Not open for further replies.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
You've received a bonus from Tiffany Vu for work related to 32TMVRKDGNY9I6KQZ5U4L0S5NSA84R.
The value of your bonus is: $1.25 USD

The Requester included this note:
Many thanks for taking the time to work on this task. Our data collection for this study is near completion. However, it is clear from our end that participants, such as yourself, are working diligently on our task – and sometimes taking much longer than our estimated time. We would like to thank you for your hard work by doubling your pay! So, instead of being paid the original $1.25 for the task, we will now also pay you a $1.25 in bonus. In total, you will earn $2.50. We very much appreciate your time and effort!

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Nothing against Jesus, but I like this version better (spoilered because of non-work-friendly word)

yeah I was trying to find one that said 'what is wrong with y'all' that wasn't super curse-y and this is the only one I liked lol

Reactions: Theta Carinae

katarina

Needs more coffee
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Human Robot Interaction Study | Accept
Requester: RHCLab [A2NHURYCUWEXOJ] Contact
TO: No Reviews
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 600
Available: 1
Description: We are conducting a survey to determine peoples perception of a robot.
Qualifications: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.12
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
I get to interact with a human...exciting![/td][/tr]

Reactions: Kliq

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
My mom made a facebook post about "not being good at this whole adulting thing" the other day and it fucked my head up.

A faux-lennial gave birth to a 30 year old boomer.

Reactions: corvid and Kliq

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess my issue with the requester having an problem with bad data is why not just reject it? That seems like the best plan. Also, I feel like Amazon should figure out a way to protect the requesters and workers better from bots or people who continuously turn in shit work. I don't know how because I'm not that kind of smart. And, yes, I know crafty people will find a work around, but it could be made harder.

Reactions: HelloHello

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
You're expecting someone to sit here for an hour for 50 cents says a lot about the requesters mindset period.
I know it gets joked about a lot, but there are a lot of people on this platform that do it for fun. I have no idea how many, but it seems like researchers often think there are quite a few.

Rogue and Ready

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: A quick survey about your choices and decisions. About 3 minutes | Accept
Requester: Altsuss [A1ATES40ZPE477] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$16.59] [Pay=3.96] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.31] [Fast=4.74] [Comm=4.38] [Fair=4.88] [Reviews=159] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=6.26] [Pen=0.61 days] [Res=100%] [Rec=75%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 0.30
Duration: 3600
Available: 14
Description: Read a scenario and answer several questions. Takes about 3 minutes.
Qualifications: LB DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 0; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.12
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
.[/td][/tr]

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
You've received a bonus from Tiffany Vu for work related to 32TMVRKDGNY9I6KQZ5U4L0S5NSA84R.
The value of your bonus is: $1.25 USD

The Requester included this note:
Many thanks for taking the time to work on this task. Our data collection for this study is near completion. However, it is clear from our end that participants, such as yourself, are working diligently on our task – and sometimes taking much longer than our estimated time. We would like to thank you for your hard work by doubling your pay! So, instead of being paid the original $1.25 for the task, we will now also pay you a $1.25 in bonus. In total, you will earn $2.50. We very much appreciate your time and effort!

Yay! I got one, too. I wonder when this was from.

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
Requesters are the only ones who can put exclusion quals on their studies. Unless I am mistaken, they have the solution right under their noses. Exclusion quals might not be perfect, but one requester in the comments on that site mentioned exclusion quals lessened the "bad data" to like 2%.

Sooo, they have the tools to avoid this kind of problem but have instead resorted to blaming workers and using an arbitrary data criteria as an explanation for the 'bad data'. And last time I checked, 'bots' couldn't do surveys they weren't able to access :rolleyes:

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
There are so many things to say!
I totally agree with you aveline @aveline in the fact that requesters can pay whatever they want. Unfortunately, that is the art of business. They want to pay the least to expand their last dime as far as possible. It only make sense.

The problem comes down to everyone is so wrapped up in what everyone else is doing that they instantly jump on the band-wagon and don't do their own research and they don't look into the way they can improve their own results. They are so quick to just lower wages or do mass rejections.

Edit: and when it comes to the qualifications, that comes either from negligence on their part or lack of training in their chosen research platform.

Reactions: Theta Carinae

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yay! I got one, too. I wonder when this was from.
I believe it was yesterday and honestly the survey wasn't even that long so I'll take it.

Reactions: Kennedy
Status
Not open for further replies.