10/08 - Mr. Wizard Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can they fire your SO for that? Almost definitely unless she had some sort of employment contract with them. Most people do not and most companies retain at-will employment. The guy showing a dick pick at work doesn't really matter unless it directly impacted your SO, i.e. did he show it to them, was there harassment, did your SO report it and feels the firing was retaliation, etc.

Firing for absences really doesn't matter unless there are extenuating circumstances, like a union that protects the employees, a contract that requires a reason, etc. If you really want to know if you have any recourse, you should consult an employment attorney in your state but the most likely answer is no. Especially if the absences were just for things like flu. Doctor's note does not really help there.
Kidney stones with hospital notes...I figured they were protected but not paying for OT doesn't seem legal to me.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Kidney stones with hospital notes...I figured they were protected but not paying for OT doesn't seem legal to me.
Pretty sure that's a salary thing, my old boss would complain if we made her stay late cause she didn't get paid for it.

Doctor's note does not really help there.
Some people, who definitely weren't me, would go to the ER for less than ER things sometimes just to get a note for missing work. I'm pretty sure those people are part of the reason why my work stopped accepting doctor notes.

edit: I wouldn't do that anymore, but I used to be a shitty(er) person (than I am now.)

Last edited:

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's a salary thing, my old boss would complain if we made her stay late cause she didn't get paid for it.

Some people, who definitely weren't me, would go to the ER for less than ER things sometimes just to get a note for missing work. I'm pretty sure those people are part of the reason why my work stopped accepting doctor notes.

edit: I wouldn't do that anymore, but I used to be a shitty(er) person than I am now.
Yes but normally salary means you get paid the same no matter, well if she missed any time they didn't pay her while not paying for extra time, for a worker that is a lose lose.

SisphyeanTurker

Reaction score

edit: I wouldn't do that anymore, but I used to be a shitty(er) person than I am now.
Salaried they are not required to pay OT. You can sometimes argue that a salaried employee shouldn't really be counted as one and should have been paid overtime, but those are fact-specific scenarios and dependent on the state employment law. Again, you'd have to talk to an employment attorney in your state.

And again, the health issue doesn't really matter unless they are discriminating against her because of a disability. They aren't, they fired her because of absences.

Reactions: Jaded

thismegan

resting cat face
Reaction score
nice, 26 Alexandrias.

charlie

Reaction score
worst thing about the weinstock hits is getting introduced to new shopping sites i've never seen before. lol.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
Companies do not care at all about the personal well-being of their workers. They want you to think they do, so you'll want to work your hardest for what little money they give you, but they don't. They care about what makes them money.
Someone who isn't there working isn't making money, thus becoming a liability and someone worth firing - I have heard actual people with firing power say so.
(And oh my god at-will states I won't even start.)

Yes but normally salary means you get paid the same no matter, well if she missed any time they didn't pay her while not paying for extra time, for a worker that is a lose lose.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the wording here. When you say if she missed any time they didn't pay her...do you mean for the day? For the week?
I've heard that even for salaried people there's often a certain amount or percentage of hours you can miss per pay period - if you miss more than that, you're no longer guaranteed your salary and it can be adjusted however the company sees fit. I don't know if this is true, but if so it might apply here.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
And again, the health issue doesn't really matter
I know, I just like rambling about things that are somewhat related to past life experiences.

(experiences in my life in the past, not experiences from a past life.)

Reactions: Theta Carinae

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Companies do not care at all about the personal well-being of their workers. They want you to think they do, so you'll want to work your hardest for what little money they give you, but they don't. They care about what makes them money.
Someone who isn't there working isn't making money, thus becoming a liability and someone worth firing - I have heard actual people with firing power say so.
(And oh my god at-will states I won't even start.)

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the wording here. When you say if she missed any time they didn't pay her...do you mean for the day? For the week?
I've heard that even for salaried people there's often a certain amount or percentage of hours you can miss per pay period - if you miss more than that, you're no longer guaranteed your salary and it can be adjusted however the company sees fit. I don't know if this is true, but if so it might apply here.
She was literally treated like an hourly employee if any time was missed she wasn't paid for it down to the minute yet if she worked over her time which she over did she was not paid for that.

It seems like a bizarrely worded way to avoid paying OT to hourly employees which I don't think is legal.

SisphyeanTurker

Reaction score
I know, I just like rambling about things that are somewhat related to past life experiences.

(experiences in my life in the past, not experiences from a past life.)
That was more addressed to Mecca than you. Just quoted your post because I was mostly agreeing with it. :thumbup:

SisphyeanTurker

Reaction score
She was literally treated like an hourly employee if any time was missed she wasn't paid for it down to the minute yet if she worked over her time which she over did she was not paid for that.

It seems like a bizarrely worded way to avoid paying OT to hourly employees which I don't think is legal.
Did she supervise other employees?

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
The part where if she missed any time she wasn't paid does seem a little weird...but if you're salaried there is no such thing as overtime. You get paid what you're paid no matter how long you're there past the time you're supposed to be.

(Which is a suuuuper weird thing to wrap your brain around when you've always been paid hourly, I totally get that. In a lot of cases being hourly can actually get you a higher net pay than the salaried managers who supposedly make more money than you do. I was friendly with a number of assistant managers at my old job, technically just the next step up from me on the ladder, whose salaries worked out to about a dollar an hour more than me - if you considered a 40-hour work week. But considering most of them worked 50+ hour weeks and could be made to work basically any shift, which I at that point had enough seniority to avoid - it really was a shitty, shitty deal for them. And totally legal in Utah)

It is pretty bizarre, but unfortunately unless you're in a very, very blue state (and I suspect you're not) it most likely is perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.