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (weird that I didn't remember it, since I loved that book as a teen).
I know that Jon Kabat Zinn put it in one of his early books - but I heard it dozens of times at Dharma talks (I used to live in a temple :)
People retell those stories all the time..........

Reactions: LightningLord

Squatty

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Play a video game! (15 minutes + 2 mins of questions) | PANDA
Requester: Pedro Tsividis [A37DM1EQD0UFGF] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.33 Generosity
★★★★★ 0.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 0.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 3 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: You'll get to play an old-school arcade game. Your game play will be used as data for a research project at MIT.
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $2.00
Qualifications: None

Reactions: LightningLord

jan

Reaction score
What if the monkey crumbled the cheese between his hands and then hold some of it between his fingers making his hand small, and then when he took out his hand he sprinkled the crumbled cheese on a nice 4-cheese lasagna?
that would work. But legend has it, he just can't let go......

Squatty

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Was it? I just saw online that Pirsig had it in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (weird that I didn't remember it, since I loved that book as a teen).
I know that Jon Kabat Zinn put it in one of his early books - but I heard it dozens of times at Dharma talks (I used to live in a temple :)
People retell those stories all the time..........
the trap is basically a hole drilled into a log with something "shiny" placed inside, then the hole is made smaller by bending nails over the opening. the idea is the raccoon will reach in for the shiny object but won't be able to withdraw his paw with the object in hand, and won't let go of the object.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.