06/20 - Wish Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel old. I was working well before 56k modems became common. I remember the excitement of being able to send an order via modem rather than phoning it through. But then I also remember the same companies still using modems until about 4 years ago (OK adsl ones, but still, their computers had been using high speed fibre for ages).
I think business is kind of the same everywhere that way, yeah? If a thing works, they won't change it until there's absolutely no other choice because god forbid they spend any money updating anything. Kinda funny really

Itsmee

Condor
Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Joao Vaz for work related to ******.
The value of your bonus is: $0.01 USD

The Requester included this note:
You and your match did not meet the $10 balance in the Group Account.
Your bonus payment is $0.

klingeemonster

Does this poncho make me look fat?
Contributor
Reaction score
:ROFL:

I still have that first Toshiba laptop :) (It's a portable hard drive now, lol. Has all my stuff from Grad School on it, original battery, still works awesome!). And I still have a Zip Drive and like 15 Zip Disks. Recently found my old 56K modem next to those RAM chips (that was such a huge jump over those 28s!) . And yep, I still have the old 3.1 floppies!

For me, some of it is that I just need to get off my rear and take them to the appropriate recycling places, lol. I don't even have a computer with a floppy drive anymore!!
Mine does not have a floppy either, much less one of those, what were they, 5.25 floppy drives, but I do have one in my closet somewhere.

Reactions: tricker

alk69

Reaction score
OH I forgot, I said that I would include some gay love into the next story.
Now the question is the same:Why the hell did I sit and read this? It's like an addiction.....to Cheetos. You know it's gonna be bad and you'll end up with orange hands, but you can't help yourself....I might drink cheap pink wine and go to bed. It's raining--again.

Reactions: GTR

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Behavior in challenging situations Moran Anisman-Razin 3 pounder on PA is about 5 mins if you have it.

Reactions: Business Cat

lolkatB

Contributor
Reaction score

still have both of these.....
I lived with a PET and a BBC Micro for years until I decluttered the ex. And the most enormous daisywheel printer.

Reactions: rsclone

cassius

Reaction score
I did one of those Pick Fu and now amazon insists I really do want to look at a particular item. i wasn't even signed in to amazon.com when I did the thing.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Title: Sick Days Survey | Accept
Requester: Angela Listy [A1M2H0HAEXONBY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$8.54] [Pay=2.80] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.03] [Fast=4.48] [Comm=3.35] [Fair=4.14] [Reviews=287] [ToS=2]
TO2: [Hrly=5.48] [Pen=2.76 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=53%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=3]
Reward: 0.39
Duration: 3600
Available: 1
Description: Answer a survey about sick days.
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
4 minutes.[/td][/tr]

Reactions: <Gucci> and Kennedy

GTR

Reaction score

OK, everyone's favorite Molly Hatchet album. mine is this one

cassius

Reaction score
:ROFL:

I still have that first Toshiba laptop :) (It's a portable hard drive now, lol. Has all my stuff from Grad School on it, original battery, still works awesome!). And I still have a Zip Drive and like 15 Zip Disks. Recently found my old 56K modem next to those RAM chips (that was such a huge jump over those 28s!) . And yep, I still have the old 3.1 floppies!

For me, some of it is that I just need to get off my rear and take them to the appropriate recycling places, lol. I don't even have a computer with a floppy drive anymore!!
Toshiba is great. I have one now that's windows 7 and old and I think I told the story here where I literally dumped a drink onto my first Toshiba laptop into the keyboard when it was new. I did it. I was guilty. So after about two weeks I called them, threw myself at their mercy and they fixed it.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about baby care | Accept
Requester: MA Shapiro [A1VR28SKX3VRIU] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.25
Duration: 180
Description: If you care for children currently using diapers, or if you expect that you will in the next 2 years, you are qualified to complete this survey. PLEASE DO NOT COMPLETE THE SURVEY IF YOU DO NOT SATISFY THIS REQUIREMENT.
Qualifications: Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Liz @Liz[/td][/tr]

Reactions: Liz

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Respond to situations | Accept
Requester: JHU Semantics Lab [A209IZD7PQYIIJ] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.39] [Pay=5.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.25] [Fast=4.83] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=9] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=7.50] [Pen=0.13 days] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 2.50
Duration: 3600
Description: Tell us how you will respond in the situations described to you.
Qualifications: None
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

cassius

Reaction score
I feel old. I was working well before 56k modems became common. I remember the excitement of being able to send an order via modem rather than phoning it through. But then I also remember the same companies still using modems until about 4 years ago (OK adsl ones, but still, their computers had been using high speed fibre for ages).
I had the coolest thing with earthlink and they were upset I got it and I think would have taken it away if they could. When broadband came I got earthlink and had a direct line, a strung line, into the house and computer. I got one of the first then think they went to using the phone or cable lines and they were mad I had that thing.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiba is great. I have one now that's windows 7 and old and I think I told the story here where I literally dumped a drink onto my first Toshiba laptop into the keyboard when it was new. I did it. I was guilty. So after about two weeks I called them, threw myself at their mercy and they fixed it.
Do they still make laptops? I loved my original Toshiba. My next laptop was a Dell (still have it, those batteries SUCK !). I now have a Lenovo and I don't really like it. When I go to get a new one if Toshiba is still around and quality I may get one of those.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
I lived with a PET and a BBC Micro for years until I decluttered the ex. And the most enormous daisywheel printer.
I did not know what this was, I had to google it...and am now entranced. I wonder if it's still possible to do something like this with win10

potential project for after I've moved, woo! Cheers :)

klingeemonster

Does this poncho make me look fat?
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiba was pretty big back then, they sold cheap laptops for the time. I had one in the 90's with Windows 95 on it. It fit perfectly on the steering wheel of my 18 wheeler back then.

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
~4 mins.

Title: The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in the Military | Accept
Requester: Mark Ashby [A3GV9KVLFWBNB7] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=0.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=1] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.08] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.71
Duration: 2700
Description: Answer a ~10 minute survey about the ethical implications of integrating artificial intelligence into the U.S. military.
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 25; Location EqualTo US

Reactions: Peachy

cassius

Reaction score
Do they still make laptops? I loved my original Toshiba. My next laptop was a Dell (still have it, those batteries SUCK !). I now have a Lenovo and I don't really like it. When I go to get a new one if Toshiba is still around and quality I may get one of those.
I have one I got in 2009 I think. It was sent back for repair once, then went out again but one day about a year ago I got it out and turned it on, told it to phone home and heal itself and it seems to have done that. I think I still see them for sale. I think it wasn't quite able to call home when I got it for repair as in factory reset. But it has no problem now. I don't use it for much but it is there if I need it.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
I had the coolest thing with earthlink and they were upset I got it and I think would have taken it away if they could. When broadband came I got earthlink and had a direct line, a strung line, into the house and computer. I got one of the first then think they went to using the phone or cable lines and they were mad I had that thing.
Oh my god, Earthlink! They were my first ISP after I got off AOL (um, cause almost everyone actually did use AOL back in the day...) and I thought I was SO COOL. (Though their tantrum over your direct line sounds kinda less cool.)

Status
Not open for further replies.