04/21 - The What? Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krikket

YouTube Connoisseur
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Let's be honest. We're always a few comments away from either eugenics, or cannibalism.

...And right now we're a few comments away from both of those. It's like a planetary alignment.
Can we just skip to the cannibalism? I hear Jaded tastes like marshmallows

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Bby i'm just playin wit u, u know i don't mean it bby.

This song is for you, I don't know why it has a bunch of horses in the video, but whatever.

That was very eloquent. Thank you.

Reactions: Pippa and Pleco

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
I do believe people should start out without all of the scripts (aside from stuff like TO or HIT DB) and learn how to actually use the site before they start adding a bunch of things on to it. Things like Turkmaster and HIT Scraper are really great for improving quality of life, but I think it's important to understand why those tools are necessary to really get the most out of them. Also, many of those tools aren't for everyone. Personally, I prefer to refresh with a refresh extension rather than TM. That's just preference. New turkers that have all of this stuff shoved in their face when they're brand new don't really get a chance to figure out what they need for improving their work flow and why they need it. I think that just leads to a lot of people becoming totally dependent on tools that they really know little about.
I believe this to be true for me. I turked for a good couple of months without anything. I just learned about Hit Monitor this past week after a year in. I still don't utilize that like I probably could.

Reactions: aveline

Tuesday

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
Well. No. The conclusion wasn't that we were enabling people. the conclusion was that just linking new comers to a crap ton of scripts without any effort to encourage them to figure out how the base site works was doing them a disservice. For a while there, we were noticing that every single batch there would be newer members going "DOES THIS HAVE A SCRIPT?" but when pressed, they couldn't even quantify what is was they wanted a script to do. It was just... there's a batch, where's the easy button? The consensus was that it's equally important to learn how to turk Vanilla, because scripts aren't going to magically make you able to turk, all they do is make turking easier. Throwing a script at someone right off the bat when they don't even know how to use the site is like hurling 300 dollars worth of skiing equipment at someone who hasn't figured out how to walk through a snowy parking lot. The cart ahead of the horse sort of thing.

And I don't think I ever questioned how hard you were working. Turking is still plenty hard. It just used to be HARDER, because there was no real community support at all. You didn't have other workers to talk to about problems, you didn't have any kind of knowledge base to draw from. It was pretty much just you, your computer, and a website where the administration had no interest in enforcing their own TOS.
Good grief, I did not then and I am not now saying that you are or were questioning anything that I have done on Mturk. The whole interaction was kind of fun and light hearted. You agreed with me at the time. It seemed like it anyway.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Tuesday

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
I've read a couple of his books from the Stalking series... really good stuff.

Also I don't think you are being a smart ass or anything else... I have some way of typing that makes people tilt really easily and it is rarely intentional... but I'm 100% ok with you not agreeing with me and I rarely get angry about it. It's a good thing. Having people challenge your conclusions and ideas is important.
Thanks for the affirmation. I feel that I don't often express myself properly. It's not a problem with people who know me well. I want everyone to get it right. In the meantime Euell is awesome. I'm glad you like those.

Reactions: aveline

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score
There is one in the hit. Lower left of comment box. Starts at max per hit and counts down. Don't know about a script though.
Thanks... I have never done them but I have the qual and may do them for filler

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It was a real question in the survivor game. :p

"Which of your former teammates would you want to eat and why?"
You crazy kids and your survivor game and your double entendres. In my time your courted a girl for 2 years and then gave her father 20 cows for her, or 15 if she was kinda ugly.

Reactions: Vanyanka

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: 3-Question qualifying survey; if you qualify, $1 bonus survey (10 min)
Requester: Professor David Schkade [A1XXOUP79YDQOA] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 0.00 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 3
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: First, you will be asked to fill out a few short questions. If you qualify, you will be redirected to a 10 min scenario survey that pays $1 via bonus.
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.05
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 98, Total approved HITs is greater than 50, Location is US

10 seconds, no idea how long if you qualify

Reactions: Pleco

Pippa

Contributor
Reaction score
Just an observation of forum posting in general is that emotion can't really be conveyed well at times. Throw in different temperaments and regional differences along with quick postings and things can quickly escalate.

I had to learn just to take people as they are and they've probably had to do that with me as well. That's what makes it a diverse community.

This is coming from a sensitive, southern lady who doesn't like to rock the boat, but doesn't mind riding in one. :whistle2:

Pippa

Contributor
Reaction score
It was a real question in the survivor game. :p

"Which of your former teammates would you want to eat and why?"
I guess I missed out on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.