08/25 - Sound of Covers Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I was not aware that they worked that way, no. But yes I know about PREs.
If auto-acceptors become problematic for the site traffic or if requesters strart to complain, then there's no reason why Amazon couldn't "weight" the page requests differently in the future.

For instance, after accepting a HIT, a worker could be given a 10-second "cool-down". This would discourage the potential massive increase in catch-and-release HIT acceptance practices if auto-acceptors become really commonplace. Then other actions, such as previewing a hit would only count like a normal page request.

I'm not too freaked out about the emergence of auto-acceptors because there are currently countless people who use MTS and PC without really understanding how either of them work, and there will be countless people with auto-acceptors doing things to shoot their efficiency in the foot. The effective Turkers will continue to be the effective Turkers, the Turkers that struggle will likely continue to struggle... except for those motivated enough to transcend their struggles, and they will figure it out.

EnterNameHere

Contributor
Reaction score
You've received a bonus from Rowan Zellers for work related to 3ZQX1VYFTDCGSPYL6E8B3FVCC67O8P.
The value of your bonus is: $0.20 USD

The Requester included this note:
Hi, thanks for doing my HITs. The current plan is to increase pay to 50c/HIT in future batches but this may not be enough - let me know if you have feedback here :) In the meantime, enjoy this bonus!
I also looked at your HITs submitted - Thanks for trying out my HITs, they look good so far :)

Nice note...but just urged this guy to do (much) better than .50c/HIT.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: BreeQuinn

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Complete a short survey about decision-making in a forensic setting | Accept
Requester: UNSW Forensic Lab [A5E8P2L5P6JBS] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.24] [Pay=3.44] [Fast=4.50] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.31] [Fast=4.85] [Comm=4.33] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=74] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.49] [Pen=1.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 1.50
Duration: 3600
Available: 55
Description: Insights into decision making. Complete a short survey where you take on the role of a juror in a criminal trial and make decisions.
Qualifications: POI_MD DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Kadauchi

Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
My guess is that this is why it's all hush hush and won't ever be open to every single person. At least as I understand it. As for inverting its goal though I don't see it really happening that way. You still get to just run it in the background and accept stuff. Whether it gets you a lot or a little, that still seems beneficial to me as someone who works a whole lot of hours during a day, so every little bit counts. I don't see it as something you'd rely on exclusively. Part of efficient turking is having a wide range of tools available that do different things. I'd be curious to see if you can run it and panda crazy at the same time. Maybe pc for targeted stuff and that script for general stuff. I also don't know what Mturk's policy is on being logged in to the same account from multiple computers is. If it were allowed, you could run multiple instances of the script(s) on a couple of PCs to maximize your chances of catching things. But that may not be supported or in the TOS. I'd have to check into it I guess. Don't want to do anything sketchy.
It wouldn't be against the ToS, but requests are rate limited by account, not IP or computer so there wouldnt't be an inherent advantage to multiple computers vs one.

Romantic Grapefruit

Shhhhh. You don't have to tell anyone.
Banned
Reaction score
If auto-acceptors become problematic for the site traffic or if requesters strart to complain, then there's no reason why Amazon couldn't "weight" the page requests differently in the future.

For instance, after accepting a HIT, a worker could be given a 10-second "cool-down". This would discourage the potential massive increase in catch-and-release HIT acceptance practices if auto-acceptors become really commonplace. Then other actions, such as previewing a hit would only count like a normal page request.

I'm not too freaked out about the emergence of auto-acceptors because there are currently countless people who use MTS and PC without really understanding how either of them work, and there will be countless people with auto-acceptors doing things to shoot their efficiency in the foot. The effective Turkers will continue to be the effective Turkers, the Turkers that struggle will likely continue to struggle... except for those motivated enough to transcend their struggles, and they will figure it out.
Yeah. Either way, we'd all still be on the same footing. If they put cooldowns on auto refreshes then it would work that way for everyone. The more advanced workers would continue to profit, etc. And there are people shooting themselves in the foot to a degree I guess, but for the most part like with PC for example, as long as you follow the cardinal rule everyone tells you when you're new (keep the number of pandas down to be able to catch stuff) I don't think there are many ways you can hurt yourself. I look at it like driving a car.. you don't have to know how it works to be able to operate it. Just don't run over people. :blep:

Reactions: Jerami

Kadauchi

Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Requests are weighted differently now, so that is a possibility. You can almost unlimitedly call status detail pages and the dashboard, so you can run 45 days syncs on Tracker and not make any PRE on PC.

logan635

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

if people run auto-accepters all day long, to where they're constantly accepting+expiring HITs even when they're out doing chores / sleeping / etc., it could draw out the length of time it takes for a survey hit to finish "trickling" through the work pool

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Complete a short survey about decision-making in a forensic setting | Accept
Description: Insights into decision making. Complete a short survey where you take on the role of a juror in a criminal trial and make decisions.
Qualifications: POI_MD DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
5-7m

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I don't think there are many ways you can hurt yourself. I look at it like driving a car.. you don't have to know how it works to be able to operate it. Just don't run over people. :blep:
Knowing how it works can mean the difference between making it to work on time and sitting on the side of the road for 2 hours, waiting for AAA to come replace a fuse(or some other dumb thing that you could do yourself in about a minute). Trusting that it will work isn't something that I'd stake my earning potential on. I guess that's why everyone is different. But, if you know how something works, when it stops working, you can replicate the things it was automating, keeping you in business, albeit at a slower speed.

Last edited:

Romantic Grapefruit

Banned
Reaction score
Knowing how it works can mean the difference between making it to work on time and sitting on the side of the road for 2 hours, waiting for AAA to come replace a fuse. Trusting that it will work isn't something that I'd stake my earning potential on. I guess that's why everyone is different. But, if you know how something works, when it stops working, you can replicate the things it was automating, keeping you in business, albeit at a slower speed.
This is the true but under that analogy the vast majority of people will take the AAA route. Would it help if they knew how to replace the fuse on their own? Of course. The thing is, going by your logic then every turker should know how to code. Because what if our tools fail one day and the coders aren't around to help or decide not to help? But realistically not everyone is going to take the time to learn even simple coding just like not everyone is going to take the time to learn basic automotive mechanics. Luckily we have AAA in real life and our friends in the Mturk community who work tirelessly to improve things for us and that we can be sure we can rely on. Thanks to Kadauchi and to everyone else who puts forth the effort to make our lives better.

Reactions: Freda Brown

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
This is the true but under that analogy the vast majority of people will take the AAA route. Would it help if they knew how to replace the fuse on their own? Of course. The thing is, going by your logic then every turker should know how to code. Because what if our tools fail one day and the coders aren't around to help or decide not to help? But realistically not everyone is going to take the time to learn even simple coding just like not everyone is going to take the time to learn basic automotive mechanics. Luckily we have AAA in real life and our friends in the Mturk community who work tirelessly to improve things for us and that we can be sure we can rely on. Thanks to Kadauchi and to everyone else who puts forth the effort to make our lives better.
No. I am saying that everyone should read that little instruction manual that comes with your car, telling you how to replace the fuse. That's why it's there. Not for the mechanic. They already know how. Yes, most people may call AAA. As I said before, I don't understand why people do most things. But, just because everyone does it, doesn't make it the smartest course of action. It just makes it the most used.

Although coding is a great skill, it's not one that I have. Do I think everyone should? Sure. Is it a requirement? Nope. What I'm saying is not, knowing how scripts/extensions are written. That's not necessary. I can fix a car but, I can't build/make one. I do know what each part does, which really helps to know it's importance. I've seen people worried that they are out of washer fluid, even though it's not necessary to reach their end goal. That would be like worrying the HC wasn't working, when I know full-well that I can use EasyAutoRefresh with any webpage(including the accept URL), and use that to PandA OG style. Or I could do it manually. I can AutoRefresh the Available HITs page and see new HITs as they post. Or I could do it manually. But, I would still reach my end goal of finding and accepting a HIT. This comes from knowing how AMT works and what the tools are doing for me, and how they are doing it. Not how they were written.

I really don't want to argue an analogy when the underlying statement is still accurate. I also don't think replacing a fuse that says '*User Replaceable' is basic auto mechanics, or a skill that needs to be learned. It's no different than putting gas in it, air in the tires, or oil in the little hole marked oil, all of which I feel are standard maintenance and part of the responsibility of owning anything. Changing a fuse in your car, is like changing a fuse in your house.(antique circuit breakers) These aren't things that most people would call someone for. If you did the someone would say, "You really should know how to do this because it will happen again."

Either way. You win. Good luck.:)

Last edited:

desallemands

Reaction score
I did this one, but was not able to receive a code after advancing. Anyone else ? thank you.

[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: Peachy

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I did this one, but was not able to receive a code after advancing. Anyone else ? thank you.
I wasn't able to catch it so I don't know. It looks like PeachyRider did it though...

Reactions: Peachy

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
i didn’t have any problems with it personally. except for having to delete the “&MID” at the end of the survey link before beginning

Romantic Grapefruit

Banned
Reaction score
No. I am saying that everyone should read that little instruction manual that comes with your car, telling you how to replace the fuse. That's why it's there. Not for the mechanic. They already know how. Yes, most people may call AAA. As I said before, I don't understand why people do most things. But, just because everyone does it, doesn't make it the smartest course of action. It just makes it the most used.

Although coding is a great skill, it's not one that I have. Do I think everyone should? Sure. Is it a requirement? Nope. What I'm saying is not, knowing how scripts/extensions are written. That's not necessary. I can fix a car but, I can't build/make one. I do know what each part does, which really helps to know it's importance. I've seen people worried that they are out of washer fluid, even though it's not necessary to reach their end goal. That would be like worrying the HC wasn't working, when I know full-well that I can use EasyAutoRefresh with any webpage(including the accept URL), and use that to PandA OG style. Or I could do it manually. I can AutoRefresh the Available HITs page and see new HITs as they post. Or I could do it manually. But, I would still reach my end goal of finding and accepting a HIT. This comes from know how AMT works and what the tools are doing for me, and how they are doing it. Not how they were written.

I really don't want to argue an analogy when the underlying statement is still accurate. I also don't think replacing a fuse that says '*User Replaceable' is basic auto mechanics, or a skill that needs to be learned. It's no different than putting gas in it, air in the tires, or oil in the little hole marked oil, all of which I feel are standard maintenance and part of the responsibility of owning anything. Changing a fuse in your car, is like changing a fuse in your house.(antique circuit breakers) These aren't things that most people would call someone for. If you did the someone would say, "You really should know how to do this because it will happen again."

Either way. You win. Good luck.:)
Right but in this case the little instruction manual is the community saying "don't do this" and "do this". Which goes hand in hand with running the script in the first place since it's the biggest resource where people come to find out about it in the first place. I had no idea PC even had a 'delayed ham' function until almost a year of using it. Would have been nice to know but it didn't prevent me from doing things with it. My point was just that most people don't know how most modern things work, and they don't really need to. But you get that. I have no idea how my smart phone works beyond a rudimentary understanding but it still serves me well. There's a comedian that has a really funny bit where they talk about how most people can't explain how a microphone works. I believe it was Rory Scovel.. check him out, he's hilarious.

Learning a bit of basic coding would be the equivalent of fixing a broken car, not building one. And talking about hitting auto refresh yourself to get where you need to go is the equivalent of walking to work. Which doesn't require any know how beyond how to click buttons. I'd hope everyone knows how to do that.

You'd be surprised about replacing fuses. My girlfriend doesn't know how to do that.. her mother doesn't. My mom, sister, doesn't, etc. Just a few weeks ago my girlfriend and her mom asked me to replace a fuse on one of their cars because they have no idea. So yeah.. basic auto mechanics. There a lot of people driving cars these days that don't know how to add or change their oil, or other basic things that you consider common knowledge. They just take it to the shop. The underlying analogy is important because at its core we are debating on opposing sides, not the same thing. I'm saying it's beneficial to know how things work but not necessary. Not in 2018 anyways. If you don't want to talk about it anymore that's totally fine.. I don't want to "win", I just really enjoy discussions like these. I can go back and forth on Youtube comment debates all day. It's fun. Even if you're just discussing semantics or whatever. You're a great verbal sparring partner.

Reactions: BreeQuinn

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Evaluation of a Product(~ 3 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Darron Billeter [A242JB078EM6Y8] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.34] [Pay=3.33] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.47] [Fast=4.18] [Comm=3.25] [Fair=4.46] [Reviews=61] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=13.79] [Pen=0.04 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.60
Duration: 780
Available: 20
Description: In this study you will observe a product and answer a few questions about the product (generally about 3 min.)
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 5000; Exc: [-965795599-103789] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Status
Not open for further replies.