• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For anyone that has never dealt with ODD, it is like having the most stubborn person in the world to deal with. You can not make them do anything no matter how much you try.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: What do you think should happen?(~ 25 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Decision Making and Law [A3HUGM2A7Q4LXE]
TurkerView: [ $12.51 / hour ]
Description: Read a series of short story and give your opinions
Duration: 60 Min
Available: 1
Reward: $2.50
Qualifications:
  • Exc: [115942240-138578] DoesNotExist
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
  • Location In US
[33R3EO5N2NR23XGP31UGDUEFT0Y77M]

Reactions: MirrorMan

Questicle

Reaction score
She's 15 a freshman in high school.....I'll tell the story. When she was younger she was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, she was super difficult to deal with for awhile, temper tantrums lots of refusal to do things, just a difficult child. Her ability as a student isn't that she's dumb cause she's not..it's an effort thing. She has always done everything extremely slow, from chores to eating to school work, just really really slow.

Well for years she basically decided she wasn't going to do anything at school because they'd just pass her anyway. Riding her as a parent does nothing, at one point her counselor told us to let her fail, let real life consequences happen, we did, she didn't care.

Well now it's freshman year of high school....she's failing every class, and finally last night she is sitting here crying about how she can't pass anything after we told her for months she needed to put in effort this year. She won't do homework...she doesn't really do any work she is supposed to...

Then she'll bring up her magic bullet idea "can I be home schooled" to which I'm like oh no....you don't listen to me about picking up your shoes let alone that...not to mention she's lazy and thinks home school means she won't have to do anything.

I just don't know how to give someone a drive/work ethic that does not have one, she skips class, has like 50 tardies, and I got a call the other day that she refused to put her phone away about 7 times when a teacher told her to.

She is also part of major drama at school....she lives for that shit though.

That is what I am dealing with.
I feel your pain. We deal with the same diagnosis here. It can be very hard to remember that they have a disability when you are in the middle of a shitstorm. I hope that you find treatment and/or meds that help.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do think you should look into mental health services though. From personal experience and a similar situation.
I understand that, she went through a lot of this at a younger age...she was on meds which mellowed her out to a degree but her school stuff never improved and mom would rather not have her medicated which I understand.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Christ, I'm glad that the biggest drama in my house right now is that my 13 year old is jealous that the 3 year old got a bigger bag of easter candy than she did for Easter.
I would gladly trade you....

Reactions: sofaslug

Dottie

Reaction score
Is any else's hitscraper broken...?

It's not refreshing.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyCatLady

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone that has never dealt with ODD, it is like having the most stubborn person in the world to deal with. You can not make them do anything no matter how much you try.
I was diagnosed with this when I was a teenager, so I know first hand what it is like. I understand the mind setting. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. Have you looked into another opinion though?

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel your pain. We deal with the same diagnosis here. It can be very hard to remember that they have a disability when you are in the middle of a shitstorm. I hope that you find treatment and/or meds that help.
It's also really weird because we have raised 4 kids..2 boys, 2 girls.

Oldest boy is finishing his freshman year of college, 16 year old boy is a sophomore pumping A's and doing a lot of extra carriculars while having a job.

Oldest girl is 18 had a baby isn't with the dad anymore....basically had to test out of high school because she refused to go or do any work and youngest girl yea...

How do I get such different out comes?

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
When I told her at her age 90% of home school is going to be doing a lesson plan on a computer and reading all day she didn't wanna do it anymore...her home school angle is basically trying to get the same reward for doing less because she doesn't really know what it entails.
I'd let her find out for herself. Treat her like the almost-adult that she is.

I'm probably overstepping, but it seems like you're always up against the wall with something (or multiple things). As friendly as we all are, and some of us might even be experts in our field- we're just an Mturk forum. This is a daily work thread full of work and shitposts. These are topics for professionals who can get the full scope of the situation rather than just a one-sided snippet on the internet. :sofa:

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm probably overstepping, but it seems like you're always up against the wall with something (or multiple things). As friendly as we all are, and some of us might even be experts in our field- we're just an Mturk forum. This is a daily work thread full of work and shitposts. These are topics for professionals who can get the full scope of the situation rather than just a one-sided snippet on the internet. :sofa:
Agreed. I wish you the best of luck Mecca @Mecca

Reactions: scrmcasey

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Nah I know, I'm not expecting life altering advice. Just trying to see things from a different perspective, I've told her she's nearly an adult several times to try to push that, I do think sometimes she isn't aware of it. I think she sees herself a lot more as someone who is like 12 than someone who is 15 if you know what I mean.

teal4life

Why I Turk
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that, she went through a lot of this at a younger age...she was on meds which mellowed her out to a degree but her school stuff never improved and mom would rather not have her medicated which I understand.
I understand the no medication idea, but have to say this. If your child was diabetic, you would get them insulin. If medication can help take the edge off enough that she can then begin to learn the controls needed, it might be worth a try. My older daughter is involved in the mental health services here in Kansas City and I will be glad to ask her when she gets home about services she may know of to help you and I can PM them to you later if you would like. No offense taken if not.

Reactions: themildone

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Title: Survey about social categories. (~ 7 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Social Cognitive Development Lab [AFIUI62ZVMDFA]
TurkerView: [ $14.71 / hour ]
Description: In this survey you will be asked 30 simple agree/disagree statements about social categories.
Duration: 45 Min
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications:
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100
  • Exc: [145971-145382] DoesNotExist
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
  • Location In US
[33UIGJTG3O73192AHGXNFB22LPTZ1M]

Reactions: MirrorMan

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
It's also really weird because we have raised 4 kids..2 boys, 2 girls.

Oldest boy is finishing his freshman year of college, 16 year old boy is a sophomore pumping A's and doing a lot of extra carriculars while having a job.

Oldest girl is 18 had a baby isn't with the dad anymore....basically had to test out of high school because she refused to go or do any work and youngest girl yea...

How do I get such different out comes?
Hey, congratz on your oldest daughter finally dumping the dipshit. That baby will be better off without super douche around.

Reactions: themildone

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Title: A survey about travel decision-making (screening applies) | Accept
Requester: daisy [A3SFUTFP4RQ72Z] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$10.79] [Pay=Good] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=1.69] [Fast=1.89] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=2.09] [Reviews=15] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 1:00:00
Description: A survey about travel decision-making (read a scenario first then answer questions; screening applies)
Qualifications: Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Title: Quick Survey about Health Products(~ 4 minutes) | Accept
Requester: YCCI [A3RAU1TKHW84PN] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$13.33] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.20] [Fast=3.00] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=2.78] [Reviews=21] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=6.66] [Pen=0.44] [Res=null] [Rec=86] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 30:00
Available: 111
Description: Quick Survey about Health Products
Qualifications: Exc: [1150684894-145473] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 94; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Kliq

Reaction score
Title: Complete a video task and survey (~30-45 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Zachary C. Irving [AG0YJ2MHF28IA] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$26.61] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 5.00
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 0
Description: We are conducting an academic study about thinking. You will respond to a video task and answer questions about your thoughts (estimated time: 30-45 minutes). Select the link below to complete the study.
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey, congratz on your oldest daughter finally dumping the dipshit. That baby will be better off without super douche around.
Yea, her new boyfriend is also a douche...if old boyfriend is super douche this boyfriend is the nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.