11/05 - Sciency Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of scammers will get exposed right away so paying a fee will probably hurt them a lot and make scamming not worth it thus eliminating them. If workers paid a fee in order to lower the requester 40% fee we will see requesters offer more money for their hits.
Even if I had to pay $10 to use MTurk and the requester fees got lowered in exchange, then requesters could afford to pay workers a little more (but would they do that, or would they just keep that extra money?), and if they paid workers a little more, I'd maybe earn my $10 back. No real difference there.

carbonmonoxyd

Reaction score
I agree. Now only if amazon will lower the requester fee. They should make workers pay some amount of money because for one it will get rid of a lot of the scammers and two we should see a pay raise in our wage. My two cents anyways.
i don't think that will happen, i bet they are pretty butt hurt that the new "premium qualifications" are not very successful.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Even if I had to pay $10 to use MTurk and the requester fees got lowered in exchange, then requesters could afford to pay workers a little more (but would they do that, or would they just keep that extra money?), and if they paid workers a little more, I'd maybe earn my $10 back. No real difference there.
unless that fee caused a massive increase in the quality of work submitted. (there's no real reason to believe that follows though)

increasing requester willingness (or # of requesters) to increase total work.

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score

cassius

Reaction score
I'm confused how making workers pay to use MTurk would get rid of scammy requesters or lead to an increase in my own earnings.
they should not make workers pay to work here. That will put it in the same place as people who run scams on the Internet.

Reactions: K'Lee

weakman

Reaction score
If scammers are eliminated they would probably be able to offer more money right away. Not only this but we will get more work because that is probably the biggest obstacle for a lot of requesters.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I bet if you had to pass a test to make an mturk account the quality of HIT submissions would improve and pay wouldn't constantly be decreased.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
they should not make workers pay to work here. That will put it in the same place as people who run scams on the Internet.
I agree. They should not, nor do I believe they ever would, make workers pay to use the platform.

Reactions: kryss and cassius

carbonmonoxyd

Reaction score
I think that charging workers sets a dangerous tone, and could cause them some liability. The requesters all talk together and exchange information, they will only pay what they can get away with.

cassius

Reaction score
I agree. They should not, nor do I believe they ever would, make workers pay to use the platform.
It would hurt them because to pay to work is not the thing to do and not matter that it is Amazon,there will be many articles written about the scam they are running just because they made us pay. Won't be worth it to them. Other platforms will take over.

Natalie

Reaction score
A lot of scammers will get exposed right away so paying a fee will probably hurt them a lot and make scamming not worth it thus eliminating them. If workers paid a fee in order to lower the requester 40% fee we will see requesters offer more money for their hits.
There are some requesters (esp from big name university and departments) that are getting their research funded from and because of the valuable data that (most) of us provide. Paying a fee defeats the purpose of a platform like this imo and I don't know about anyone else but i wouldnt be paying (however small the fee is) to do other peoples work or push out data for people getting paid. On the flip side, Amazon fees for requesters are already ridiculous

Reactions: cassius
Status
Not open for further replies.