Reaction score
Title: Consumer Survey(~ 7 minutes) | Accept
Requester: M Kwon [A3GEFG5NSHZIPY] Contact
TO: [Pay=2.10] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=13] [ToS=0]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 1320
Available: 28
Description: A short survey on consumers
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [-465078810-102779] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
hfh[/td][/tr]

Reactions: correena

rsclone

This is my partner Fellatio Del Toro
Banned
Reaction score
bring bug spray (it it has been anything like it has - up here). So many mosquitoes
the trail goes around a pond and a small lake fed by a couple small streams....it's like walking thru a curtain of mosquitos and bugs normally but wind was pretty strong so not many around....

Reactions: jan

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
What does this mean?
I don't think it means anything new. Some studies will have Captcha or ReCapthca embedded to help prevent bots. But, I don't see this as anything new or discouraging.:)

EDIT That said, the problem is not new, nor significantly larger than it has been, imo. I just think everyone is fueling this fake news fire. I'm not going to help them.

DBL EDIT This is why I stay away from FB and Reddit.

Last edited:

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it means anything new. Some studies will have Captcha or ReCapthca embedded to help prevent bots. But, I don't see this as anything new or discouraging.:)

EDIT That said, the problem is not new, nor significantly larger than it has been, imo. I just think everyone is fueling this fake news fire. I'm not going to help them.
Ah. Got it. yeah, I see a lot of ReCaptchas in studies I do, and I'm fine with it. We all know there are bots out there, people scam mturk as much as they can before they are caught, and mturk is doing NOTHING to work against that. I'm glad requesters are finding something they can use to make themselves feel better about using mturk.

Reactions: safelanding

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Ah. Got it. yeah, I see a lot of ReCaptchas in studies I do, and I'm fine with it. We all know there are bots out there, people scam mturk as much as they can before they are caught, and mturk is doing NOTHING to work against that. I'm glad requesters are finding something they can use to make themselves feel better about using mturk.
There's a small section of indian scammers w/american turk accounts and vpns.

Researchers refusing to block these workers is their own damn fault.
What does this mean?
Some ignorant researcher on reddit saw scam Indian results from a VPN as bots. (these are people writing nonsense and shit like "YES" "GOOD THING" for open-ended answer questions)

He wrote his "findings" on reddit.

Hack journalists wrote articles on the complete misinformation by saying turk is infested with bots taking surveys. This has gotten around to univerities who are adding recaptcha/captcha to all of their surveys now.

electrolyte @electrolyte contributed in a wonderful article posted by Wired. Her contributions are truly appreciated.

Last edited:

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score

Some ignorant researcher on reddit saw scam Indian results from a VPN as bots. (these are people writing nonsense and shit like "YES" "GOOD THING" for open-ended answer questions)

Hack journalists wrote articles on the complete misinformation by saying turk is infested with bots taking surveys. This has gotten around to univerities who are adding re-captcha to all of their surveys now.

electrolyte @electrolyte contributed in a wonderful article posted by Wired. Her contributions are truly appreciated.
I saw the original study posted by the alarmist, but only skimmed it and thought, "eh, easy enough to put in attention checks and reject those who fail, come on now..." Guess I missed stuff about captchas.

Now I'm going to go find that wired article.

ALinAL

Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed some new attention check methods popping up in surveys over the past couple of weeks. Aside from Captchas. I consider this a good thing on several levels, not the least of which being I'm way past annoyed by lazy requesters using the exact same damn attention checks over, and over, and over again.

A6_Foul_Out

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

cassius

Reaction score

DBL EDIT This is why I stay away from FB and Reddit.
well i don't know but i'm wondering what requesters are going to do when folks start sending surveys back with in those writing blocks that are underpaid that they are talking about with I Am Not a BOT within several times in all caps in them? I've seen more attention check questions this week than I can count. some surveys now have them every three questions. if they think they aren't going to tick people off ...

Reactions: rsclone and Trucker

cassius

Reaction score
I have noticed some new attention check methods popping up in surveys over the past couple of weeks. Aside from Captchas. I consider this a good thing on several levels, not the least of which being I'm way past annoyed by lazy requesters using the exact same damn attention checks over, and over, and over again.
there was even a survey one day that was nothing but attention checks. i think they were testing them out.

Reactions: safelanding

thismegan

resting cat face
Reaction score

Hack journalists wrote articles on the complete misinformation by saying turk is infested with bots taking surveys. This has gotten around to univerities who are adding recaptcha/captcha to all of their surveys now.

:yeahthat:

The responses posted in that first article mentioned earlier looked like typical foreign scammers on mturk. It's not surprising they share a proxy or VPN, and the requesters should just filter those out and report the accounts to Amazon. The paranoia is sad.

edit... Here's the Wired article is anyone is interested: https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-mechanical-turk-bot-panic/

Last edited:

rsclone

Banned
Reaction score
So I went and got a tetanus shot just to be on the safe side. They agreed that this was a good idea. They said they couldn't stitch it because I waited too long. My career as a hand model is over.
there's always lingerie shacks as a fall back....

Reactions: The Great Bread

rsclone

Banned
Reaction score

because paying people fairly for good work is out of the question....
keep paying us $3/hr for your "vital research" and expect to get extremely careful, well thought out and reasoned responses is the way to go....

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
well i don't know but i'm wondering what requesters are going to do when folks start sending surveys back with in those writing blocks that are underpaid that they are talking about with I Am Not a BOT within several times in all caps in them? I've seen more attention check questions this week than I can count. some surveys now have them every three questions. if they think they aren't going to tick people off ...
If I understand your first sentence, what they will do when they receive submissions with the writing portion filled in as "I AM NOT A BOT" is reject them, which is exactly what they should do for substandard work, regardless of it's pay. Don't accept a bad paying HIT. If you do occasionally, get over it. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. That's the price we pay to have the freedom to do what we want and still get paid. Anyone who gets ticked off about excessive attention checks, should maybe go find a different HIT to do, or stick to A9's. If the study pays fair for my time, it could literally all be attention checks and I couldn't care less. Nothing forces me to take a HIT. I am in complete control of what I decide to do, just like everyone else here.

And just to repost, this is not a new problem and there are solutions that work well to take care of most of it.
http://turkrequesters.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-bot-problem-on-mturk.html
I almost feel like we should move this topic to a different thread because it's a non-issue that is gaining credence just by us giving it so much attention.
My 2 cents.

A6_Foul_Out

Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
because paying people fairly for good work is out of the question....
keep paying us $3/hr for your "vital research" and expect to get extremely careful, well thought out and reasoned responses is the way to go....
https://www.reddit.com/r/mturk/comm...s_use_those_google_captcha/e4f5h2x/?context=3

ofc their evidence comes from surveys they pay 3/hour. Using well paid, well reviewed surveys on TO and TV wouldn't help their case at all because the vast majority of those responses would be of extremely high quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsclone

thismegan

resting cat face
Reaction score
So I went and got a tetanus shot just to be on the safe side. They agreed that this was a good idea. They said they couldn't stitch it because I waited too long. My career as a hand model is over.
You need to use protection, finger jockey!

Reactions: mboone73
Status
Not open for further replies.