• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One other question this morning......does anyone have a kid that struggles with school and if so what do you do...

Reactions: teal4life

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
One other question this morning......does anyone have a kid that struggles with school and if so what do you do...
Well, Struggles with school how? Academically or Socially? How are they struggling? How old are they?

teal4life

Why I Turk
Contributor
Reaction score
I had one that struggled with both social and academically. Even had the system step in, she was tough. Would not attend, could not make her even with threats and going to Juvenile Hall. Therapy was the only thing that helped some. Only thing that saved me and husband with the state was my other two were great about school.
She is now 24 and still struggles with life. Once she turned 18, she refused treatment.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, Struggles with school how? Academically or Socially? How are they struggling? How old are they?
She's 15 a freshman in high school.....I'll tell the story. When she was younger she was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, she was super difficult to deal with for awhile, temper tantrums lots of refusal to do things, just a difficult child. Her ability as a student isn't that she's dumb cause she's not..it's an effort thing. She has always done everything extremely slow, from chores to eating to school work, just really really slow.

Well for years she basically decided she wasn't going to do anything at school because they'd just pass her anyway. Riding her as a parent does nothing, at one point her counselor told us to let her fail, let real life consequences happen, we did, she didn't care.

Well now it's freshman year of high school....she's failing every class, and finally last night she is sitting here crying about how she can't pass anything after we told her for months she needed to put in effort this year. She won't do homework...she doesn't really do any work she is supposed to...

Then she'll bring up her magic bullet idea "can I be home schooled" to which I'm like oh no....you don't listen to me about picking up your shoes let alone that...not to mention she's lazy and thinks home school means she won't have to do anything.

I just don't know how to give someone a drive/work ethic that does not have one, she skips class, has like 50 tardies, and I got a call the other day that she refused to put her phone away about 7 times when a teacher told her to.

She is also part of major drama at school....she lives for that shit though.

That is what I am dealing with.

alk69

Reaction score
Title: Write about a personal wish | Accept
Requester: Timur Sevincer [AI2PXI60ZWGGH] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$10.47] [Pay=Good] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.50] [Fast=4.50] [Comm=3.50] [Fair=4.50] [Reviews=16] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.80
Duration: 10:00
Available: 1
Description: In this short survey you will be asked to name and write about a personal wish. You will also be asked to answer some questions about your wish.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

2:30
I'm still wishing this paid more. ''Write about'' for .80 is a bad wish.

Reactions: sofaslug

teal4life

Why I Turk
Contributor
Reaction score
She's 15 a freshman in high school.....I'll tell the story. When she was younger she was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, she was super difficult to deal with for awhile, temper tantrums lots of refusal to do things, just a difficult child. Her ability as a student isn't that she's dumb cause she's not..it's an effort thing. She has always done everything extremely slow, from chores to eating to school work, just really really slow.

Well for years she basically decided she wasn't going to do anything at school because they'd just pass her anyway. Riding her as a parent does nothing, at one point her counselor told us to let her fail, let real life consequences happen, we did, she didn't care.

Well now it's freshman year of high school....she's failing every class, and finally last night she is sitting here crying about how she can't pass anything after we told her for months she needed to put in effort this year. She won't do homework...she doesn't really do any work she is supposed to...

Then she'll bring up her magic bullet idea "can I be home schooled" to which I'm like oh no....you don't listen to me about picking up your shoes let alone that...not to mention she's lazy and thinks home school means she won't have to do anything.

I just don't know how to give someone a drive/work ethic that does not have one, she skips class, has like 50 tardies, and I got a call the other day that she refused to put her phone away about 7 times when a teacher told her to.

I thought you said you live in Independence. If you do, have you tried Truman Mental Health Services?

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
I'm still wishing this paid more. ''Write about'' for .80 is a bad wish.
I agree but the writing on it is subjective since there wasn't really a length requirement on the writing.

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score

Does she have friends?
In regards to the cell phone, Most carriers have it so data and texts/calls can be shut off from any time range. That way they can only call emergency numbers or preset numbers by you. When she skips class where is she going?

Honestly, It sounds just like me in high school. Have she seen a therapist or someone to talk to? Has she has any trauma or reasons to feel unhopeful?

Reactions: scrmcasey

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you said you live in Independence. If you do, have you tried Truman Mental Health Services?
Yea I do and yes we went through them for awhile....her and therapy didn't do much, she will sit there and refuse to talk about anything. She was pissed at a school counselor yesterday for implying to her that a lot of her drama issues were her fault which well they are.

Reactions: teal4life

alk69

Reaction score
I did do that.

My girlfriend basically thinks it's because the orange cat is an asshole, the other 2 cats aren't nearly as bad about it as he is. But he's always been that way and I really don't know how to change that, he is an alpha the minute I got him he was new and put the other 2 cats right into their place.
What the orange cat needs to understand is that he is not the alpha--you are.

Reactions: KittyTacos

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Title: Consumer Survey | Accept
Requester: Pavel Naiya [A1M6A6GZ9ZRZWI] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$14.48] [Pay=Good] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.40
Duration: 1 day
Available: 1
Description: This is a short survey related to foldable phones. There is no right or wrong answer. Please give responses to the best of your ability.
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

1:30

Last edited:

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does she have friends?
In regards to the cell phone, Most carriers have it so data and texts/calls can be shut off from any time range. That way they can only call emergency numbers or preset numbers by you. When she skips class where is she going?

Honestly, It sounds just like me in high school. Have she seen a therapist or someone to talk to? Has she has any trauma or reasons to feel unhopeful?
Her friends are the lowest common denominator, she always falls into that crowd, It's just a bunch of stupid girl drama, one minute their friends then they hate each other etc etc.

She's had ISS several times this year. Honestly I think she'd just rather stare at facebook...she'd rather do that than anything. All she is ever doing is shit on social media she cares about nothing else.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

I don't think the homeschool is such a terrible idea. She could move at her own pace and work on her own motivation. If she doesn't, she never passes Sophomore year. I'd say independent learning is more stringent and takes more dedication than just being present in class. Might be good for her to realize. You could hold phone/friends hostage for the day until work is done, or if sufficient progress isn't being made after a semester or something. She may be able to choose coursework more relevant to her interests which could do wonders.

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
Her friends are the lowest common denominator, she always falls into that crowd, It's just a bunch of stupid girl drama, one minute their friends then they hate each other etc etc.

She's had ISS several times this year. Honestly I think she'd just rather stare at facebook...she'd rather do that than anything. All she is ever doing is shit on social media she cares about nothing else.

Take her phone away!!!!

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think the homeschool is such a terrible idea. She could move at her own pace and work on her own motivation. If she doesn't, she never passes Sophomore year. I'd say independent learning is more stringent and takes more dedication than just being present in class. Might be good for her to realize. You could hold phone/friends hostage for the day until work is done, or if sufficient progress isn't being made after a semester or something. She may be able to choose coursework more relevant to her interests which could do wonders.
When I told her at her age 90% of home school is going to be doing a lesson plan on a computer and reading all day she didn't wanna do it anymore...her home school angle is basically trying to get the same reward for doing less because she doesn't really know what it entails.

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
When I told her at her age 90% of home school is going to be doing a lesson plan on a computer and reading all day she didn't wanna do it anymore...her home school angle is basically trying to get the same reward for doing less because she doesn't really know what it entails.
Honestly, I would let her fail. Thought might be hard to watch, real consequences might change her mind.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I would let her fail. Thought might be hard to watch, real consequences might change her mind.
I made that decision a long time ago.....when sitting at the table with her to make her do her homework consisted of 3 hours of my evening being filled with her screaming and throwing things, I was like ok I've had enough this is punishing me.

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
I made that decision a long time ago.....when sitting at the table with her to make her do her homework consisted of 3 hours of my evening being filled with her screaming and throwing things, I was like ok I've had enough this is punishing me.
I do think you should look into mental health services though. From personal experience and a similar situation.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Status
Not open for further replies.