06/06 - Wild Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz

Babysitter
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like I'd create more trouble/expense for my family by working than the money I'd make and the job would be crappy/soul-sucking anyway :/ meanwhile my husband is getting recruitment emails from well-known tech companies and speaking all over the country and It's kind of a self esteem hit to be a stay at home mom some days.

oops this isn't sad pandas
I think you being home is wonderful!!!

Tell hubby to speakin in Indiana and bring those babies.

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
If someone disappeares unexpectedly I automatically assume they are dead. Especially if they don't respond to tags.

@Farmer Pleco @minkyboodle @everyone else I can't pull off the top of my head.

Spoiler alert: Minky and Pleco @Farmer Pleco fell in love, ran off together to get their kicks with a life of crime a la Bonnie and Clyde. After many successful robberies and lavish vacations with their spoils, they had a job that went bad and Pleco didn't make it out. Minky now travels the world as a hopeless drifter, using their remaining fortune to see all of the lands they'd dreamed of visiting together. She keeps Pleco's ashes in a locket around her neck so he is always with her. (May he rest in peace.)

My anxiety has gotten so awful since I stopped working, depression too. I think it's because I just spent too damned much time inside the house. I think that, more than the money, is why I really wanna get an IRL job.
My troubled Lowe's story aside, I actually agree that having a brick and mortar job helps with anxiety and depression. Even with everything that went on, I was able to handle it because I felt more confident in myself thanks to daily positive feedback from customers who loved me and the many coworkers who weren't soul-crushing sadists.

Interviews can be scary, but I just sort of corral the nervousness and project it into excitedness for the job/being personable. The thing to remember that helps things feel more balanced is that you're interviewing them too, and you wouldn't be sitting there if they didn't need you.

You can always try something PT, as a taste test. :)

AngelFace

Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness
Contributor
Reaction score

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

Spoiler alert: Minky and Pleco @Farmer Pleco fell in love, ran off together to get their kicks with a life of crime a la Bonnie and Clyde. After many successful robberies and lavish vacations with their spoils, they had a job that went bad and Pleco didn't make it out. Minky now travels the world as a hopeless drifter, using their remaining fortune to see all of the lands they'd dreamed of visiting together. She keeps Pleco's ashes in a locket around her neck so he is always with her. (May he rest in peace.)

My troubled Lowe's story aside, I actually agree that having a brick and mortar job helps with anxiety and depression. Even with everything that went on, I was able to handle it because I felt more confident in myself thanks to daily positive feedback from customers who loved me and the many coworkers who weren't soul-crushing sadists.

Interviews can be scary, but I just sort of corral the nervousness and project it into excitedness for the job/being personable. The thing to remember that helps things feel more balanced is that you're interviewing them too, and you wouldn't be sitting there if they didn't need you.

You can always try something PT, as a taste test. :)
1. That gif is weird.
2. RIP pleco
3. That spoiler is fucking horrendous. (up until the last bit.)
4. I'm so glad you posted! I missed you! :hug: :glomp: :hug2:
5. i'm definitely aiming for part time. Since I'm lucky enough to mooch off the inlaws and don't have to pay rent.

AngelFace

Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: UCSD Color Judgment (Takes ~10-15min) | PANDA
Requester: Timothy Brady [A2FOG3PS38SNIP] (Req TV): N/A
(TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
Description:
Judge the difference in some colors. Takes ~10-15 min. Please do not participate if you have difficulties with color vision.
Time: 2 hour(s)
HITs Available: 6
Reward: $1.20
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;

Reactions: 4ourfuture

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
This really resonates with me! My husband has a high stress job that involves international travel, fancy dinner meetings (both of which he hates and would rather be home) and important meetings. I have no family help and so the entirety of the family and home falls to me. And people have the audacity to act like I do nothing and that I am so lucky to have a husband who takes care of me. I am lucky to have him but they have it wrong...we take care of each other.
Sorry for the rant.
That's true - he wouldn't be able be as ambitious in his career if I were working too. I'm pretty much always OK with him going (with or without me) to speaking engagements and working extra in the evenings and whatnot. I tend to lump myself into the same dependent category as the kids but I do contribute more than they do :o_o:

I think you being home is wonderful!!!

Tell hubby to speakin in Indiana and bring those babies.
He submits talks to soooo many - I'm not sure if there's a JS conference in Indiana though!
He's got kansas city coming up (whole family is going because my sister lives there, yaay!), NYC again, florida, wisconsin, and I think utah.... and he's already been to 10 or so this year. I am super proud of him, my own issues aside.

4ourfuture

Contributor
Reaction score
I had my mom babysit when my first was born. I ended up having a lot of resentment because she wasn't doing things "my way" and she got to witness the firsts that I didn't. Once I started staying home, it took a while to build our relationship back up. I'm also more of a control freak than most, though.

I was always a pretty prestigious bread-winner, so it's definitely a struggle taking a backseat. I remind myself that they're only little for a short while, and soon they will be all grown up and won't need me... then I can go back to kicking my husband's ass at everything :p (I was a lot better at working than I am at keeping the house clean. But the kids are happy, healthy, and educated, so something had to give.)
You're right where you need to be, and this is so true. It goes by so fast and I want all the moments possible.

I hear you.. I would probably feel better if the house was clean. So hard with kids :confused: I've been thinking about starting a cleaning schedule... but I struggle to keep my identity while still doing adult responsible things. I never want to be one of those mommy juice wine ladies that sells lululemon and makes everything on pinterest and does elf on a shelf.
Cleaning the house with kids feels SO pointless sometimes. I try to clean and not think about how this will be undone in two minutes. I thought about making a cleaning schedule, but if I can't even get one on paper, will I actually follow it? nope.
Oh god, I know exactly the type of mom you're talking about and I refuse to become one of them. Also, I have such a hatred or the whole elf on the shelf thing, I don't even know where to start. I should not get this worked up over that stupid thing, but oh well.

Stacy B

Ask me about Horse Racing. Please.
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Survey about Work, Health, & Work Ability: 20 minutes | Accept
Requester: Alyssa McGonagle [A2A2L14OI199OK] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: No Reviews
TO2: [Hrly=null] [Pen=null] [Res=100%] [Rec=0%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 3600
Available: 1
Description: 20-minute survey about work, and health for *full-time workers* (35+ hrs/week) in the U.S.
Qualifications: Employment Status: Employed full time (35+ hours per week) EqualTo 1; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 98; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: MikeC44

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
1. That gif is weird.
2. RIP pleco
3. That spoiler is fucking horrendous. (up until the last bit.)
4. I'm so glad you posted! I missed you! :hug: :glomp: :hug2:
5. i'm definitely aiming for part time. Since I'm lucky enough to mooch off the inlaws and don't have to pay rent.
1. I know! Isn't it awesome? :LOL:
2. His face was loveded.
3. Right? I almost ended up in the psych ward (again) in a couple of places. Thank Bob for tenacity.
4. I misseded you too! Thank you for continuing to tag me in the taggy thread!:blueheart:
5. The good thing about PT is that if it isn't great, you have time allotted to look for something better. If it works, it allows you to show yourself and get FT.

Reactions: Sondi and Jaded

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Participation in this study requires:

-Access to a printer: you will be asked to print out a document (a single sheet of paper).

I chucked that one back because the effort of installing a new ink cartridge, finding paper that wasn't scribbled on, and hoping that drivers were updated wasn't worth the trouble :p

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
You're right where you need to be, and this is so true. It goes by so fast and I want all the moments possible.

Cleaning the house with kids feels SO pointless sometimes. I try to clean and not think about how this will be undone in two minutes. I thought about making a cleaning schedule, but if I can't even get one on paper, will I actually follow it? nope.
Oh god, I know exactly the type of mom you're talking about and I refuse to become one of them. Also, I have such a hatred or the whole elf on the shelf thing, I don't even know where to start. I should not get this worked up over that stupid thing, but oh well.
Elf on a shelf takes me to new levels of rage. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why but something about the already crushing holiday expectations on moms/pinterest nonsense/authoritarian surveillance normalization/etc makes me stabby

Status
Not open for further replies.