Game of Thrones Weekly Discussion

What storyline are you most interested in watching this year

• Total voters

j0e

Bounty Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like it's almost akin to batman's arc starting with batman begins. Both her parents are killed. She's trained in the arts of assassination. She (starting with this episode [hasn't happened in the books yet]) is now disobeying the assassin group and will ditch them. Idk. I still think the show is "hollywooding" up the story line. Not to sound snobbish but I just consider the show a really good fanfiction of george martin's work.
Pretty much this. The whole theater bit was a test to see if she was truly no one. She failed, but now she's trained enough to be able to fulfill her kill list (which will appease the Many-Faced God anyway). I thought the parallels between Arya and Cersei were great though, "She wouldn't just cry, she would be angry and want to kill the person that did this to her" Joffrey/Ned

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much this. The whole theater bit was a test to see if she was truly no one. She failed, but now she's trained enough to be able to fulfill her kill list (which will appease the Many-Faced God anyway). I thought the parallels between Arya and Cersei were great though, "She wouldn't just cry, she would be angry and want to kill the person that did this to her" Joffrey/Ned
Agreed. I still think actual Arya would have poisoned the woman. However, I was pretty much screaming at Jaqen to just FUCKING EXPLAIN YOUR SHIT TO HER. I understand she has to do her duty unquestioning, but it'd be easier IF SHE KNEW WHY THE WOMAN HAD TO DIE.

Reactions: ShereKahn

ShereKahn

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. I still think actual Arya would have poisoned the woman. However, I was pretty much screaming at Jaqen to just FUCKING EXPLAIN YOUR SHIT TO HER. I understand she has to do her duty unquestioning, but it'd be easier IF SHE KNEW WHY THE WOMAN HAD TO DIE.

Wasn't it because the other actress paid to have her assassinated?

ShereKahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like it's almost akin to batman's arc starting with batman begins. Both her parents are killed. She's trained in the arts of assassination. She (starting with this episode [hasn't happened in the books yet]) is now disobeying the assassin group and will ditch them. Idk. I still think the show is "hollywooding" up the story line. Not to sound snobbish but I just consider the show a really good fanfiction of george martin's work.

I still get as excited as a little kid whenever the show comes on. I started watching the show before reading the books, so it still holds that place in my heart.
Okay That makes alot of sense. They've just been dragging her story alone for 2 seasons now with the faceless guys that I kind of forgot about her dedicaction to killing cersei/mountain/whoever else.

I still think that it's one of the worst arcs in the show. After she left the Mountain her whole arc got really stale.

I'm just a filthy casual watcher though.

Reactions: Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually like the Arya storyline. I think she's about to kill the blondie and then go do her own thing. I never really saw Arya as a faceless person, I think she would only kill people she felt really deserved it and in her mind theatre lady didn't. (I could be misremembering things from the book and she could totally be a "kill everyone whether they deserve it in her mind or not" person)

I still have no idea what happened on the Sept steps though. I know they got outwitted but I have no idea how/why. I felt like what's his face Tyrell when he went "What just happened?"

ShereKahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like the Arya storyline. I think she's about to kill the blondie and then go do her own thing. I never really saw Arya as a faceless person, I think she would only kill people she felt really deserved it and in her mind theatre lady didn't. (I could be misremembering things from the book and she could totally be a "kill everyone whether they deserve it in her mind or not" person)

I still have no idea what happened on the Sept steps though. I know they got outwitted but I have no idea how/why. I felt like what's his face Tyrell when he went "What just happened?"

If you are talking about when Jamie comes up to stop the atonement, I thought that what happened was the Sparrow bargained with the king kid to get the "crown" as a partner to the "faith", in return for releasing/relieving Loras and Natalie Dormer(I forget her name, I forget almost all their names).

Reactions: Jaded

LightningLord

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I was hoping she'd explain what actually happened. When she just said "we lost" or whatever, I kept thinking, "....how, exactly? Isn't your granddaughter being released exactly what you came here for?" Honestly when Tommen came out of the door I was half-expecting him to strip and walk in place of Margaery. Then I remembered the kid is like 12. WHOOPS.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I was hoping she'd explain what actually happened. When she just said "we lost" or whatever, I kept thinking, "....how, exactly? Isn't your granddaughter being released exactly what you came here for?" Honestly when Tommen came out of the door I was half-expecting him to strip and walk in place of Margaery. Then I remembered the kid is like 12. WHOOPS.
Haha, yeah that's what I thought was going to happen too. I can't figure out how they lost unless Tommen is now just a figurehead for the High Sparrow to do what he wants and that's how they lost? I was half asleep watching it last night so I wasn't sure exactly what I missed

LightningLord

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, yeah that's what I thought was going to happen too. I can't figure out how they lost unless Tommen is now just a figurehead for the High Sparrow to do what he wants and that's how they lost? I was half asleep watching it last night so I wasn't sure exactly what I missed
I'm still very unsure how they lost. I'm guessing we'll learn more about it soon. After bran, meera, and coldhands/benjen's part to kick off the episode, it was hard to stay concentrated on the petty nature of things at king's landing.

Reactions: j0e and Jaded

j0e

Bounty Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tommen is just highly impressionable and never really had a father figure, so he's looking up to the Sparrow now. Cersei is most definitely plotting something in the background though, even influencing Tommens choices.. no way she forgives the faith for what they did.

Last edited:

LightningLord

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tommen is just highly impressionable and never really had a father figure, so he's looking up to the Sparrow now. Cersei is most definitely plotting something in the background though, even influencing Tommens choices.. no way she forgives the faith for what they did.
See I feel like it's actually Margaery that is plotting right now. There's no way she became brain-washed that quickly by the faith.
As a second note, I feel like last night's episode made it a little clearer that the mad king was having a "flash-forward" thingy just like hodor. He was screaming "burn them all," which Jaime took to mean the residents of king's landing, but he actually meant all the wights and white walkers.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Oh man, so many good points in here!

Totally agree that Arya was getting 'trained', it just took too damn long. I would love for her to reunite with The Hound and take down Cersei and The Mountain together come finale time :fingerscrossed:

I also think that Margery is pulling the strings here. No way she's all devout now. Let's not forget she showed Tommen her boobs (and more :eek:) so he's gonna do anything to get her back.

And LightningLord @LightningLord your connection with hordor/the mad king is very interesting!

Lastly, I am so frustrated with how they've turned Jamie back into Cersei's clutches. IIRC he had pretty well written her off in the last book.

Last edited:

LightningLord

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh man, so many good points in here!

Totally agree that Arya was getting 'trained', it just took too damn long. I would love for her to reunite with The Hound and take down Cersei and The Mountain together come finale time :fingerscrossed:

I also think that Margery is pulling the strings here. No way she's all devout now. Let's not forget she showed Tommen her boobs (and more :eek:) so he's gonna do anything to get her back.

And LightningLord @LightningLord your connection with hordor/the mad king is very interesting!

Lastly, I am so frustrated with how they've turned Jamie back into Cersei's clutches. IIRC he had pretty well written her off in the last book.
Well now you know this isn't going to happen; to quote Ramsay Bolton, "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." :p
But for real, the thing I love most about the books is the semi-realism (yes, dragons; sure, zombie people; of course there are ice demons that have their own agenda) that george martin handles so perfectly, insofar as to make sure that character's decisions have actual realistic consequences.

I agree about jaime. I remember that cersei had sent a letter pleading for help while he was in the riverlands and he basically said, "fuck that bitch" and threw the letter in the fire.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Up until that last episode, Arya had been the story line I was most interested in.

I WANTED her to be a faceless man.

Now she's just some dork with a face.

DCI

Reaction score
Up until that last episode, Arya had been the story line I was most interested in.

I WANTED her to be a faceless man.

Now she's just some dork with a face.
A lot of people saying they're disappointed with her leaving, but I think it's pretty unlikely she's just going to be able to skip town after killing that other girl and that's the end of it. They wouldn't have spent all that time on it.

My guess is the man will reappear and that maybe he won't be such a bad guy after all. Arya will give him smug bitch's face and they'll share a hearty laugh while they train top secret assassin techniques.

Reactions: j0e and Jaded

DCI

Reaction score
I'm all for not being picky about realism as long as the story line is good and makes sense, but tonight's episode is really pushing it...

'patched up' lol

Sure, np, time to jump off some balconies.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
It's starting to get a little dry... Idk

Reactions: DCI and j0e