02/27 - Sergey Hangover Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twirdman

Reaction score
anybody work on the Mturk Data hits
got the qual, guess I can use them to practice my small writing
Yeah I work on them. They're not too bad. Not the greatest thing in the world but seem to be good for filler if you can quickly think up articles to look for and are quick to write up a description. For me I can't manage to ham them, my brain gets all weird trying to continually think of topics, so I tend to do a few stop for a little while then do a few more. Has the added effect that technically you can think of what your next few ones should be about while working on other hits or doing other things.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried amphetamines Erdos was able to be one of the most brilliant mathematicians on them and only needed like 4 hours of sleep a day on them. (Note not actually advocating the use of amphetamines)
Heh. They would probably kill me now. I wasn't so kind to my body in my 20s. I totally (did not, cough) use(d) a stimulant or two, or four, back in the day. I'm not sure I would survive them now, lol.

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
I get that everyone's situations are different. I think it's good that you don't think of other people doing better than you at something as negative, that's mainly what I was trying to get across.
Exactly. I am not kidding myself that I could make as much as some here, but I could make more if I was depending on just me to make a living. My wife is the bread winner so I don't have to make the dough. On the other hand she does almost nothing around here and very little of the real care for our son so I don't feel to guilty about it.

I was also going to say that this is a young man/woman's game with those fast reflexes and mad computer skills, but then I remember that Devil_Dawg @Catfish makes pretty good bank and that guy is practically in the grave already.

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure! Admission is $50 per hour session. Results not guaranteed.
Nor really hoped for from the perspective of the presenters :wink:

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Pro steps to turking

1. Post all day on the forum, any thought that comes into your head. Any off-topic gif.
2. Stare at the wall for several minutes at a time
3. Cuss at hitscraper
?????????????????
12. Profit!

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Pro steps to turking

1. Post all day on the forum, any thought that comes into your head. Any off-topic gif.
3. Cuss at hitscraper
?????????????????
12. Profit!
I've got step one down to a science. Gotta work on my wall staring though.

Babadooba

Contributor
Reaction score
I was also going to say that this is a young man/woman's game with those fast reflexes and mad computer skills, but then I remember that Devil_Dawg @Catfish makes pretty good bank and that guy is practically in the grave already.
Pro steps to turking

3. Cuss at hitscraper
?????????????????
12. Profit!
relevant to both

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
^^^:yesyes:

I stressed super hard the first few months, really thinking the extra cash would solve some problems. And yep, it sure would. But a whole bunch of other problems showed up when I focused on earning all the money I possibly could on mturk. So now I try and strike a balance. I really *do* need the extra money for certain reasons, but we aren't going to starve without it, and we will still have a decent roof over our heads.

My kid got really pissed at me one night for putting him off to finish some hits and he let me have it. That kind of re-framed things for me. I'm doing this for us, for a better life, but I'm clearly not achieving that goal if he's pissed at me for the work I'm doing to achieve that goal (does that even make sense? lol)
I know exactly what you are saying. yesterday when the sergey's were flying I had to pick up my son from school and then go interview a potential care giver. That took 1 1/2 hours away from $25+ an hour sergeys. The thought briefly passed my mind that I would call and cancel it, but then I quickly reminded myself why I chose to be home (and able to turk) instead of at a full time salaried job where I drew lines on a computer all day.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of kids and turking (well, at least I was speaking of that), my kid needs some extra money right now. He has debts he has to pay off and he wants a new computer game. So I told him he needed to work more to earn the money and pay down some of that debt before he buys a new game.

He snapped at me, "It's not like I can go on mturk and make some easy extra cash, Mom!" I replied, "Yeah, I'll be your requester, baby. And I pay a lot better than many mturk requesters. Now, let's discuss your reward amount for mowing the front lawn..."

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I work on them. They're not too bad. Not the greatest thing in the world but seem to be good for filler if you can quickly think up articles to look for and are quick to write up a description. For me I can't manage to ham them, my brain gets all weird trying to continually think of topics, so I tend to do a few stop for a little while then do a few more. Has the added effect that technically you can think of what your next few ones should be about while working on other hits or doing other things.
Exactly the same for me. Did tons after getting the qual now do them when my brain is working and in the mood to write. So only a few today.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Speaking of kids and turking (well, at least I was speaking of that), my kid needs some extra money right now. He has debts he has to pay off and he wants a new computer game. So I told him he needed to work more to earn the money and pay down some of that debt before he buys a new game.

He snapped at me, "It's not like I can go on mturk and make some easy extra cash, Mom!" I replied, "Yeah, I'll be your requester, baby. And I pay a lot better than many mturk requesters. Now, let's discuss your reward amount for mowing the front lawn..."
The look on his face when he mows the lawn and you reject his work anyway will be priceless.

Pink Frost

Reaction score

Tell him it pays $0.05 per square foot. And if he does it too fast then you're lowering the pay next time.

Azazael

Reaction score

HAHA, that's awesome!

Reactions: tricker

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
anybody work on the Mturk Data hits
got the qual, guess I can use them to practice my small writing
They also granted another qual for the .15 ones via email if you do enough. I like those due to no article hunting so a bit quicker but about the same amount of writing.

Reactions: Roscoe E Goldchain

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
The look on his face when he mows the lawn and you reject his work anyway will be priceless.
LOL! Gasping for air. OMG. I so could have done that! He left a few mohawks and corners unmowed. Clearly sub-par work.

But I didn't. I just grabbed the mower and ran it over those few spots. I'm way too soft on him! He'd never survive turking.

Reactions: Azazael and Pleco

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
Tell him it pays $0.05 per square foot. And if he does it too fast then you're lowering the pay next time.
Brilliant! I really need to up my game on this chore thing. I'm making it too easy on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.