01/29 - Favoriting Friday!

Who do you think should escape going to council this week?

• http://www.mturkcrowd.com/posts/27497/

• http://www.mturkcrowd.com/posts/27539/

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh, the sound of construction paper being cut or ripped makes my teeth hurt.
I have an issue with velvet and velure type stuff. Just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

I can't eat peaches. The fuzz hurts my teeth.

Setitoff

Reaction score
Well if you are a doctor or a lawyer, you legally NEED a degree. If we're just talking about web development, I know plenty of web developers in well paying jobs that don't have degrees however. The biggest and hardest lesson I ever learned in life is that my degree isn't shit without relevant experience. Bill gates was a harvard DROPOUT. Even though Bill gates doesn't need a job right now, if he went to ANY computer company for a programming position, who gets the job? Bill Gates, or a guy with a degree from harvard?

Bill gates gets it because of everything he has done. Experience wins everytime
I'm doing some basic wordpress web development on the side. I get to work on gigs that are $500-$1500 and I don't have a degree. I do have to interact with clients sometimes and they don't care if I have a degree or not. If I were to work at a large firm or company, I'm sure they would want me to have a degree. Anything that is "white-collar", I expect a degree to be a requirement. In freelance, it's my experience that clients want to know what you can do, not what papers you have.

Crissy

Reaction score
What if she doesn't even tap dance... what if she just really wants to annoy the shit out of her downstairs neighbor?
Me and both my kids tap! If we did have a downstairs neighbor that'd be hysterical.

Reactions: Krikket

Lepi

Contributor
Reaction score
Well if you are a doctor or a lawyer, you legally NEED a degree. If we're just talking about web development, I know plenty of web developers in well paying jobs that don't have degrees however. The biggest and hardest lesson I ever learned in life is that my degree isn't shit without relevant experience. Bill gates was a harvard DROPOUT. Even though Bill gates doesn't need a job right now, if he went to ANY computer company for a programming position, who gets the job? Bill Gates, or a guy with a degree from harvard?

That wouldn't be experience... that would be brand recognition.

You can spend 10 years making bitchin' websites and still get turned down for jobs over other, less experienced applicants, because the HR department trashes your resume when they see that you don't have a degree.

Not sure why I wrote "dress" there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil_Dawg

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: New 2 to 3 minute survey | PANDA
Requester: Oriana Schenck [A1YMA0FPY2NKYV] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 3.83][Fair: 5.00][Comm: 5.00][Fast: 5.00]
Description:
Read photograph, answer questions
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.25
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95; Total approved HITs is greater than 50; Location is US

Cara

ad space now available
Contributor
Reaction score
hit scraper will show TO colours if i uncheck correct for skips, but then it only shows like 10 hits.

how do i fix this? x

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Rate Personal Care Brands by Luxury | PANDA
Requester: Brand Lab [A2DTM6MBD0ZWES] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 3.26][Fair: 3.21][Comm: 1.47][Fast: 3.60]
Description:
Rate about 45 personal care brands by how eco-friendly you think they are
Time: 16 minutes
Reward: $0.90
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 500; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 97; Location is US

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: A short study on a consumption scenario | PANDA
Requester: Richie L. Liu [A1FO8K23UVKOLP] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 3.50][Fair: 5.00][Comm: 0.00][Fast: 5.00]
Description:
Answer questions regarding a consumption scenario
Time: 20 minutes
Reward: $0.45
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 500; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95; Location is US

Princess Gina Marie

Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh, the sound of construction paper being cut or ripped makes my teeth hurt.
Exactly ._.

It makes no sense, but yesssss. Hearing someone rub construction paper will literally make me run out of the room, too. Oh god that's the worst, my hands feel like they're tingling and burning when I hear it.

Reactions: essjay and Azazael

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Exactly ._.

It makes no sense, but yesssss. Hearing someone rub construction paper will literally make me run out of the room, too. Oh god that's the worst, my hands feel like they're tingling and burning when I hear it.
Nail files do that to me. Ick

Reactions: Azazael

sinon

Watashi ga Kita!
Contributor
Reaction score
no, it doesn't make you lazy,but borrowing money to pay out of state rates isn't the nations problem either. I put myself through college so I understand how it works. I worked two jobs while I was in school, i bought the crappiest books (cheapest) i could find and I filled out every scholarship form I could dredge up, and only then did I add any student loans to cover what was left.

If someone has $50,000 in student loans after 2 years it usually means that they made zero attempt to pay for any of it themselves.
That's great that you were able to pay for school that way, but circumstances are different for every person. Just because someone has to use student loans doesn't mean they also don't apply for scholarships. It also doesn't mean that they don't try to pay for as much of their schooling as they can. With people who have to pay a lot of bills outside of college, it doesn't always make it easy to go the route you did. I graduated high school with my mom bawling her eyes out because our family pretty much figured there was no way I could ever go to college.

People like to throw around how easy it can be for some people without even considering the individual factors that play into one's life. I've gotten lots of scholarships and grants for my schooling, but because of my own personal circumstances in life, I have had to take out loans. It isn't fair to claim someone who is in a lot of debt for two years of school has made zero effort when you don't even know the person. Blanket statements do not help anyone walk in another person's shoes. You are free to your opinion, however, and I hope that you do not take this reply as an argument. I'm nowhere near 50k debt for two years but we're fooling ourselves if we say that college is cheap or easy for most people to get through without the loans. Just look at the trillions of dollars in national debt students across the country have accumulated. I'm sure most of them aren't lazy or putting in zero effort to pay for their education.

Lepi

Contributor
Reaction score
God now I can't stop thinking about peaches.

cassius

Reaction score

No, the person with the Harvard degree who is 30 years younger than BG will get the job. Gates is an old guy now and old guys don't always come up with fresh invigorating ideas. He had his day. Now it's someone else's turn. Ask an HR person.

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly ._.

good to know, if I ever meet you I'll make sure to bring some construction paper................

Azazael

Reaction score
Nail files do that to me. Ick
I had an ex girlfriend who for YEARS pestered me that she wanted to "file my nails" and I told her everytime no, that even the thought of that happening is akin to hearing nails on a chalkboard. She just didn't get it, mind you, I 99% of the time cut my nails down to nothing.

Reactions: Princess Gina Marie

alithia

Oblivion
Contributor
Reaction score
There is also the problem of resumes being trashed before they get to HR because you haven't used the correct buzz words to get past their stupid HR system.

Reactions: Azazael

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly ._.

The sound of people eating makes me want to punch things. I have to leave when people eat >.>

Also the sound/feeling of scratching cloth.

Reactions: Princess Gina Marie

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score

For every Bill gates their are 100s of thousands of people who started a business and failed. If I have a degree and the qualifications necessary for a job opening, I am not worried that I will be competing with a Bill Gates. I am not even overly worried about the guy without a degree with similar skills to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.