06/30 - Three Six Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I'm willing to pay a bit more for predictability I guess. At least they average it out every year. So very easy to come up with $190/mo than a surprise $450.

Being from the South, I worship the guy who invented central air everyday. I thought about trying to get into HVAC. My cousin is a tech and he makes a killing.
my boyfriend works HVAC at a large university, so he typically doesn't work on residential units (but did previously work on residential appliances, just not HVAC). he works on giant (and i mean enormous) units that are on huge university facilities. he enjoys his work! just not when he's on roofs in the middle of the summer.

Reactions: j0e

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
oh yeah it's almost always bullshit. they tack on processing fees and other fees for the convenience of having budget billing. we haven't been with our current electric company for more than 13 months yet so i don't know how that'd work if i tried to sign up for it anyway. and we are privileged not to NEED to use budget billing. i can afford whatever electric bill they throw at us, but paying interest/fees/any extra is absolutely grating to me
I'm guessing they'd also take into account whoever lived there before you. So if that someone that needed the heat up to 80 F in winter and down to 55 in the summer, you'd be paying out the ass for that.

Reactions: bxpretzel

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
Windows are the main culprit for energy loss or gain, you have to elimate the sun beating on it, sun shades OUTSIDE the home will give you the most bang for your buck. Trees on the west/south side of the home are even freaking better

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

CindyLoUUWho

Wait, what?
Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from David Bruner for work related to 3MYASTQBG7BNUHQWYO4UVWIMMD1QDQ.
The value of your bonus is: $1.31 USD

The Requester included this note:
Task 1 + Task 2 earnings

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Windows are the main culprit for energy loss or gain, you have to elimate the sun beating on it, sun shades OUTSIDE the home will give you the most bang for your buck. Trees on the west/south side of the home are even freaking better
yeah, our house is about 90% south facing and it kills us during the summer. we need better window treatments but have been putting those off because i priced them out and it's about $500 for our remaining windows so we just have basic curtains up. our A/C can't keep up on summer afternoons. the house is IDEAL for solar panels because of the south facing orientation though, but we are waiting until the cost comes down and a solar co-op comes to town before pulling the trigger on that, but i admit it factored into my decision when we bought the house

Devil_Dawg

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, our house is about 90% south facing and it kills us during the summer. we need better window treatments but have been putting those off because i priced them out and it's about $500 for our remaining windows so we just have basic curtains up. our A/C can't keep up on summer afternoons. the house is IDEAL for solar panels because of the south facing orientation though, but we are waiting until the cost comes down and a solar co-op comes to town before pulling the trigger on that, but i admit it factored into my decision when we bought the house
shit I would put up even the temp ones that you can do with magnets, fuck what the neighbors think, take them down when not nedded

Reactions: LightningLord

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
my boyfriend works HVAC at a large university, so he typically doesn't work on residential units (but did previously work on residential appliances, just not HVAC). he works on giant (and i mean enormous) units that are on huge university facilities. he enjoys his work! just not when he's on roofs in the middle of the summer.
Crap, all this time I thought you were Jeremy Piven. I always get confused with these things.

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
shit I would put up even the temp ones that you can do with magnets, fuck what the neighbors think, take them down when not nedded
Lol. I just looked up on google what my estimated savings would be if I added solar panels to my house. Over a 20 year period, my savings would be -$44,000. That's right. It would actually cost me $44,000 more over 20 years to have solar panels haha.

Reactions: Liz

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
Better than resorting to surveys.

Definitely. I don't see the reason to dislike these as its extremely mindless. Even though I keep taking breaks it seems like it could be upwards of $20 an hour. Maybe more if you do them nonstop. Does the bonus amount go up with your accuracy level? Today's my first day doing them and I got the .20c bonus for hitting accuracy level 1 at around 70 submitted. I think they're still giving me 45c bonuses for not being able to map a.. map.

Devil_Dawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. I just looked up on google what my estimated savings would be if I added solar panels to my house. Over a 20 year period, my savings would be -$44,000. That's right. It would actually cost me $44,000 more over 20 years to have solar panels haha.
oh I wasn't talking about solar, but just know most of those sites are done by the oil and gas companies and they have a agenda. Solar right now is just slightly more expensive then normal electric (made from coal and natural gas) and the costs are dropping even as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.